- Messages
- 263
- Classified ads
- 1
Time to soak it in hydrochloric acid. Won't touch stainless or steel but will eat through aluminum fast. Not sure about any coatings the slide might have. I believe it will strip any nitriding or blueing through.
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
The dovetail is fine and so is the finish but onky looks bad because of the brass and aluminum transfer.Time for an optic cut.![]()
Had that guy DM me. I thought it was just a joke.Interested. Well you take body armor in trade?
SaaaaaaameHad that guy DM me. I thought it was just a joke.
I have a mill.Diamond Bar
Randal I contemplated driving out But somone is borrowing my car this week druing my available hours. I walked over to UPS and sent it off to get cut. For the purposed of this thread what do you think was used to install this sight?I have a mill.
I am not that far from you.
yes I did the same thing. The entire sight sheard off except the dove tail portion and a small section with two circle dimples at the rear just behind the dovetail. When I couldnt get that very thing section to lift I knew they used something I was no match for. Not even a mm of movement. I still can't believe it.I have a mill.
I am not that far from you.
I took the top of the sight off by removing the roll pin and the elevator screw and there are 2 setscrews in the dovetail that keep the dovetail from moving.
Sight base is obviously cast or MIM.yes I did the same thing. The entire sight sheard off except the dove tail portion and a small section with two circle dimples at the rear just behind the dovetail. When I couldnt get that very thing section to lift I knew they used something I was no match for. Not even a mm of movement. I still can't believe it.
You know.. this is impressive... Can wait to see the end result... I would mill and be done with it!UPDATE. Sent it off to get Dougified over at ATEI. I think Ive dont like 30+ slides there over the last 2009.
Back Story. I AM NOT a gunsmith. I have however removed or installed over 100 sights. Front and Rear. HK, FN, S&W, SIG, 1911, 2011, GLOCK ETC.
Tools I have or have used: MGW Armory SIGHT PRO, brass, aluminum, steel punches etc
Enter: Rock Island Armory Match Pro Ultra FS. Cheap 1911 I purchased on a whim. Actually shoots quite nice. Changed the grips, safety and moved to GI guide rod and plug. Hate the factory rear with its rounded corners and catty wampus tilting rear blade. Ordered a Kensight LPA TRT rear to replace.
The factory rear must come off.
Soaked in reds for a day, used sight pusher. NO JOY.
Soaked in reds for a day again. Used and bent or broke about a dozen brass and aluminum punches. WTF.
Soaked in Reds half a day. Busted out the REAL STEEL punches and 3lb mini sledge. SHEARED THE ENTIRE TOP half of the sight clean off. DOVETAIL DOESNT BUDGE aHAIR
Tried Heat, started left to right from rear. Tried right to left. Tried center to right center to left.
Spent the rest of the day attempting to get said dovetail off in various ways. Even cut right down the middle with a mini saw. nothing moves.
WTF do they put on these things????
Currently defeated. Assessing the Situation. I'm thinking only a mill can save me at this point or I just send her off for an optic cut, though it was never meant to be that.
Photo up for your viewing pleasure and amusement.
No Damage but lots of aluminum and brass transfer that I have not removed.
For this particular low budget gun I did not intend to spend this much more. It gets to Doug tomorrow. will be a few weeks or more to see the final result but Ill be sure to update.You know.. this is impressive... Can wait to see the end result... I would mill and be done with it!
For this particular low budget gun I did not intent to spend this much more. It gets to dug tomorrow. will be a few weeks or more to see the final result but Ill be sure to update.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!