18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

One gun for everything, forever.

This is an old blade forum thread for a knife. I thought it was terrible at first, but the more I think on it, I believe everyone should pick one to rule them all.

So…what’s your gun if you could only have one?

I’ll go first. Mine is a double barrel 12 gauge, side by side. Favorite to shoot and also extremely versatile. I have an adapter set to make it shoot many different calibers. Obviously not good for ccw or extended combat applications, but imo it’s the best all around.

Only one. Let me know.

Remington 870 12 Ga. tactical pump action with folding stock. Best all around self defense / CQB weapon IMHO. Run out of ammo, use it as a club.
 
Maybe it's cause I'm just getting into PCCs but why not a Ruger PC Carbine? It's compact enough to travel with, uses Glock magazines (hopefully I'll be able to find more magazines in my journey), runs 9mm (the most popular round so I can always find ammo), I get the stability of a long gun, and from what I heard requires little to no maintenance.
 
Yes, you can repair and modify
The ONLY rational answer then would be an AR of some kind. It can be a pistol, rifle, belt fed machine gun, centerfire, rimfire, everything from a short barrel 17 Mach2 pistol up to a long barrel 50BMG for whatever needs may arise. Just having an AR in .223 with a .22lr conversion would cover nearly all of the need basis' one could ever think of. But being able to go from a concealable pistol to a mile away anti material weapon and everything in between is the only thing that makese sense.

If the answer was no, it had to stay in stock or nearly stock configuration without any modification, I'd be hard pressed to do something other than a 10/22, off the top of my head.
 
The ONLY rational answer then would be an AR of some kind. It can be a pistol, rifle, belt fed machine gun, centerfire, rimfire, everything from a short barrel 17 Mach2 pistol up to a long barrel 50BMG for whatever needs may arise. Just having an AR in .223 with a .22lr conversion would cover nearly all of the need basis' one could ever think of. But being able to go from a concealable pistol to a mile away anti material weapon and everything in between is the only thing that makese sense.

If the answer was no, it had to stay in stock or nearly stock configuration without any modification, I'd be hard pressed to do something other than a 10/22, off the top of my head.

Unrealistic to expect a gun person to own only 1 firearm.

At some point in my life, I can see myself owning 2 handguns, 2 rifles and 2 shotguns or something like that.
 
Unrealistic to expect a gun person to own only 1 firearm.

At some point in my life, I can see myself owning 2 handguns, 2 rifles and 2 shotguns or something like that.
That is outside the rules of the game. If there can be only one, then an AR style of some sort is the only thing that makes sense.
 
That is outside the rules of the game. If there can be only one, then an AR style of some sort is the only thing that makes sense.

If the priority is 2nd amendment gun, then I agree, it's the only sound choice.

If the priority is SHFT evacuation gun where you have 10 min to grab your most important things and go, ultimately on foot, the concealable SD pistol is the only sound choice.

I can go on with other priority scenarios but those two are at the top of my conscience.
 
G17 or 19 for sure if anyone prefers a handgun. Or any 357 Lever Guns, they can be used with 38. Good enough to hunt with and HD.
 
Well, a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range isn't available, because sadly it's just what you see here pal. So, I'll have to say one of the modern, reliable, durable, basic, polymer handguns. Glock is an obvious choice, but really most of offerings by established manufacturers are just fine. So, pick what you like. A good, reliable hundgun covers a lot of bases.

Now, if we're talking some sort of SHTF, end-of-society-as-we-know-it type situation, and you're gonna be outside dealing with that mess, then an AR-15 is the answer. Pick whatever flavor AR you like, but minimal doodads hanging off it are probably best. Iron sights seem like the way to go. It's relatively light (every ounce matters if you have to continuously hump long distances). One can carry more ammo than other calibers. It's reliable. You can reach out a bit. It easy to work on. You could kill most animals with it (all with some effort or luck). Lots of ammo was produced. Lots of parts were produced.

Neither choice is the sexiest. Neither is the coolest. Neither is the most slicked up Gucci'ness. But, when you have to pick just one, basic reliability and ease of use are what matter most.
 
G17 or 19 for sure if anyone prefers a handgun. Or any 357 Lever Guns, they can be used with 38. Good enough to hunt with and HD.

I fell for the 357 mag levergun + revolver combo and have a nice set, however, of the two I only ever use the revolver and even then, it's not often.

Having a magazine that holds the ammo, in and out of the gun, is significantly more practical and efficient.

If someone own a G19/17, a levergun and a revolver, I can't see someone in that critical decision-making moment choose them the Glock pistol.
 
If it was 1 gun forever just because, I would say a G17.
If it was a SHTF scenario I would prefer an AK but with the parts and ammo availability I'd go with an AR.
 
My thoughts, start with the desired caliber and work backwards from there.

If I was truly limited to one forever it would have to be in a caliber that could just do more. I think a 9mm would not be enough for me beyond simple personal self defense. I also want to be able to defend against large animals in the woods. So I’m thinking full size .45.

I would struggle with which model. I know a full size is harder to carry. Maybe G21SF so it’s slightly lighter for CCW use than an all metal gun.
 
Back
Top Bottom