18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

It finally happened - Biofire Smart Gun (On Roster as of 2/4)

Just don’t buy it

I'm sure majority of us on this forum wouldn't buy it.

My fear is the first-time gun owner; probably a techie millennial (with too much money than they know what to do with) fearing for their life for the first time after being harassed by a homeless man in Downtown San Francisco, gets upsold on the one "Smart Gun" that has been collecting dust at a major chain shop.

An extreme scenario, but could happen...
 
I'm sure majority of us on this forum wouldn't buy it.

My fear is the first-time gun owner; probably a techie millennial (with too much money than they know what to do with) fearing for their life for the first time after being harassed by a homeless man in Downtown San Francisco, gets upsold on the one "Smart Gun" that has been collecting dust at a major chain shop.

An extreme scenario, but could happen...
I agree and feel attacked at the same time.
 
I'm sure majority of us on this forum wouldn't buy it.

My fear is the first-time gun owner; probably a techie millennial (with too much money than they know what to do with) fearing for their life for the first time after being harassed by a homeless man in Downtown San Francisco, gets upsold on the one "Smart Gun" that has been collecting dust at a major chain shop.

An extreme scenario, but could happen...
A techie millenial fearing for their life after being harassed by a homeless person in SF for first time? You need to get out of the basement and see what the outside world is like. I know a lot of techies that live in SF, their tolerance of homeless people is pretty high. Anyone considering a firearm to deal with homeless people is deranged. Its not a very likely scenario. I mean, go to the gym, work out, take a lyft or uber, carry pepper spray. There are other options besides shooting homeless people.

About 10 years ago I was walking to a friends house after the bars closed in the Mission and a homeless guy stumbled up to me and pushed me. I thought it was hilarious. There was no threat at all. I laughed and continued on. SF isn't Chicago. If youre out after dark in Chicago you want to keep your head on a swivel. I've never feared walking through SF late at night. Done it many times in the Tenderloin, SOMA, the Mission, lower Haight, upper Haight, Portrero Hill, North Beach, Fillmore, Union, the Marina, etc... The last thing Id want to worry about is packing a gun in SF. Its more trouble than its worth.
 
Last edited:
Does anybody know if that firearm will only operate with one set of fingerprints? What happens if let's say there's a confrontation between two people and the owner of the firearm somehow become separated from it and perhaps his wife were to pick it up and need to use it. Would it work or does she just have to beat the assailant over the head with it?
 
I (and everyone I know) absolutely love the trend of taking something reliable, and relied upon, and adding a ton of "tech" bull💩 to it to make it wholly unreliable, as well as nearly completely unserviceable by the end user.

I mean, just look at cars, major appliances, "smart" homes, and now firearms! There's nothing tech can't make better, amirite?

Now if you'll kindly excuse me, there's some young'ins on my lawn I need off, and I think I see a cloud up there what needs shouting at.
 
It is programed to the primary/owner/first user.
They can add or remove secondary users.
Secondary users can not add or remove, only use the firearm until deleted by primary.

As noted pre-production model and had a few failures during test.
Do not like it is fire by wire, no mechanical backup to make it go bang.


Does anybody know if that firearm will only operate with one set of fingerprints? What happens if let's say there's a confrontation between two people and the owner of the firearm somehow become separated from it and perhaps his wife were to pick it up and need to use it. Would it work or does she just have to beat the assailant over the head with it?
 
Last edited:

ELECTRONIC
FIRE CONTROL​

Biofire’s secure fire-by-wire technology with encrypted fire control is a new paradigm in handgun technology. Solid state electronics ensure no one can mechanically modify your Smart Gun to circumvent its biometrics. Even if your firearm is stolen, it can never be used.

Makes me want to buy one just to prove them wrong.
 
I wish no one would buy it, ZERO!
like most 🍌 innovations they wont need the market to fund it, they'll just use 💩 like USAID or state level pork to fund their pet projects. Or they'll have somebody like Blackrock (so obscenely wealthy and tied into the FED that they don't actually need to worry about profit) to fund it
 
like most 🍌 innovations they wont need the market to fund it, they'll just use 💩 like USAID or state level pork to fund their pet projects. Or they'll have somebody like Blackrock (so obscenely wealthy and tied into the FED that they don't actually need to worry about profit) to fund it

Whoever is funding will not fund them for long if they bleed money. Investors demand ROI. If self funded...same thing. Armatix ran out of money or was so unprofitable due to lack of demand that they threw in the towel. One of the reasons they failed is they could not back their product. Reviews were watered down. Nobody was allowed to do any type of torture or ruggedized testing. It was like what the DNC did to Kamala on the campaign trail...they kept her in bubble wrap. Will this happen with Biofire? Will they let reviewers run it through water, dirt and mud? Will police and military adopt it? People that I personally know of that bought their first guns always ask about Glocks, HK's, Sig's or even 1911's. Nobody ever asked me about an Armatix. New buyers tend to gravitate to what's popular. I can't see Biofire standing much of a chance unless they are able to build a reputation either through honest reviews or government contracts.
 
Honestly I want one. I really love the aesthetic and ever since Casino Royale (2006) biometrically locked guns have interested me. One of the few modern guns I'm interested in (c&r+antique collector.) Just wish that the fingerprint reader was reliable enough to not need the face scanner. The prospect of the 🥐ed 10 round mag limit is also unfortunate.
 
A Smart Gun that uses biometrics to unlock to use. Noticed it was added on Roster as of 2/4. Not an ad, nor am I affiliated nor endorsing this product.
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/handgun/smart-gun
OAG Roster Posting

Smart Gun

My two cents: I imagine the great state of Kalifornistan will use this as an example for further anti-2A rhetoric. I can already hear Newscum and Bonta screaming, "The technology is finally here! We need to be the pioneer state in "firearm safety"." :unsure:

Thoughts?
I think about all the failed biometric misreads on my phone that ultimately lead to me manually inputting a pin.... Yeah... this is a big UnUhnn for me. I'll stick with the classic hole punchers!
 
Back
Top Bottom