caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

Gear Sometimes Red Dots Fail

What's tactical?

Do you run a Red Dot?

• Yes, RDS ftw

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Nope, irons only

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Co-witness

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

ikeo1

Administrator
Staff member
In the last couple of years, I've had a couple of problem with RDS systems. As much as people say optics are reliable, they are electronic devices and mechanical so they're prone to error.

In this case with the Canik, the caps of the screws were weak and sheered off after ~6k rounds. After talking with the guys in r/canik apparently this is a thing. On my Sig Romeo 3Max, ~8k rounds the zero fell off and needs to be sent back. According to Mason Lane, another top shooter had the same problem I had where the emitter just lost zero completely.

Main problems with dots:
  • They can lose zero if not tightened properly
  • Optics can sheer off if tightened too much or screws are weak
  • Lose battery in the middle of what you're doing
  • Once it happens, what's your backup plan
There's a lot of good things about dots and I still use them, but these are just the realities of using them. The most important aspect is maintenance and always verifying the dot is where it needs to be if you can. I need to do better and check my zero more often. It's been hurting bad lately in matches.

Have you ever had an issue with irons or red dots?

IMG_2466.jpeg

In the past 5-6 years I’ve had 4 holosuns need to be replaced (507, 508t and 2 509t’s) an Acro p2 and a Steiner mps for pistol dots. For rifles an eotech exps-3 started loosing connection and they fixed it.

I run a dot on my carry guns. Thousands of rounds through them in aggregate and I've only had a problem with the holosun 507k on my x-macro. It's chewing through batteries so I'm having to replace every third month or so despite being rated for 50k hours. I contacted holosun and they'll warranty it, but it's on my primary ccw and I don't feel like being without it for months so I'm just living with it.

I mark all my dots with a paint pen when I get them isntalled. Really easy to see if screws are starting to unwork.

Attachments

• IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 6
For a carry/duty, I'd absolutely want co-witnessed backup iron sights for that very purpose. For a range toy, worst thing that can happen is it cuts your day short.

My Trijicon RM02 is holding up fine, but I found my idea of a 'little bit' of thread locker is a bunch more than the extractor on my g19 appreciated. Oops.

That'll only become interesting again when I have to change the battery.

I only have Holosuns so admittedly I'm not paying for duty quality optics, but I havent experienced any of those issues myself. My only problem if you want to even call it that, is that I've found that if I shoot in low light settings if the sight's brightness is dialed up high from last shooting in high noon daylight, the dot is so damn bright that it glares massively across the glass. This is a user issue though and doesnt necessarily happen if your sight can auto adjust the brightness, but it certainly becomes a liability if you plan on carrying with an optic.

I mark all my dots with a paint pen when I get them isntalled. Really easy to see if screws are starting to ununwork.
I've seen someone do that for the windage and elevation dials but that's really clever to do with the screws too, thanks

I run a dot on my carry guns. Thousands of rounds through them in aggregate and I've only had a problem with the holosun 507k on my x-macro. It's chewing through batteries so I'm having to replace every third month or so despite being rated for 50k hours. I contacted holosun and they'll warranty it, but it's on my primary ccw and I don't feel like being without it for months so I'm just living with it.

I mark all my dots with a paint pen when I get them isntalled. Really easy to see if screws are starting to unwork.
Everyone I’ve sent in was back within a couple weeks

Sending this guy in for repair via FedEx. It depends where there repair center is. They said since I'm close by, it might be 7-10 working days. It has about 8-10k rounds through it.

When it comes to optic quality, I'd say the coating on the SigSauers are the best I've tried. They don't have the double/triple dot during sunset

IMG_2667.jpeg

I believe red dots are the future but I personally have not been able to use them effectively on a pistol. I only have one pistol with a red dot, all others are iron sights.

I like RDS but I grew shooting irons and that’s what I’m used to, and which I prefer. Might change in the future if my vision (nearsightedness) worsens.

I believe red dots are the future but I personally have not been able to use them effectively on a pistol. I only have one pistol with a red dot, all others are iron sights.
I'm the opposite. I hardly have any with iron sights.. The new Walther has them cowitnessed so now I have irons!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back