18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Red Dot vs Light in CCW setup

Red Dot vs Light


  • Total voters
    120
If this is how you think then you don't understand the concept of spill.

For home I have a handheld light sitting right on the quick access safe. But for CCW, a WML can be nearly as effective by using spill. Plus it allows me to drop the flashlight and use two hands to shoot and still have a light if needed. Spill with a good WML is still effective for 10-15 yards. If I need to point my gun at anyone farther than that just to ID them in the dark, I probably have escape options instead.
I agree with this 100%. And to add, indoors, reflection and bounce is a very real thing and quiet effective. Turning on a bright light in any direction, ceiling, floor or wall will usually light the room enough to clearly identify whomever you need without actually needing to point it right at them.

I have a lot of experience with this as I often need to use a flashlight for work. Fixing equipment, inspecting attics, whatever. Often times I place the light nearby and let the spill or reflections light up what I need. Without some clamp or swivel tripod, getting the light pointed right at what I'm working on is usually not possible. But doing the above is almost always sufficient

The argument of needing to point your gun at something to identify it with your light is silly at best. I do agree that using your WML for non threats and merely just identification is stupid and can get you in trouble with the law. That's what a second light is for. And I almost always have that with me. And you should too
 
Carrying a gun daily, in itself, is preparing for a very very unlikely scenario. I think most who EDC, would agree that it’s never a bad thing, if possible, to be prepare for the very worse case scenario.
So, we should equip ourselves for the very worst case scenario that is very very unlikely to happen?
Personally, I carry EVERYTHING. RDS, WML, Handheld Light, Pepper Spray, Folding Knife and extra Mag. I want to take very advantage available to me for the worse case scenario. I carry ALL of these daily in work clothes and my casual attire (as seen in picture). Not baggy and too loose fitting at all and very “gray man” ish. It’s definitely not impractical. You just have to invest in the right equipments.
With all due respect, if I held my arms into my sides and pulled a couple of kids in as cover, I, too, could carry a metric ton of stuff. :)
 
Last edited:
So, we should equip ourselves for the very worst case scenario that is very very unlikely to happen?

With all due respect, if I held my arms into my sides and pulled a couple of kids in as cover, I, too, could carry a metric ton of stuff. :)
Maybe try using a shopping cart instead of kids. I think it will hold more and no snot 🤣
 
Red dot makes dry practice a lot better because you can see what your muzzle is doing as you press the trigger. That’s why I say red dot. Truth is, neither is necessary, but a red dot helps you practice better and practice is what really matters.
 
If you're going to do it, then go all in. Get the $800 Trijicon RMR HD, get a good mini-light, and carry it.

I sometimes carry a gun with irons and a mini light, but I find IWB holsters work better without lights and optics. I prefer irons with no weapon light and carry a small light in my pocket.
 
Well, K.I.S.S a good mindset. But lets be real. Carrying a gun daily, in itself, is preparing for a very very unlikely scenario. I think most who EDC, would agree that it’s never a bad thing, if possible, to be prepare for the very worse case scenario. That’s why you’ll want to have every tool at your disposal. However, unlikely it would be.

If finance is the issue, a reliable handgun with the extra being invested in training would be the best route. But between an RDS and a WML, I’ll take the WML. Some say a handheld can replace the WML, but there are significant drawback with not having both your hands on your gun.

Personally, I carry EVERYTHING. RDS, WML, Handheld Light, Pepper Spray, Folding Knife and extra Mag. I want to take very advantage available to me for the worse case scenario. I carry ALL of these daily in work clothes and my casual attire (as seen in picture). Not baggy and too loose fitting at all and very “gray man” ish. It’s definitely not impractical. You just have to invest in the right equipments.

I carry everything too.

1762492330800.png
 
Honestly a light over a dot would be the easier set upaith the most practical use. Im still learning my dot. Im still faster with irons. Xmacro trl7 sub
 
A lot of responses are about “at home” and for me it’s definitely all 3 at home. I like that my handheld has a strobe function if I feel that is useful at the moment as a distraction while the WML is still a constant.
 
When I posted about gun mounted light I was referring to my home defense handgun. But when out & about at nite here is a pic of the light I normally carry and what the beam looks like @ 20 yards.
Which little light is that?
 
A light on a CCW would be helpful but be cautious of brandishing a firearm if you don't have to shoot. Even though it may be slower, a handheld light would be a better option.
 
red dots are great for people who can’t shoot
 

@Deleted member 11316 - red dots are great for people who can’t shoot​

Or for people whose eyesight is bad or going bad. Like me who is blind in one eye and can't see out of the other :rolleyes: I wish they made braille sights.
speak up librol
 
Doesn't adding things like this make your CCW less concealed and more cumbersome? Not sure I understand the concept, but I envision CCW for quick unexpected self-defense.
 
Back
Top Bottom