18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Thread Crapping on listings.. Vote!

Take a survey

Do you want to allow thread crapping on listings?

  • Yes - should be able to comment on price

    Votes: 59 32.2%
  • No - No comments on price

    Votes: 84 45.9%
  • Emojis ftw! -💩🍆👍

    Votes: 40 21.9%

  • Total voters
    183
  • Poll closed .
Whatever the community wants works. Doesn't bother me particularly either way, just giving my two cents on my HCP story. Same price, same guy, two different reactions.

I do agree, we need an actual poll post pinned. 68 have voted while the community is larger than that. I've been scrolling past this post for awhile because I didn't care who steveo40 was. We'd get a lot more votes in if the title reflected the poll.
The vote is largely symbolic since its 60/40 relative split that people want to comment in some form.

I've updated the title since we hijacked the thread for a larger discussion.
 
every forum that allows comments on pricing in their respective marketplaces seem to descend into chaos and hard feelings

I believe this to be true. Human behavior, being what it is - Those who fail to learn from history...

Why open the door, regardless if it's text and/or emoji?

I'd rather not see negative comments on pricing (even if they are accurate comments).
 
That's the point of the emoji. The alternate buyer can do h/w then ultimately determine who is and not reputable. If its one emoji, it could mean nothing. If its 5, then the community is saying something. If the 5 have additional badges, it says even more, if the user has feedback, it says even more. The point of the emoji is to give people a way to communicate with a reaction. If you get a poop, an interested buyer will still see through it. The potential buyer will think the other guy can't afford it. If someone gives a lot of poop, they eventually get recognized and lose reputation in time. Those with good reputations, will mark something a good emoji and will help the item get sold.

You can see ~60% want to leave some sort of message to the 40% who do not. In my position, I have to try and accommodate both to continue to grow, so both sides don't lose 100%. Instead both of you give up a little, and the marketplace is better off as it continues to grow.
Lies, damn lies, and statistics haha!!

27% want to leave a comment
32% want to leave an emoji
41% want nothing left

It's not 60% vs 40%. It's 27% vs 40% and 32% vs 40%

The 'never commenters' outnumber the commenter group and the emoji group.

(And my position on the stats has nothing to do with the fact that I'm in the 'never commenter' group, haha!!)
 
I get it MrKly, but I have also seen over the last 25 years how every forum that allows comments on pricing in their respective marketplaces seem to descend into chaos and hard feelings.

I have no doubt you are right that this would happen.

Even though it goes against the way I think, I also believe you won’t have many people leave the forum because they aren’t allowed to thread crap (whether it is comment or emoji), but you’ll have more people leave if things start getting out of hand with the potential chaos. The way I think is from the perspective of a buyer who wants the off roster guns, and the other is something forum owners and mods should consider when deciding on a policy.
 
I have no doubt you are right that this would happen.

Even though it goes against the way I think, I also believe you won’t have many people leave the forum because they aren’t allowed to thread crap (whether it is comment or emoji), but you’ll have more people leave if things start getting out of hand with the potential chaos.

Bingo!
 
So I understand, is it thread or price crapping to say this? So your gun has been for sale for 60 days and not sold maybe you should drop the price to a more reasonable one.
 
I haven't sold anything in over 10 years but there was a time I posted a very early and unique configuration 95% original finish S&W Registered Magnum on Calguns, a rare example even among regsiter'eds. While it didn't have its box or cert, it had a Roy Jinks letter authenticating it, and I was asking a very reasonable price of $6,500.


Sometimes guns are simply 'rare' or in 'mint' condition. I have some revolvers that are over 50 years old, original finish, with no turn-ring or barrel/slide wear. At a glance, an uninformed observer may think they were a 2024 production gun.
---
As a dedicated collector of RM’s, I’ve witnessed that as well, although I don’t ever sell any.
Having a notebook of Roy’s correspondence and factory letters furthers the following.
Sorry to threadjack, but any mention of a RM gets me going….
 
