18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

How would you design a CCW qual?

How rigorous should a CCW qual be?

  • Rigorous

  • Basic

  • Minimal

  • No qual required


Results are only viewable after voting.
Only said no qualification due to it being a constitutional right to carry. If the person carrying doesn’t want to spend the time and effort it takes to be efficient with their firearm then they should bare the consequences of their actions or lack thereof.
 
This is something that will be settled by a higher court one day
It literally already has as I quoted above, Heller and Bruen explicitly allows licensure even including just getting a permit to own a firearm at all . The outcome of Heller was that DC had to could continue to require permits but they couldn't restrict them based on "perceived need" meaning someone showing they had a special need for self defense. But other aspects of scrutiny for the permit are allowed, just as was clarified in Bruen with special regard to concealed carry permits.
 
First off I dont think the entire process should cost $1600+
(My entire process was actually way more because I got denied twice and hired a lawyer)

2nd it should be 100% the same for every county in the state.
My qualification, like we talked about before, is literally the hardest in the entire state. I still scored a 94 with my HD3.6 (only 1 hour of shooting before ccw class) and a 96 with my fuse length P365.

I think if the gun is legal to own, you should be able to carry it (off roster included)

Yes to comps and dots, triggers can be questionable.

As far as the actual test, I dont think it should go out past 15 yards. But you better hit a score of 90
My test includes 25 yard shots both standing and kneeling and on a timer.
If I shot someone at 25 yards, California would prosecute me, at 25 yards, the target is not a threat. You can retreat.

I dont think Emergency reload or tactical reload should be on the test. (Both on mine)

I dont think strong side only and support side only should be on the test (both on mine)

I think you should be required to put in 1 hour a month with your CCW gun, at an approved location, and it gets tucked in an efile or something.
I watched people who cant shoot for 💩 barely pass their ccw renewal, and admit they hadnt been to the range since the last ccw qual.
If you cant shoot for 💩, i dont need you shooting anywhere near me in public.
My wife and I both shoot 1500-2000 rounds EACH per month, granted its not all with our CCW guns, but We do shoot our CCW guns every 1-2 weeks as well. You want to carry, better be good with it.

I know long read, thats why I waited to post this, lol.

One more thing, it shouldnt take a year to get your CCW either

Feel free to criticize my thoughts, im open for discussion.
 
It literally already has as I quoted above, Heller and Bruen explicitly allows licensure even including just getting a permit to own a firearm at all . The outcome of Heller was that DC had to could continue to require permits but they couldn't restrict them based on "perceived need" meaning someone showing they had a special need for self defense. But other aspects of scrutiny for the permit are allowed, just as was clarified in Bruen with special regard to concealed carry permits.
Yes for that CCW.

California may require a permit, but the permit system cannot be discretionary, abusive, prohibitively expensive, excessively delayed, or structured to make public carry functionally unavailable to ordinary law-abiding citizens.
 
First off I dont think the entire process should cost $1600+
(My entire process was actually way more because I got denied twice and hired a lawyer)

2nd it should be 100% the same for every county in the state.
My qualification, like we talked about before, is literally the hardest in the entire state. I still scored a 94 with my HD3.6 (only 1 hour of shooting before ccw class) and a 96 with my fuse length P365.

I think if the gun is legal to own, you should be able to carry it (off roster included)

Yes to comps and dots, triggers can be questionable.

As far as the actual test, I dont think it should go out past 15 yards. But you better hit a score of 90
My test includes 25 yard shots both standing and kneeling and on a timer.
If I shot someone at 25 yards, California would prosecute me, at 25 yards, the target is not a threat. You can retreat.

I dont think Emergency reload or tactical reload should be on the test. (Both on mine)

I dont think strong side only and support side only should be on the test (both on mine)

I think you should be required to put in 1 hour a month with your CCW gun, at an approved location, and it gets tucked in an efile or something.
I watched people who cant shoot for 💩 barely pass their ccw renewal, and admit they hadnt been to the range since the last ccw qual.
If you cant shoot for 💩, i dont need you shooting anywhere near me in public.
My wife and I both shoot 1500-2000 rounds EACH per month, granted its not all with our CCW guns, but We do shoot our CCW guns every 1-2 weeks as well. You want to carry, better be good with it.

I know long read, thats why I waited to post this, lol.

One more thing, it shouldnt take a year to get your CCW either

Feel free to criticize my thoughts, im open for discussion.
Should people have to go to a class 1 hour per month to maintain their freedom of speech?
 
Can people get killed when you dont know how to control your mouth?
Yes? Just like they can get killed when you don't know how to control your car, or your alcohol consumption, or your lawnmower. Let's be realistic here, someone who doesn't train or practice is going to hurt themselves more than anyone else.
 
I doubt it, I hit where I aim, lol.
Should people have to go to a class 1 hour per month to maintain their freedom of speech? Why are you so scared to answer
tv show spoilers GIF
 
Yes? Just like they can get killed when you don't know how to control your car, or your alcohol consumption, or your lawnmower. Let's be realistic here, someone who doesn't train or practice is going to hurt themselves more than anyone else.
Imagine the irony if he gets ran over by a car, lmao. Bro wants mandatory monthly training for a civil right but lets have people drive death machines with 0 training ever lmao
 
Should people have to go to a class 1 hour per month to maintain their freedom of speech? Why are you so scared to answer
tv show spoilers GIF
Scared to answer? Lol.
Its a question set up to just argue, thats not whst im here for. We all know the obvious answer.
I just came to give my opinion on a question that was asked.
If people cant hit a target, they shouldnt carry, pretty simple.
If you cant shoot straight, you kill someone behind your target.
If your freedom of speech goes wrong, worst case scenario, you hurt someones feelings, and more than likely get punched in the same mouth that the freedom words came out of, lol.
In you guys logic, its ok for all the gang bangers to carry too? Shooting sideways, using punching motions on every trigger pull?
 
Scared to answer? Lol.
Its a question set up to just argue, thats not whst im here for. We all know the obvious answer.
I just came to give my opinion on a question that was asked.
If people cant hit a target, they shouldnt carry, pretty simple.
If you cant shoot straight, you kill someone behind your target.
If your freedom of speech goes wrong, worst case scenario, you hurt someones feelings, and more than likely get punched in the same mouth that the freedom words came out of, lol.
In you guys logic, its ok for all the gang bangers to carry too? Shooting sideways, using punching motions on every trigger pull?
Plenty of instances of cops accidentally shooting bystanders, and they have quite a bit more training than you're suggesting. In a stressful situation, whatever range practice any civilian is going to have is only going to go so far. Odds are 95% are going to pull their gun and start blasting in the general direction of the threat. We see it constantly with both police and civilian shootings.
And I don't care if someone is shooting with their damn toes, as long as they ain't doing so to commit a crime.
 
Plenty of instances of cops accidentally shooting bystanders, and they have quite a bit more training than you're suggesting. In a stressful situation, whatever range practice any civilian is going to have is only going to go so far. Odds are 95% are going to pull their gun and start blasting in the general direction of the threat. We see it constantly with both police and civilian shootings.
And I don't care if someone is shooting with their damn toes, as long as they ain't doing so to commit a crime.
Most LEO are horrible shooters. Almost none of them practice at all except when they have to pass a test.
I have one LEO friend who may actually shoot better than me though, he practices all the time.
 
Back
Top Bottom