18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Gear Sometimes Red Dots Fail

What's tactical?

Do you run a Red Dot?

  • Yes, RDS ftw

    Votes: 29 42.6%
  • Nope, irons only

    Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Co-witness

    Votes: 31 45.6%

  • Total voters
    68
The Shield Sights RMSc arrived along with a Surefire XCS. I removed the Holoson 407k that I had mounted on my 43x MOS and replaced it with the RMSc.

On the 43x I prefer the RMSc over the 407k because it mounts without an adapter plate, has a lower profile, and allows cowitness of the factory sights.

Attached photo shows a before, with the 407k mounted, and after with the RMSc mounted.
The low profile looks nice. Looking forward to hearing feedback on how it works. I typically like bigger windows but low profile makes sense for ccw but haven’t tried it.
 
The only RDS I trust are Trijicon RMRs. Holosuns/Sigs for range toys and .22lr guns is fine, but anything you depend on for you life, might as well get something worthwhile.
 
Never had a failure on my RMR’s Sig optics go through batteries like crazy and have had one (ROMEOZero) completely fail.

That being said Back up irons are a must. I’ve experienced Dot washout that for a EDC/Duty setup I would never go without.
 
I shoot irons in Production. I shot 2 matches in the rain and had a hard time picking up the fiber optic front sight . I took a CCW renewal class in the pouring rain, but since it was mostly flatfooted slow fire, not as much of an issue on 3 carry guns with irons.

I put a Holosun EPS on my P365XL after and I love it! I shot 2 matches with it and target acquisition was faster. In addition to the XL, I carry a P-01 and G19.

The issue with the P-01 is that to co witness , you have to cover the extractor pin hole and have the extractor pin shortened. That means when you want to clean your gooey extractor after 3-5000 rounds, you have to remove the optic to access the pin. You may need to re-zero. On the Production SP-01 gun, I want to get rid of the rear sight for this reason when I eventually add an optic .
 
I’ve had good luck with PMOs so far. I’ve had an iron front sight come loose on a Glock in the past and am currently dealing with a pinned front iron sight that is canted on one of my revolvers. Each system has their quirks and downsides.
 
The low profile looks nice. Looking forward to hearing feedback on how it works. I typically like bigger windows but low profile makes sense for ccw but haven’t tried it.

Now I’m waiting on a Vedder Holsters I ordered for my 43x. The Vedder was custom ordered for the 43x, XSC, and RDS.
So far the RMSc is working fine, the notable differences between the RMSc and 407k is the RMSc sits lower because it doesn’t require a plate allowing a 1/3 cowitness and the RMSc is always on.

I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel about the RMSc always being on but I’ve had problems with the 407k shake awake where it wouldn’t turn on unless you smacked it around for a few minutes.

I picked up another RMSc that I’m going to mount to my Sig P365 and leave the 407k in a drawer or give it my BIL for his P365.

My H&K P2000SK is at Wright Armory having the slide milled to accept a Trijicon RMRcc right now. And I’m waiting delivery on the RMRcc.

The Vedder IWB ComforTuck holster didn’t work out for me. The leather backing is too low and allows the rear of the Glock 43x beaver tail to dig into my back. I’m in contact with Vedder for a refund. For a new holster I’m going custom IWB with Theis Holsters. The only catch is I have to send him my Surefire XSC because he doesn’t have a mold for that light.

The attached photos show my 43x in a Crossbreed holster with ample leather backing and the 43x in a Vedder holster with not enough leather backing behind the slide and beaver tail. That little sliver of leather makes a big difference as the 43x beaver tail will dig into your back.

IMG_6144.jpeg
IMG_6148.jpeg
 
I’ve always run a Burris FF3 on my CZs. Thousands and thousands of rounds (like 10K) and never had one issue. I even had a new backup unit in the safe just incase. It just sat there. Well I decided to get the FF4 because of the bigger window. My FFs were directly mounted to the slide so the footprint had a big part in getting the FF4. Anyway the unit came in the mail and it mounted right up. Next day I took it out and it would not hold a zero and died in less then 20 rounds. Yes it was mounted correctly and screws were tight. It’s the same unit as the FF3. I called Burris and went through the 3 weeks it took to get the replacement. New one came and I mounted it up. Next day I took it out and this one was better. I lasted about 40 rounds before it just died. Went through the whole warrant ordeal and again 3 weeks later another unit arrived. Same thing happened only this time the dead unit is on my desk as a paperweight. I could get another brand new unit but why at this point. It’s just a $350 lesson imo. Well I put the old FF3 back on and it never died after about 5K rounds …until I went with some 507 comps. I guess I’m just saying sometimes the dots just die. Handguns are a tough environment for a red dot to live in.
 
In the past 5-6 years I’ve had 4 holosuns need to be replaced (507, 508t and 2 509t’s) an Acro p2 and a Steiner mps for pistol dots. For rifles an eotech exps-3 started loosing connection and they fixed it.
I think you are the destroyer of dots, the sheer amount of RMA's is breath taking.
 
I've been shooting a dot now for about 20 years. Until recently, they have all been frame mounted as the early dots didn't live very long on a slide.

I've got a Holosun on a G17 and so far it's been fine but I don't have that many rounds through it and after seeing the video above, sounds like new screws are in order.
 
Back
Top Bottom