I used to suggest the same, and by my reading of PC, that should be acceptable.
I no longer suggest that.
Sometime in the past, an attorney on Calguns posted that he advised his clients to NOT put their locked cases in the center console - too much chance (out of a very small chance) for a judge and a jury to make a mistake due to apparent ambiguity.
If not ccw, why would this be a problem if it’s already satisfied the requirement of safe transportation of a handgun of either locked in trunk unloaded or locked unloaded in a locked container (but not using the glove box or center console as the locked container) for within the vehicle.
For ccw, a lifepod 1.0 or 2.0 with a cable lock, under the passenger seat, securely cabled to the passenger seat anchor struts, satisfies the law; no?
The law states nothing in regards to ease of access. With the locked container, even if it was just a soft case pistol bag with a tsa mini padlock on it counts as a locked container within the vehicle; or even better with a vaultek barricade or lifepod 1.0 or 2.0 which is an actual doj approved safe. What’s wrong with this locked container with unloaded pistol placed inside the center console?
I remember many years ago, before I even had a ccw permit, I learned about the exemption for hunters and anglers on a active hunting or active angling trip, and the concealed unloaded to and from the destination. Game wardens I have asked about the exemption, the rural county ones and the ones with more years under their duty belt, were all in the understanding that the penal code is quite VAGUE (and not specific) on “to and from” destination. To and from can also mean from your front door to the car, and from the car to the trailhead on side of the highway in a rural county. I was advised to be able to articulate to an officer while being in full camo if stopped for something such as brake light bulb out, be careful when driving in sub-urban/city areas, and an officer fresh out of cadet school is different than an officer with more years in understanding gray areas.
When I asked some from more in the sub-urban areas, they were aware of the exemption, but they were all in the no, just because the law doesn’t say not to do it, doesn’t mean you go do it, and possibly mess it up for everybody else. However, if you look up the exemption with the Santa Clara county DA’s office, they recognize the exemption of to and from on an active hunting or angling trip.
Isn’t that the purpose of the law, to state what is prohibited; and what isn’t stated as prohibited, is not prohibited? Obviously it doesn’t mean to drive around with a fishing pole, and take total advantage of it. They were thinking it’s locked container from front door to car, car to parking area, unlock container when parked at the trailhead, and conceal carry unloaded from then on. But, where I hunt at, by the time I enter I can already concealed carry loaded or open carry loaded on an active hunting trip since the discharge of firearms are allowed there.
I called multiple CHP offices, they have never heard of such exemption, and they were all in the no as well. They seen it as unloaded locked in container, until parking at the trailhead. One office, the first officer who answered the call, told me the locked container needed to be in the trunk, ammo and empty mags away from each other in the trunk as far as possible. My response was the penal code for safe transportation says nothing about empty mags and ammo being as far away as possible from each other in the trunk. They transferred me over to the supervisor. I told them based on what is considered safe transportation, I could drive to the hunting location with a pistol case, with a unloaded pistol locked inside, in my front passenger seat, loaded mags inside the center console since it’s not attached to the locked container with the unloaded pistol inside. The supervisor told me; yeh, I wouldn’t pop you or get you for that, that’s fine.
Besides all that up there, I’ve been told before that, GENERALLY, a rural county Leo is going to be different than a view point of a city/sub-urban Leo; in regards to firearms.