18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Feedback Next Feature? What would you like to see?

If your going to put AI into this site, can you provide an option in our individual control panels to toggle it off?
Agree - my RI has gotten me this far in life just fine; I can do without the suggestions from a glorified Google search aggregator built on webcrawlling plagiarism, and forced collectivism, where everyone's voice, style, personality, and posts sound the same.

I'm sure 👨🏻‍🎨ts love it.

And get off my lawn!

---
 
A minor suggestion for the classifieds forums - would it be possible to add the ability to set how many listings/posts per page are displayed? I run a larger 4K monitor, and a mouse with a scroll wheel, so I find the ability to display more on a "page" is handy and reduces clicks to go page to page.

As as far as AI goes, I'm seeing AI generated "noise" on other social media platforms and my inbox... not a fan, as most is GIGO clogging the "signal". And I've seen enough examples of AIs allowed out of the lab and into the wild that take relatively short periods before decending into socio/psychopathic tendencies after being exposed to "carbon based lifeform intelligence". I remain skeptical of how useful AI really is...
 
Is the Keyword search supposed to work with a string of numbers?

For example I was in the handgun section of the classifieds and I tried the following Keywords individually:
586
"586"
'586'
The results were 2 pages long for each search.

There are very few 586's in the classifieds.

My guess (and you know what that's worth) is that if it finds a 5, an 8 and a 6 anywhere in the post (including in the name of a picture file), it shows up in the results.

Thanks.
The search is two separate systems. Scroll down to title or description and try there. Using the search box up top will find older threads. Some people put 586 in the title or description. I didn't see any active with title, but I did see some pop up with description.

I should probably remove keywords as it doesn't find thing as well as the other fields.

Thanks for deep diving.. Let me know what else you find and feel free to start a separate thread on your own for me to investigate issues. I might look at them right away but its easier for me to manage. I'm getting busier and busier while the site is picking up too.
 
A minor suggestion for the classifieds forums - would it be possible to add the ability to set how many listings/posts per page are displayed? I run a larger 4K monitor, and a mouse with a scroll wheel, so I find the ability to display more on a "page" is handy and reduces clicks to go page to page.

As as far as AI goes, I'm seeing AI generated "noise" on other social media platforms and my inbox... not a fan, as most is GIGO clogging the "signal". And I've seen enough examples of AIs allowed out of the lab and into the wild that take relatively short periods before decending into socio/psychopathic tendencies after being exposed to "carbon based lifeform intelligence". I remain skeptical of how useful AI really is...

The number of listings is set globally. I recently bumped it up from 20 to 30. I've also recently put in saved search but have a minor issue on mobile which also helps with this inconvenience, but it is a subscriber benefit. It also still has some bugs I'm working with the developer on. After the increase and increase in number of users, resource usage increased which lead to the recent CPU/Network upgrade. All that to say, we have to balance what we allow because being on cloud, we pay for everything a la carte. It's not all you can eat like a dedicated server.

AI is thrown around a lot but a lot of people don't realize it helps with a lot of little things. My grammar isn't the best so I use it from time to time to clean up my writing. There's a lot of benefit coming with AI and thanks to the donors here, I've upgraded my development machine to use Llama 3.2 or some other open source LLM. AI doesn't have to actively work in the forum, I use it as an assistant to help me with a lot of tasks.

Any new tech is going to have healthy skepticism. My role is usually how to implement the latest technology to reduce effort and increase efficiency. So, the implementation here wouldn't match what you see outside. I typically use a practical approach and also I'm looking into consulting as this is a new tech and getting businesses up to speed can be a way to make a living.

Also from a business perspective. I'm thinking of offering hosting solutions for 2A businesses that would come with an upgraded account here. That way the monthly you pay serves two purposes, keep your online presence up and also contributes to this site, which make it much more sustainable for long term viability.
 
Also from a business perspective. I'm thinking of offering hosting solutions for 2A businesses that would come with an upgraded account here. That way the monthly you pay serves two purposes, keep your online presence up and also contributes to this site, which make it much more sustainable for long term viability.
I bet you could whoop Permitium's CCW Issuance/Renewal e-ass pretty quickly. Widely used in California, I think they also other states as well.

One suggestion would be to tie in a graceful connection between the issuing agencies and the CCW trainers- so class credentials are immediately there for the issuing agencies. Could also be a place for trainers (and others) to tastefully advertise.
 
Subregions like Craigslist does it. They try to breakdown regions by counties and then further into areas of the county.
They have a San Diego region and within that region they have North SD, City of SD, South SD, etc.

The regions now are neat but for someone in SoCal living near the US-Mex border like Chula Vista might not want to see posts in Los Angeles because that could be an 8 hour round trip for them.
 
Subregions like Craigslist does it. They try to breakdown regions by counties and then further into areas of the county.
They have a San Diego region and within that region they have North SD, City of SD, South SD, etc.

The regions now are neat but for someone in SoCal living near the US-Mex border like Chula Vista might not want to see posts in Los Angeles because that could be an 8 hour round trip for them.

We don’t want too many so we narrow it down like this
 

We don’t want too many so we narrow it down like this
You can’t do it as subdomains? That’s how other websites that depend on regional users do it.
e.g., sandiego.craigslist.org

That way you won’t have too many.
 
You can’t do it as subdomains? That’s how other websites that depend on regional users do it.
e.g., sandiego.craigslist.org

That way you won’t have too many.

Most websites use a dropdown like I’m using. It’s easier to navigate vs a different domain per region as people move around.

Technically I could do subdomains, but I don’t see the benefit. We have saved searches which negates the need for it too.

I see you’re relatively new. I suggest trying the site as is. Not having to remember which subdomain should be significantly easier.

Subdomains isn’t the same as sub-region's, there would have to be a specific need for it to add complexity and it definitely adds complexity because now from one domain now there’s 10 as you add it becomes more difficult to spread awareness vs a dropdown. Everyone will see the update and it’s easier to expand your search in realtime vs typing another site

 
Most websites use a dropdown like I’m using. It’s easier to navigate vs a different domain per region as people move around.

Technically I could do subdomains, but I don’t see the benefit. We have saved searches which negates the need for it too.

I see you’re relatively new. I suggest trying the site as is. Not having to remember which subdomain should be significantly easier.

Subdomains isn’t the same as sub-region's, there would have to be a specific need for it to add complexity and it definitely adds complexity because now from one domain now there’s 10 as you add it becomes more difficult to spread awareness vs a dropdown. Everyone will see the update and it’s easier to expand your search in realtime vs typing another site

Well, if it’s not possible… oh well then.
 
caguns.net/classifieds is hard enough for people. We have to keep the forum marketplace at the bottom for people because they’re so used to CGN. People get confused from the smallest things, here there’s a lot of changes people are still getting used to.
 
Not a Tech guy at all, but I have seen what I call a "Mapping Radius" tool on various websites. You click a point on a map or enter a zip code and then select a miles radius for the search result. I think that would work great as you choose the "starting" place and how many miles you're willing to go. Another advantage is say you are willing to go to a larger town (not your own town) if you can ID multiple sellers in that area; problem solved by making say Anaheim, CA the start point and a radius of say 15 miles- and move the center of the radius as you see fit to get fresh results. Obviously, there is some sort of engine under the hood doing the figuring.
 
Is there a way to filter/sort for sale posts by distance to a zip code?

No, that would require we collect that info which many people don’t want to provide. Besides, usually FFL is usually in a separate location.

Thought about it, but it adds more overhead trying to pinpoint location, and when I had it in, people kept entering all different kinds of data
 
Back
Top Bottom