18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

M&P 2.0 better than PDP and VP9 unfortunately.

If you didn't have either, and were going to buy one next, which would you buy and why. If the why is "I just shoot it better" then that's good enough lol.

Thinking about a future fullsize gun, one at a time, M&P 2.0 Metal that is coming out or VP9a1 F.
I have the off-roster longslide versions of the M2.0 and VP9. It's really a toss-up between the two as far as which one is better. I like the ergos on the VP9 more and I believe it makes the gun effortless to shoot accurately. But I'm not crazy about the ambi mag release, and something about the trigger irritates the pad of my trigger finger.

I recommend renting the PDP, M2.0, VP9, and the Echelon to see which one you like or shoot the best. If you are able to shoot one far better than any of the others right away then you probably have your answer as to which one you should get.
 
The VP9 is the best shooting & most accurate firearm out the box under 1k and possibly as accurate as the staccatos I’ve shot.
Try it yourself. The trigger has been a little long on the reset at first but after that it’s a great option.
Having experience with high end pistols this is definitely one that you would grab for SHTF or if your life depended on it.
 
I have the off-roster longslide versions of the M2.0 and VP9. It's really a toss-up between the two as far as which one is better. I like the ergos on the VP9 more and I believe it makes the gun effortless to shoot accurately. But I'm not crazy about the ambi mag release, and something about the trigger irritates the pad of my trigger finger.

I recommend renting the PDP, M2.0, VP9, and the Echelon to see which one you like or shoot the best. If you are able to shoot one far better than any of the others right away then you probably have your answer as to which one you should get.

Thanks for the input. I do have off roster PDPs, compact and full. I know I love that platform and am still looking for a steel frame and/or a Compact Pro. Just looking to expand platforms between the Smith or HK. I fired my friends off roster steel M&P today again, he put one of those new Defender ST enclosed optics on it so it was a little different experience this time....it was good. I have just never fired the HK.
 
I'm just glad that we have on-roster options with optic cuts finally available at reasonable prices. I generally prefer DA/SA firearms, but will definitely be picking up one of these soon. Trigger quality is important to me, but it's not necessarily the end-all-be-all for a carry weapon. Hopefully I can get some trigger time behind each to see which I like best, but I honestly think I'd be perfectly happy with any of these choices.
 
The front serrations on the 2.0, is that on some models only? I noticed when I look online some 2.0s has front serrations and some dont?
 
The front serrations on the 2.0, is that on some models only? I noticed when I look online some 2.0s has front serrations and some dont?
The non optic ready ones don't have the serrations the new OR model has them now. I have both and it's not really an issue it's an easy gun to cycle.
 
Can you put that into the CA-compliant PDPs? It's my understanding that the mag safety disconnect prevents changing the trigger, and removing it takes modifying the gun's frame.
It is, unless I’ve missed something. It’s because of this I passed on buying the pdp
 
Shot a M&P competitor and I wasn’t impressed at all…vp9 same
Pdp and p10f hands down
now that I have a Rxm I’ll take over a M&P
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8621.jpeg
    IMG_8621.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 32
The VP9 is the best shooting & most accurate firearm out the box under 1k and possibly as accurate as the staccatos I’ve shot.
Try it yourself. The trigger has been a little long on the reset at first but after that it’s a great option.
Having experience with high end pistols this is definitely one that you would grab for SHTF or if your life depended on it.
Cz p10f and half the cost imo
 
Last edited:
Interesting thread, tried a few new samples at the store today, M&P, PDP and Echelon. All had the reset right by the break, the M&P had the worst gritty trigger of the bunch. Maybe just a bad sample. The Echelon was good, but the break was a little spongy but still good. The PDP trigger was the best of the three.
Want to try out a VP9 sometime, as I’m interested in a new platform to backup for my Glock stable.
 
Interesting thread, tried a few new samples at the store today, M&P, PDP and Echelon. All had the reset right by the break, the M&P had the worst gritty trigger of the bunch. Maybe just a bad sample. The Echelon was good, but the break was a little spongy but still good. The PDP trigger was the best of the three.
Want to try out a VP9 sometime, as I’m interested in a new platform to backup for my Glock stable.
"Gritty" is a common complaint about the M&P 2.0 trigger. My 4.25" full-size is a bit gritty, just purchased an Apex for it. Interestingly my M&P 2.0 Shield+, 3.6", and 5.0" do not have the same gritty feel, so ???
 
"Gritty" is a common complaint about the M&P 2.0 trigger. My 4.25" full-size is a bit gritty, just purchased an Apex for it. Interestingly my M&P 2.0 Shield+, 3.6", and 5.0" do not have the same gritty feel, so ???
I think it's the striker block plunger, the overwatch or apex striker blocks make a big difference. It's a very simple system you have the striker block and the sear, that's the whole feel of the trigger the shoe is just an additional benefit.
 
I think it's the striker block plunger, the overwatch or apex striker blocks make a big difference. It's a very simple system you have the striker block and the sear, that's the whole feel of the trigger the shoe is just an additional benefit.
Agree. Once that's polished and/or the edge radius softened, to smooth.
 
If you didn't have either, and were going to buy one next, which would you buy and why. If the why is "I just shoot it better" then that's good enough lol.

Thinking about a future fullsize gun, one at a time, M&P 2.0 Metal that is coming out or VP9a1 F.
Without a doubt I shoot the M&P better than any gun I have.
 
Interesting thread, tried a few new samples at the store today, M&P, PDP and Echelon. All had the reset right by the break, the M&P had the worst gritty trigger of the bunch. Maybe just a bad sample. The Echelon was good, but the break was a little spongy but still good. The PDP trigger was the best of the three.
Want to try out a VP9 sometime, as I’m interested in a new platform to backup for my Glock stable.
The grittiness of the M&P disappears after a couple hundred rounds.
 
I shot the M&P 2.0, PDP, Echelon, and Glock 45, I am not impressed in the slightest with the M&P/Echelon. I liked the PDP and Glock 45 way better IMO. The PDP had a crisp trigger in comparison to the others but the one I shot had the ZR Tactical recoil spring so it did feel less snappy. I went with the PDP. The FCU in the Echelon is cool, but seems pretty novel to me.
 
I shot the M&P 2.0, PDP, Echelon, and Glock 45, I am not impressed in the slightest with the M&P/Echelon. I liked the PDP and Glock 45 way better IMO. The PDP had a crisp trigger in comparison to the others but the one I shot had the ZR Tactical recoil spring so it did feel less snappy. I went with the PDP. The FCU in the Echelon is cool, but seems pretty novel to me.
Shoot a M&P 2.0 Saturday…my brother was acting like it was the best thing smoking.
I shot a few rounds and put it down…not impressed at all
 
Back
Top Bottom