18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

The 1911 is the best handgun

Beautiful, hits hard for a pistol, proven...only limitation is capacity. As much as I appreciate Glock's simplicity at half the price, every man should have a 1911.
 
Beautiful, hits hard for a pistol, proven...only limitation is capacity. As much as I appreciate Glock's simplicity at half the price, every man should have a 1911.
Yes indeed.
The 1911 platform is also one of my daughter’s favorites. She also taught her husband how to use them.
 
Yes indeed.
The 1911 platform is also one of my daughter’s favorites. She also taught her husband how to use them.
Points naturally, the weight helps with recoil, make sense. I cringe when new shooters at shops get introduced to a .40 Glock or a JFrame.
 
I disagree. The examples I have examined or shot left much to be desired. But, if the one you have works, then I am happy for you.

Those are new arguments to me. How are the ergos horrible and how is it difficult?

Having to ride the thumb safety so you don't activate it under recoil is a goofy concept. Not only do some people risk the possibility of that action pulling the palm off of the grip safety and making the gun impossible to fire, but you are sacrificing a contact point of control by not having the thumb on the frame itself.
 
I just picked up my first 1911 yesterday, and went all out with an unfired Ed Brown from a local auction house. Now I'm not sure I want to shoot the beauty, and maybe should get another 1911 that I won't mind shooting the hell out of at the range...

Decisions, decisions.

God Bless America, and God Bless John Moses Browning
 
some of my more modern 1911 and 1911esque guns
also got a stac C2 and a DW CBOB and some 1970's era Colts and a WWII Remington rand
love me a 1911 style gun

but if you ask me to choose one and only one. USP 45
 

Attachments

  • Wilson combat cqb.jpeg
    Wilson combat cqb.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Nighthawk.jpeg
    Nighthawk.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 9
  • EDC X9.jpeg
    EDC X9.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 7
I just picked up my first 1911 yesterday, and went all out with an unfired Ed Brown from a local auction house. Now I'm not sure I want to shoot the beauty, and maybe should get another 1911 that I won't mind shooting the hell out of at the range...

Decisions, decisions.

God Bless America, and God Bless John Moses Browning
Shoot it. Be the first. If you elect not to, that only means somebody else will, and hopefully it will be your kids.
Your Ed Brown was made to be used. A lot.
When you start to own a fair number to high-end 1911’s, having shot all of them allows you the experience of noticing very small details and nuances of each one. Then start collecting from the lower price points, and you will be educated. You may be surprised at what you learn.
 
If your 1911 isn’t in .455 eley go sit in corner
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4669.jpeg
    IMG_4669.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 7
THIS👆!!!

Those Glock guys…SMH
I actually own 3 but… there’s nothing like a 1911

I started my personal pistol journey with a Ruger MkII and then a 1911. Initially I didn't like Glocks because I though they were too light and too snappy on the recoil. It wasn't until about 2015 or so when a co-worker of mine, a former USAF SF guy, showed me how to properly shoot a Glock - it was mostly my grip that was the issue. That and how to replace the trigger connector for a lighter pull that agreed with me. The problem was me.

My G19.3 is my SHTF/do-it-all gun and I'm glad to have it. It's not perfect, but it's accurate and easy to maintain. I think every pistol owner should own a 1911 and a G19 at some point. They are two archetypes.
 
My first 1911 was a Springfield mil spec. Saw it on sale at Turners years ago, got a great deal just over 600 bucks.

Always wanted one as my dad had his Colt he used in WW2. Wish I knew what happend to that Colt. Maybe someday I'll find it here.
 
Having to ride the thumb safety so you don't activate it under recoil is a goofy concept. Not only do some people risk the possibility of that action pulling the palm off of the grip safety and making the gun impossible to fire, but you are sacrificing a contact point of control by not having the thumb on the frame itself.
Who on earth rides the safety for the reason of not engaging it?! 😂 that’s just some fud stuff if I’ve ever heard it!
 
Shoot it. Be the first. If you elect not to, that only means somebody else will, and hopefully it will be your kids.
Your Ed Brown was made to be used. A lot.
When you start to own a fair number to high-end 1911’s, having shot all of them allows you the experience of noticing very small details and nuances of each one. Then start collecting from the lower price points, and you will be educated. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Great advice, I think that's exactly what I'll do
 
The first time I ever shot a 1911 was when I met a fellow gunner at the range as we were doing a trade. Didn't know what to expect but had a very decent grouping at 15 yds as we both test fired each others gun. Loved it. Love the form and accuracy. Took me a minute to get the proper grip as I had a few dry fires that wouldnt fire : ). Want to try the SA EMP 9mm and possibly use that for my ccw.
 
They shoot really nice and the single stage trigger is great. Do I want 230 grains with a cocked hammer pointed at the wedding tackle? Nope.
 
Back
Top Bottom