Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
Do you get paid that for all the time that you are not billing too?I bill $100-125 an hourish so that's about how I value my time.
hah I wish! Obviously any business has taxes and the paperwork I dread like invoicing. But I do work like 50-60 hours many weeksDo you get paid that for all the time that you are not billing too?
If so, reloading is not likely for you.
If you are making $100/hr all day, every day, that's $16,800 per week and you can certainly afford to buy ammo instead of reloading.
I’m not an addict. I can stop any time I want. I just don’t want to.You might be a reloading addict when you have a counting scale to count your brass, bullets and loaded rounds.
With materials premiums and RMR, I charge a lot more than that but I enjoy hand loading and that’s how I value my time.I bill $100-125 an hourish so that's about how I value my time.
That's what you bill your clients. Now, you wouldn't turn down a client because you were planning to re-load a few thousand rounds of ammo instead.I bill $100-125 an hourish so that's about how I value my time.
we did the math above but it's at least 100 dollars per 1000 of savings and on a progressive press it takes me about 90 minutes to load 1000. And that 100 dollars savings is using 124s or even 147s vs the literal cheapest 9mm that's probably 115s and an unknown velocity. The savings is substantial but it does take time and you have to like it. No one is loading 9mm on a turret press, at least no one sane.Reloads don't make sense at all unless its part of your hobby. And, by hobby its more than just the activity itself, its the, materials and sourcing; including in some part, scavenging, or capturing your own spent casings, or it ends up being more expensive than boxed options. Not sure Id call that fun, but let's just say to the reloader it is all part of it.
Without factoring the labor at all (because its fun'), lets suppose you can knock 3-5 cents off of 9mm round. That's $30 to $50 per 1K. Let's assume that the enthusiast has a manually indexed Turret Press that does 150 to 200 rds/hour. Thats 5 to 7 hours to produce 1K rounds, translating to about $7 of savings per hour. With @Gawernator hourly rate, he'd be spending $700 bucks to save $50.
It's a fundamental question I had to answer for myself: Can I afford to shoot firearms? Which includes buying ammo.... and you can certainly afford to buy ammo instead of reloading.
lol crazy. Even at subcontract jobs like $60/hr surveillance yeah.... it does seem like a lot of effort and I barely have free time as isReloads don't make sense at all unless its part of your hobby. And, by hobby its more than just the activity itself, its the, materials and sourcing; including in some part, scavenging, or capturing your own spent casings, or it ends up being more expensive than boxed options. Not sure Id call that fun, but let's just say to the reloader it is all part of it.
Without factoring the labor at all (because its fun'), lets suppose you can knock 3-5 cents off of 9mm round. That's $30 to $50 per 1K. Let's assume that the enthusiast has a manually indexed Turret Press that does 150 to 200 rds/hour. Thats 5 to 7 hours to produce 1K rounds, translating to about $7 of savings per hour. With @Gawernator hourly rate, he'd be spending $700 bucks to save $50.
Does that include poking/flipping primers, cleaning brass? Those two things take hours for me. Maybe I need some schooling on how to clean. Do you have a bullet feeder? I load on a 650 for reference.9mm math
Projectiles are 7-10 cents depending on weight, type and quality, yes you can easily pay more but that is what I pay for competition style loads
Powder 3 cents per
Primers are about 5 cents
Brass is negligible as you are reusing multiple times
That puts you about 15-18 cents per round or $150 -$180/1000 rounds
All these numbers require purchasing in bulk. I am still loading off of supplies I bought last black Friday and with those supplies I am loading 147gr Hi-Tek coated 9mm for $135/1000.
The biggest benefit for me though is being able to control my loads.
If you are shooting a box a couple of times a month then no reloading is probably not for you. I easily shoot 1k a month in 9mm so even the smallest savings adds up quickly.
Oh, and as for time. On a Dillon 750, it takes me about 90 minutes to load 1000 rounds. Not a huge time investment.
Oops for the reloader who is considering their time as 'free', let's at least factor the cost of the machine. Rather than a cost per hour, lets treat each hour spent as paying for equipment with the savings. Just need to add about a weeks worth of work, er hobbying, to get to break even.lol crazy. Even at subcontract jobs like $60/hr surveillance yeah.... it does seem like a lot of effort and I barely have free time as is
I use a double alpha automatic primer tube loader. For cleaning I just wet tumble with dish soap for an hour then rinse and put in a tray in the sun. I was a couple three gallons of brass at a time which is thousands of rounds, I think it's 1200 shells per gallon. You don't need 9mm to be scrubbed and polished.Does that include poking/flipping primers, cleaning brass? Those two things take hours for me. Maybe I need some schooling on how to clean. Do you have a bullet feeder? I load on a 650 for reference.
Of course not. I always find it fascinating, brass doesn't cost anything, because you are saving your spent brass. Imagine, after a range event you pickup 1k brass cases. Given, some firing lines have a nice concrete surface where you use a broom to sweep it all up, drop it into a box and sort it later.Does that include poking/flipping primers, cleaning brass? Those two things take hours for me. Maybe I need some schooling on how to clean. Do you have a bullet feeder? I load on a 650 for reference.
I have been considering the DAA primer feeder and the mr bullet rig. That would speed up things immensely. I load 5k of 9 a year plus various 45 and 223 but mainly 9, usually all together over a week or two if I get busy. The prep is for the birds LOL.I use a double alpha automatic primer tube loader. For cleaning I just wet tumble with dish soap for an hour then rinse and put in a tray in the sun. I was a couple three gallons of brass at a time which is thousands of rounds, I think it's 1200 shells per gallon. You don't need 9mm to be scrubbed and polished.
The primer feeder may be the single most time saving device of all, second being the case feeder. I still don't have a bullet feeder, well I did have a 3d printed one but it sucked and then it broke. It doesn't slow it down that much to place the bullet though.I have been considering the DAA primer feeder and the mr bullet rig. That would speed up things immensely. I load 5k of 9 a year plus various 45 and 223 but mainly 9, usually all together over a week or two if I get busy. The prep is for the birds LOL.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!