18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

New to CAguns, question about sellin a gun

I did a ppt last week the gun was brand new lock was in the box still in plastic and I had to buy one for $10 because I didn’t have a receipt for a lock purchased in the last 30 days. This was at a mom and pop store.
This. It's not enough just to bring your own lock. Some FFLs only add $5 because they're not extorionists. 2A Zone only charges $5 for a new one.
 
Last edited:
Also, do all business inside the FFL, not in the parking lot. It's not even legal to handle firearms in plain view at someone's trunk. Call ahead to the FFL to see if they allow cash transfer in store where you're less likely to be robbed or attract unwanted attention. The FFL is the safest place to be when it comes to transactions with someone you don't know.

Bring a nice clean towel if you don't want the firearm sitting on glass. Not every FFL has nice gun-friendly surfaces.

If I have a choice, I always DROS at my favorite FFLs where they allow cash transfer in store and where they have enough employees to handle walk-ins. Otherwise you will be waiting and waiting if it's a one-man show and first-come first-served. For this, 2A Zone Riverside is my go-to. Fast, friendly FFLs. Not every gun shop is so happy to do these since they make very little money from them.

After you're done, be sure to exchange feedback with the buyer/seller on this site!
 
Last edited:
For me, I always get someone's cell phone number and speak with them on the phone before making a deal. I don't trust people who only send text messages and snapplechats. If something about the conversation makes me think they're not straight up solid, I don't make the deal.
Always a good practice.
 
New seller here. Reading through the posts and just to be clear, the buyer pays for the gun in cash or online through paypal or some other, prior to going into a FFL store. In other words, I receive the money for the gun right away and do not have to wait for the buyer to pass the transfer process. Correct? And if they do not pass and can not purchase the gun, then what?
Cash. Never PayPal. Maybe Zelle if you trust the buyer. Never ever use PayPal! An unethical buyer can claim some bull💩 story about goods not as advertised and PP will swipe the money from your account, even if you've already transferred it out. Cash is king.

Make sure there are no counterfeit bills. There are phone apps for this using your phone camera.

I think Zelle is safe enough these days and you don't have to worry about counting money, being robbed, depositing cash, etc. Just be careful where you log in to your bank and situational awareness is key here as usual.
 
Last edited:
Thanks! Those are some very good points. I tend to be a little to trusting I guess.
 
Be sure you understand the ID you need. If you don't have a CA REAL ID, you will need other proofs of citizenship and residence such as your birth certificate/passport and valid vehicle registration or utility bill. Bring all the first time until you have it dialed-in. A REAL ID is a great idea if you don't yet have one. A REAL ID effectively has your passport embedded.

If you have a Jr. or Sr. in your name, be mindful that everything has to match! This caused me some issues when I bought my first PPT gun.

You also need your FSC, or Firearm Safety Certificate. You get this by taking a quick test and answering questions about gun safety and gun laws. You can take this test at any FFL but do this before you meet someone for a PPT. You will get the card after you pass.

Check the laws regarding a few questions pertaining to legal age to buy a gun (21), whether felons can buy guns (no), etc. Everything else is mostly simple logic.

Keep in mind that the buyer has to visit the FFL twice, once for the DROS and again to pickup. Generally it's good to accommodate the buyer a bit unless you're selling somethjng amazing and the off-roster collectors are beating on your door to buy.
just some additional details about the FSC requirements. A dealer can only charge a maximum of $25 (no additional "tax or fees" allowed) The dealer pays $15 to DOJ to administer the test and issue the FSC card, so at most the dealer may make a $10 profit. Walk away from anyone trying to charger over $25.
There are several FSC exemptions as well. these are the most common: CCW, Law Enforcement, A current CA POST P.C. 832 document, Active duty Military (Must show Military I.D. and may need to show PSO if they do not have CA DL / I.D).
 
This. It's not enough just to bring your own lock. Some FFLs only add $5 because they're not extorionists. 2A Zone only charges $5 for a new one.
LOCKS. Must be a "CA Approved" lock, not just any lock. When I transfer guns, if the lock is a "CA Approved" lock then good; if not I provide a free "CA Approved" lock. I always note the make and model of the lock on my clients invoice (I.E. receipt for a CA lock acquired with in the past 30-day). I believe you can also do the safe affidavit form as well, but it must be a "CA Approved" safe. I don't do the affidavits just easier to provide a free CA lock.
 
Also, do all business inside the FFL, not in the parking lot. It's not even legal to handle firearms in plain view at someone's trunk. Call ahead to the FFL to see if they allow cash transfer in store where you're less likely to be robbed or attract unwanted attention. The FFL is the safest place to be when it comes to transactions with someone you don't know.

Bring a nice clean towel if you don't want the firearm sitting on glass. Not every FFL has nice gun-friendly surfaces.

If I have a choice, I always DROS at my favorite FFLs where they allow cash transfer in store and where they have enough employees to handle walk-ins. Otherwise you will be waiting and waiting if it's a one-man show and first-come first-served. For this, 2A Zone Riverside is my go-to. Fast, friendly FFLs. Not every gun shop is so happy to do these since they make very little money from them.

After you're done, be sure to exchange feedback with the buyer/seller on this site!
PPT. legally, in addition to the DROS $37.19, dealers can only charge a "Dealer fee" of $10 (per firearm). Some unethical, greedy, dealers will attempt to charge "additional" fees for storage or some other non-sense. Walk away if they do. report them to CA DOJ. I've been in business for 20 years and the $10 maximum dealer fee for PPT transfers has not affected my business; if anything it has gained me good reliable clients.
 
PPT. legally, in addition to the DROS $37.19, dealers can only charge a "Dealer fee" of $10 (per firearm). Some unethical, greedy, dealers will attempt to charge "additional" fees for storage or some other non-sense. Walk away if they do. report them to CA DOJ. I've been in business for 20 years and the $10 maximum dealer fee for PPT transfers has not affected my business; if anything it has gained me good reliable clients.

Thanks for all the great detail!
 
Also, good idea to have the money before paperwork starts. I've heard that it's best to exchange money outside, or at least not in front of the register, as a courtesy I guess. But if you're using something like Zelle, I suppose it doesn't matter, as long as you do it before paper work is started.
On one private party transfer I did. The gun store made us go outside to exchange money. It felt a bit odd to me but I didn't make a fuss and we did it outside on the sidewalk.
 
Back
Top Bottom