18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Looking for High Desert shooting area other than Hodge.

CaliAR

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
3
Hey all, Im looking for another place in the high desert to shoot. Something less crowded than Hodge Rd. About 8 years ago a friend of a friend took us to this place surrounded by hills, kind of like a half moon. I dont remember where it was. I have two assumptions we either got off on Hodge rd. and went west for awhile or we were on the 395 exited and went west for awhile.

If anyone has any spots they would like to share, please do.
Thanks.
 
Solution
Hey all, Im looking for another place in the high desert to shoot. Something less crowded than Hodge Rd. About 8 years ago a friend of a friend took us to this place surrounded by hills, kind of like a half moon. I dont remember where it was. I have two assumptions we either got off on Hodge rd. and went west for awhile or we were on the 395 exited and went west for awhile.

If anyone has any spots they would like to share, please do.
Thanks.
Hodge Rd. Your best bet to be completely comfortable.
If anyone has any spots they would like to share, please do.

I won't give you locations, but I'll give you encouragement. If you have a truck or an SUV with 4WD or AWD, you've got plenty of options. Fire up Google Maps, search for roads that aren't too well established and far from buildings. Load your cooler and your guns, and set out on an adventure.

The thing about Hodge is that it's close to LA, OC, and IE. All the riff-raff can get there with minimal effort. I've never shot there, but I can see the hordes as I drive along the highway. I would NEVER set up to shoot that close to a highway. It's not at all sensible, and I don't want to shoot near those folks who think it's ok.

One more tip. Always bring out a couple big boxes or trash bags. Haul away some of the trash left by the d-bags. It's the duty of the big dogs to leave the world a little nicer than we found it.
 
Hey all, Im looking for another place in the high desert to shoot. Something less crowded than Hodge Rd. About 8 years ago a friend of a friend took us to this place surrounded by hills, kind of like a half moon. I dont remember where it was. I have two assumptions we either got off on Hodge rd. and went west for awhile or we were on the 395 exited and went west for awhile.

If anyone has any spots they would like to share, please do.
Thanks.
Apple valley gun club is right of stoddard rd and 15 fwy. A little effort and cost to join, but well worth it if youvshoot a lot. Also desert marksman near Palmdale is real good. Been there for a few of their matches. Nice range, 24/7 for members.
 
I won't give you locations, but I'll give you encouragement. If you have a truck or an SUV with 4WD or AWD, you've got plenty of options. Fire up Google Maps, search for roads that aren't too well established and far from buildings. Load your cooler and your guns, and set out on an adventure.

The thing about Hodge is that it's close to LA, OC, and IE. All the riff-raff can get there with minimal effort. I've never shot there, but I can see the hordes as I drive along the highway. I would NEVER set up to shoot that close to a highway. It's not at all sensible, and I don't want to shoot near those folks who think it's ok.

One more tip. Always bring out a couple big boxes or trash bags. Haul away some of the trash left by the d-bags. It's the duty of the big dogs to leave the world a little nicer than we found it.
Yup. We use to go 25 min away to camp for a weekend and shooting. Higgins the first place they see. Easy in off fwy what else can go wrong lol.

Surprised it lasted that long we left 6 years ago but before then it looked like a dump.
 
Just an fyi there are signs now up at Hodge rd by Barstow. I only accidentally saw them because they were knocked over . With so much junk on the ground there it’s not easy to notice something new….but…I stopped and looked closer. The concrete was very fresh looking imo. These wer no trespassing official large signs saying no trespassing, no shooting, no dumping, no camping, no tv , no fires, and no OHV use. It states very clearly PRIVATE PROPERTY. This is not public land.. Just an fyi.
It's only a matter of time until Hodge is closed down, and rightfully so. It should have been closed down years ago.
 
Back
Top Bottom