Not combined. Unfortunately. emoji + text = comment vs no comment. ;)

I know some people think 40% 41% is a majority, but its really not.
It's not a majority, it's a plurality. When you have more than 2 choices and one comes out on top. But it's your rodeo, so...
 
It's not a majority, it's a plurality. When you have more than 2 choices and one comes out on top. But it's your rodeo, so...
Bottom line is we all know people are going to leave a comment even if the rules say not to. Emoji is a small way that scratches the itch without all the bickering once people get used to it. I need scalable rules because banning is not what I want to do or moderate constantly. It's a waste of everyones time. This needs to be scalable with simple rules. No comments only an emoji. easy peezy.

When I say scalable, these should accommodate when membership hits 20-100k users and be simple to understand and follow. If people have to verbally react to a 🤣 or :poop: emoji because they can't handle it, then that's not the kind of person we want here. If you know what you got, it shouldn't matter what sticker people leave.
 
Last edited:
For me personally, unless it is a super rare, one-of-a-kind custom gun that people will be fighting over, I just laugh to myself whenever I see $1000 stock Glocks and move on.
It obviously isnt going to sell, so let the guy suffer silently.
It's a stock Glock. I don't think you can touch one for less than $3,000, Roster or not - even if it's ridiculous or not. :sneaky:💰

A0QBuqGl.jpg


---
 
I look at the ability to comment on pricing as a public service, to keep the marketplace honest.

I also get that caveat emptor is a thing, and those of us with a more conservative outlook would disfavor interfering with the invisible hand of the market. While most of us who have been around the firearms market for even a short while have a basic sense of good vs. bad pricing, and it's easy enough for us to pass on a listing, but I'm concerned that there's someone out there who will pay an obscenely inflated price. The existence of such "suckers" is what keeps these listings coming, after all. A fool and his money are readily parted, and perhaps they deserved getting gouged for not doing even a semblance of research. But we're a relatively small community, and we're still trying to build that community - helping a newbie not get ripped off can contribute meaningfully to that and we're not being a bunch of vipers trying to take advantage of another's lack of knowledge.

There will undoubtedly be listings that are beyond the comprehension of mere mortals, and the thing about the ignorant is that they don't know what they don't know. In the Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum example, a blowhard who didn't know the true rarity of the item commented and made a fool of himself, but I think most would have the humility to not comment in those instances where I do not have a true enthusiast's knowledge of pricing. I view these, too, as an educational opportunity that increases the overall knowledge of the marketplace and helps bring more enthusiasts into the fold of that particular firearms niche.
 
TL;DR: No Comments on sales.

For the “comment” and the “emoji” voters, I am curious as to what your behavior is when you enter a brick and mortar gun store and see prices which are at or above retail or not in alignment with your knowledge of the value of the item. Do you accost the sales person or owner and accuse them of gouging or simply overpricing their products? Do you proclaim that the store down the street (or an online vendor) has the exact same item for 20% less? If you see an individual being sold a gun at a high price, do you intervene to explain why it’s not a good buy? Do you drop the equivalent of an emoji pile on the counter?

Basically, do you “thread crap” in real life or only in the virtual world?

While I am sure some will report they intervene, I suspect the majority just STFU and move on with their lives until they get the chance to post up the egregious gouging behavior of one unnamed gun store.

Let the market find its level. We aren’t part of the Nanny State (at least I hope we aren’t).

Best.
 
Basically, do you “thread crap” in real life or only in the virtual world?

We aren’t part of the Nanny State (at least I hope we aren’t).

Is it supposed to be some sort of gotcha that the private and public market behaviors are different

How is leaving an emoji any different from just watching a customers face revealing a outrageous price tag and leaving. or people leaving a review on google saying such

Do you proclaim that the store down the street (or an online vendor) has the exact same item for 20% less

I definitely go home and tell my friends that so they dont get scammed.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom