18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Reloading Economics

I got into reloading mainly for 308 but also to have the pieces needed in case ammo shortages occured which over the last 25 years or so has happened. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. I would recommend to build a stash of the pieces when prices are low, then when a Walmart Black Friday rush event happens you'll be glad you have it, and if not sell it.
 
What's your time worth? If you reload on Sundays when you'd be making double time, you might be deluded into thinking your time is worth a lot. But if you'd otherwise be sitting in your mom's basement watching tick tock videos and arguing on prepper forums, then your time is worth nothing.

I should go take pics of all my reloading equipment and put it up on the classifieds... but it would take time away from my CAGuns lurking.
How do you place a value tag on anybody's time but your own?
Is dollar & cash the only value you apply towards your time?
 
I hit the reloading pipe about a year and a half ago.

At the time my wife was shooting matches and practicing with me so we were burning up at least 2k rounds of 9mm a month.

Here's my take- if you enjoy reloading, shoot at least a couple times a month, can buy serious bulk components when its on sale and enjoy tinkering with different loads and recipes, its worth it.

Before I bought everything I mathed it out and I would break even at +/- 15k rounds.
I'm over 40k rounds now and would still rather load my own vs ordering it.
 
I think it is ok to do a comparison between prices for bulk ammo purchases and component cost for reloading.
Cost for equipment, plus experience $ time invested can hardly be calculated.
For some, this kind of hobby is invaluable. It just is. Perfect match.
I realized recently, it is not something I want to spend my time with.

I another forum I met a good 1/2 dozen folks who were eager to share some of their knowledge on how to get started with loading my own ammo.
It would have been .45lc, which sells for around $1/round. After initial engagement, I found out it's not for me.
Time and money well spent going to the store and buy 100 rounds.

:)
 
I hit the reloading pipe about a year and a half ago.

At the time my wife was shooting matches and practicing with me so we were burning up at least 2k rounds of 9mm a month.

Here's my take- if you enjoy reloading, shoot at least a couple times a month, can buy serious bulk components when its on sale and enjoy tinkering with different loads and recipes, its worth it.

Before I bought everything I mathed it out and I would break even at +/- 15k rounds.
I'm over 40k rounds now and would still rather load my own vs ordering it.
Sounds like a true enthusiast! ;)
 
you are paying way too much for components. 2.2c for 3.8 grains of titegroup, 4 cents for winchester SPP, 9 cents for everglades 124 grain plated can go to 7.5 for the discount "blem" ones. More like 160 per 1000 at todays prices. It does take time though, i load 100 in a little under 20 minutes so maybe 1.5 hours for 1000 but I like doing it. Even with a FFL03 is anyone actually getting 9mm for less than 300/1000 that isn't some F-ed up brand like "scorpion" or privi partisan?
Yes

1790621486911.webp
 
you are paying way too much for components. 2.2c for 3.8 grains of titegroup, 4 cents for winchester SPP, 9 cents for everglades 124 grain plated can go to 7.5 for the discount "blem" ones. More like 160 per 1000 at todays prices. It does take time though, i load 100 in a little under 20 minutes so maybe 1.5 hours for 1000 but I like doing it. Even with a FFL03 is anyone actually getting 9mm for less than 300/1000 that isn't some F-ed up brand like "scorpion" or privi partisan?
Frankly, I wouldn't want to shoot your home made ammo either.

The calculation somehow doesn't add up.
100 rds in 20 minutes, that would make 1000 rds in 200 minutes.
1.5 hrs are 90 minutes. You nearly double your speed from 100 to 1k rounds as you are loading happily ever after.
What's your secret? :cool:
 
I have been reloading since the mid 90's and it was worth it then. I still reolad today. I buy my bullets from Everglades in FL, and Bearcreek in NorCal for my very old pistols. Things are more expensive now, but I just look for deals and wait for no haz-mat fee days, and I buy in bulk. I like the fact I know what I am putting in my firearms, especially the older stuff. I currently reload 13 different calibers, all rifle and pistol. I plan to get a shotshell press to start 12ga, as I started shooting a lot skeet.
Although, it may seem not worth it here are some thoughts.
I don't pay the 11%, nor do I have to perform and background check a pay a fee. No waiting in line to get something I ordered that won't ship to my home, and no fee's to an FFL.
Another big pay off is during the ammo drought times, I have plenty and can make plenty more.
It gives me something to do, and is a place I can go relax and listen to music and make ammo.
I agree it may not work for everyone, but I personally enjoy it, and it gives me another reason to go to the range.
 
For older firearms with odd caliber ammo, I think it's perfectly applicable to load your own ammo.
For high volume in 9mm, it may be worth while as well.
Time from collecting your spent brass, removing used primers, brush it, wash it, load it, seat the bullets, crimp, polish etc.
It takes a lot of experience to load 1k 9mm rounds and make sure the ammo is safe to shoot.
 
I save tons of money reloading, but I mostly shoot obscure obsolete calibers. 8x56r is 2$/round right now. I can reload it for probably 50 cents or so. Been loading up a bunch of 45-70 with black powder for my trapdoor. Trapdoor loads seem to be 2$+ online.

I see 9mm for 13cpr on ammoseek, 556 starting at 25cpr. Maybe 308 is worth it, starting at 60cpr. 9mm and 556 definitely look like they aren't.
 
Back
Top Bottom