I'm surprised how many people voted "rigorous". This is a Constitutional right, not a privilege. Can't tell you how many old grandmas I sold a firearm to who just wanted something to be able to carry to keep themselves safe. Should an 80 year old lady be denied the right to defend herself because she can't qualify expert marksman with her little 380? At the absolute MOST, I'd say pass a basic criminal history check to get a carry permit. Ideally, a carry permit doesn't even exist because you shouldn't need permission to exercise your rights.
The supreme court was very clear on the limits of the "right" to bear arms, and granny taking training and a practical test is constitutional according to the conservative majority of the Supreme Court. I should add though that the practical shooting portion of the test is a joke, a B27 target at 10 yards. A target 23 inches wide. The money factor is an issue and I explained above how I would like to see than changed, but there's no supreme court that has ever said that a "right" guarantees you access to the subject thing.
From Kavanaugh's opinion in Bruen:
Those shall-issue regimes may require a li-
cense applicant to undergo fingerprinting, a background
check, a mental health records check, and training in fire-
arms handling and in laws regarding the use of force,
among other possible requirements. Brief for Arizona et al.
as Amici Curiae 7. Unlike New York’s may-issue regime,
those shall-issue regimes do not grant open-ended discre-
tion to licensing officials and do not require a showing of
some special need apart from self-defense. As petitioners
acknowledge, shall-issue licensing regimes are constitu-
tionally permissible, subject of course to an as-applied chal-
lenge if a shall-issue licensing regime does not operate in
that manner in practice. Tr. of Oral Arg. 50−51.
Going forward, therefore, the 43 States that employ ob-
jective shall-issue licensing regimes for carrying handguns
for self-defense may continue to do so. Likewise, the 6
States including New York potentially affected by today’s
decision may continue to require licenses for carrying hand-
guns for self-defense so long as those States employ objec-
tive licensing requirements like those used by the 43 shall-
issue States.