18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Answered Off topic?

It’s very simple: if you don’t want to participate, you are not being forced to even enter that part of the forum. It’s like watching television; you don’t have to watch a channel you don’t like.
That's actually not the issue. OT attracts the most repulsive trolls that spew hate and intolerance toward many groups such as younger generations, women, minorities, gays... The moderators of this site need to decide if they want to host that "channel" as you say. It's not a good look.

I'm all for inclusivity. We need to grow support for 2A among many alienated groups. We don't need to drive them away by letting repulsive trolls define the 2A community.
 
The moderators of this site need to decide if they want to host that "channel" as you say.
We've already made that decision. We will try out a current events thread. I'm hoping it will be as useful as people say where we can find out updates faster than normal, but if discussion gets out of hand into politicking or devolves we'll moderate heavily or remove it all together.

We're not trying to be CG, but there is a benefit of being able to hear news from local members with current events. We really don't want to moderate much and our primary goal is to be a beneficial resource to the community. Anything that detracts from that will be removed. I have other projects that need my attention. I gotta get back to work!

 
I get banned on r/CAguns each and every time. Let's test the tolerance level here. LOL
I'll tell ya now, we have very low tolerance. Please don’t be “controversial” is a first amendment right kinda person, that is for govt services not a site for enthusiasts.

If it’s a no go for snipershide/brianenos it’s a no go here.

IMG_2600.gif
 
If you don't have a place for 🐚s to spew their bile, they'll do it all over every other forum here. It's good to have a specific place where they can go. "Not on this site" won't work, if you want to be a success.
 
If you don't have a place for 🐚s to spew their bile, they'll do it all over every other forum here. It's good to have a specific place where they can go. "Not on this site" won't work, if you want to be a success.
I don't agree with the assertion that this site needs a place for "a******* to spew their bile", as you say, to be successful. In fact, I believe the opposite. This site will be successful because it doesn't allow trolls to spew hate and intolerance toward groups we need to include in the 2A community (younger generations, women, minorities, gays). And it will be successful because it is better designed and is more user-friendly.
 
Last edited:
If you don't have a place for 🐚s to spew their bile, they'll do it all over every other forum here. It's good to have a specific place where they can go. "Not on this site" won't work, if you want to be a success.

I disagree. If you have so little self-control that you need to "spew bile" on an internet forum... The dudes in charge have been very clear.

Kick rocks, you're not welcome here.

Will it stifle some growth? Maybe, but what is the net contribution those kinds of posters bring? In the end 🐚s like that tend to drive away posters, so it will be a net gain anyway.
 
If you don't have a place for 🐚s to spew their bile, they'll do it all over every other forum here. It's good to have a specific place where they can go. "Not on this site" won't work, if you want to be a success.
To begin with, I will agree with you. The same agitators who write hate-filled and fact-free stuff in OT also do the same in other threads. You used the terms "🐚s" who "spew their bile", but we're both talking about the same thing. That is highly visible in some forums (in particular CalGuns, I just posted a marvelously over-the-top comment in the moderation thread here), but also many other places, not restricted to gun discussions. And it is already happening here too, with the recent influx of posters; no need to bring up a rogue's gallery.

You claim that "it won't work", and you may be partially correct, but for the most part I disagree with you. Yes, there are some posters whose only contribution is demanding a loyalty oath to Trump, or inciting others to bash in liberal skulls; and those posters will likely leave if they can't say those things. In political discussions (such as the ones about Ukraine, China or the Middle East) a significant fraction of these posters are probably paid or volunteer foreign operatives, who have one purpose only. But as for example the Brian Enos forum shows, it is possible to moderate such that hate, disinformation and xxx-phobia (whether it be trans-, xeno- or misogyny) don't show up, and even known right wingers can contribute to firearms knowledge in a polite fashion.

How does this forum get there? Does this forum want to get there? What is the purpose of life? These are questions for another thread.
 
