18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

PCC recommendations

Or get either a basic model or the MLock version, and then add a wood stock from Woodshop Wednesday. https://woodshopwednesday.com/

View attachment 118567

Women will want you and men will want to be you!
That wood stock with the MLock does look sexy! IMO, the full size rail makes it look more modern and complete. If I do get the MLock, it'll strictly be for the cosmetic aspect of it. But the backpacker does make it easier to transport and I can store an extra magazine in the butt stock. Form vs function. Do I want it to look good or be functional? As we all know, the way a gun looks matters just as much as how it functions. Lol JK.
 
My little Ruger breakdown carbine is great fun. It's heavy, and it doesn't like to feed hollowpoints, and I don't know that it's the best option for competitions but for just plain fun with a cheap red dot on it? Sure, it's a blast and the price was right when they first came out.
 
I have the M-lock. Agree the forend of the regular stock frame is pedestrian. The wood stock looks very good. I could argue for either fore grip.

The dark walnut with the M-lock, add a longer mag would give it the appearance of a Sten gun.

If stickers give motorcycles additional HP, the by gosh, sexy stocks must add additional exit velo from the barrel! ;)
 
I have the M-lock. Agree the forend of the regular stock frame is pedestrian. The wood stock looks very good. I could argue for either fore grip.

The dark walnut with the M-lock, add a longer mag would give it the appearance of a Sten gun.

If stickers give motorcycles additional HP, the by gosh, sexy stocks must add additional exit velo from the barrel! ;)
Lol. I used to ride motorcycles and that sticker comment hit a little close to home.
 
It doesn't take Glock mags, but check out the Hi-Point 995. Yes, it's all plastic. Yes it has a stiff trigger (easily fixed). I bought mine in a Kalifornia configuration (fin grip) for $295 free shipping. For that price you can buy a lot of mags. Pop a cheap red dot on it & you will go through ammo faster than you ever thought possible.

There is some stank associated with Hi-Point pistols, maybe deservedly so, but check the reviews on the 995 PCC... a real surprise bargain.

Hi-Point 995
 
3 years?! Wow. Was it a safe queen? How many rounds did you put through it? I try and go at least once a month and put about 100 through my pistol (only firearm I have for now).
Wild estimate, but probably around 2k+ rounds. The big ETS 33 round mags are hella fun. Maybe quite a bit more than that since you go through it quick when several people want to plunk steel with it.
 
As long as we're throwing around "cheap" fun, a KelTec Sub2K with a few upgrades (MCarbo) is cheap fun (I've gort a Gen2, shoots super soft, and is lighter than my Backpacker PCC). Consider the Gen3 for more sight options.
 
Wild estimate, but probably around 2k+ rounds. The big ETS 33 round mags are hella fun. Maybe quite a bit more than that since you go through it quick when several people want to plunk steel with it.
Oh yeah those 33 round magazines I bought during freedom week. I forgot about those! Thanks for reminding me. Lol
 
Mlok version maybe more tacticool but for me personally I wanted to focus on the takedown part. I heard mlok version you cannot convert it to backpacker
I have a Mlok with the backpacker stock, hooks in the back and use a strap to keep it together. There are some pics online of others using the same.
 
How you like the backpacker? I'm debating between that or the MLock version.
Ultimately, you can turn a standard model into either of those. I have two PC Carbines that I bought as standard models when they first came out. After awhile, I put one of these Midwest Industries forends on both of them, added red dots, and used them to start shooting PCC in local USPSA matches:
IMG_0880.jpeg

The biggest problem I had was dropping magazines quickly during classifiers that required mag changes, so I added Jawbone extended mag releases:
IMG_0881.jpeg

I ended up getting a JP-5 once I decided to make PCC became one of my primary divisions. At that point I got rid of the M-Lok forends and extended mag releases, and I put a wood stock from Woodshop Wednesday on one (with iron sights), and a Magpul Backpacker stock on the other (with a red dot).

The point is, if you’re not sure what you want, just get a standard model to start, and then change it up however you want as you go.
 
Last edited:
Ruger pc carbine is a good 'featureless' rifle. If you go with AR9 of some sort then you will have to deal with the fixed mag nonsense

I have seen both platforms in steel challenge, uspsa and idpa. They both seem to run fine and people do well with both
 
Back
Top Bottom