If you don't have a place for 🐚s to spew their bile, they'll do it all over every other forum here. It's good to have a specific place where they can go. "Not on this site" won't work, if you want to be a success.
Depends how you define success. For me the site with ~4800 people after 6 months is a success. If professionally, some would consider me successful already. I built this place inbetween jobs. I'm already working on another project. I don't expect this one to be a big part but mainly do it because I enjoy the hobby and the people I've met. I'm also an advocate for safe handling and want to encourage others to do more volunteering or learning more about CERT/CPR etc since it kind of overlaps with the theme of 2A in terms of preparedness.

I prefer to have a toned down site even if it doesn't have a lot of traffic. Just a group of like minded folks helping each other out in various ways in 2A with information or navigating things. I intend to keep the noise down so that the main themes of the site can be at the center, mainly information & education. There's so many places on the internet for debating etc. Not enough dedicated to just helping people.

I saw you asked a question on CG. Here's the link you were looking for.
 
Last edited:
Depends how you define success. For me the site with ~4800 people after 6 months is a success. If professionally, some would consider me successful already. I built this place inbetween jobs. I'm already working on another project. I don't expect this one to be a big part but mainly do it because I enjoy the hobby and the people I've met. I'm also an advocate for safe handling and want to encourage others to do more volunteering or learning more about CERT/CPR etc since it kind of overlaps with the theme of 2A in terms of preparedness.

I prefer to have a toned down site even if it doesn't have a lot of traffic. Just a group of like minded folks helping each other out in various ways in 2A with information or navigating things. I intend to keep the noise down so that the main themes of the site can be at the center, mainly information & education. There's so many places on the internet for debating etc. Not enough dedicated to just helping people.

I saw you asked a question on CG. Here's the link you were looking for.
Just signed for a CERT course with my local FD.

Off Topic attracts people who wake up every morning looking for a reason to be unhappy and angry.
 
Is there an off topic here?

We've already made that decision. We will try out a current events thread. I'm hoping it will be as useful as people say where we can find out updates faster than normal, but if discussion gets out of hand into politicking or devolves we'll moderate heavily or remove it all together.

We're not trying to be CG, but there is a benefit of being able to hear news from local members with current events. We really don't want to moderate much and our primary goal is to be a beneficial resource to the community. Anything that detracts from that will be removed. I have other projects that need my attention. I gotta get back to work!


I'm of the mind that an off-topic section will be a nightmare. Heavily-moderating content leaves everyone frustrated and is subject to moderator bias, though I understand why mods would want/need to do it.

Adults can work out their disagreements, but this can come at a great cost to group cohesion and gobs of time-wasting discussion. Arguably, some also enjoy these exchanges. I know that a lot of members will lose/gain respect for each other when they see the many logical fallacies people will employ in debates, or invitations to fight in person (already seen that in one thread). Being a gun forum, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

If it's truly off-topic, why ban certain topics? That's because it'll sow discord and disagreement, and passions are running high in an election year. So, why wouldn't most topics sow the same? They'd have to be utterly mundane topics that help us get to know each other whilst avoiding the knock-down drag-out fights I've seen on so many forums.

One thing you can do is what you've been doing...you choose the topic and launch a thread. What kind of car do you drive? What do you do for work? Politics will be a disaster, because these days it seems that almost nobody can discuss this with detached stoicism. It can get intensely bad. Minimal benefit, maximum pain. Even where people *should* agree, they won't.

In part, I come to forums like this to ESCAPE the political drama. Reddit is already bad enough, but the gun subs are pretty chill. Why? It's because nobody is discussing anything but guns and gun-related accessories. Reddit proper is already cesspit of deranging ideologies.

That's my .02. :)
 
As much as I love OT in Calguns, I don't think it fits in here, especially now that it seems CG is sort of running again. At least enough to drop in there while taking the morning constitutional and scan thread headlines to see if anything is worth opening.

...ETA, even though I just got a 504 error there. :LOL: :rolleyes:
 
OT was hilarious. Some of the best characters and the best threads appeared there. I never take it too seriously. I would definitely bring it back. Also bring back MILF Monday and I will moderate that!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom