18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Weird or no PPT - Unhelpful shop rules

I agree that it’s definitely been the case at most places since Covid. Turners at 10am when they open on Sunday is what I recommend. Sdguns and Royal Loan in San Diego are good FFLs across the board
 
Started during Covid and some of them changed, but not all. Find another FFL. I will not go to one that acts like this or has extra fees for nothing. Find a good shop like this and stick with them. I just did an intrastate family transfer with no appt, no surprise fees, and in and out in 30 minutes only because of the talking.
 
There were problems before COVID.

Anyone else remember the stores stacking on sales tax for PPTs blowing up on "the dead CA gun site" in the 2000s?

How about when the handgun Roster started and some stores wouldn't PPT off roster guns to try to sell their inventory?
 
SoCal guns in San Diego is usually good on north side of San Diego, down by Chula Vista you can’t beat West Coast Survival Arms goes by appointment but easy to get and fast , I try to make it a point to buy something during the ppt even if it’s just a box of ammo
 
I'm noticing a new trend with FFL's / shops being as unhelpful as they can with Private Party Transfers. One day a week, only by very limited appointment...you name it. Specifically, in my area:
City Arms - By appointment...called today on the 8th and their next appointment is for the 22nd??? I've been in there on a weekday...I know damn well it's not busy.
Solar Tactical - Only the first hour of the day
East Bay Firearms - Only on Thursdays

I'm a BIG believer in supporting those who support me. I buy maybe 50/50 used vs new guns, and I can tell you, if you're not helping me with my used guns, you won't be helping me with my new ones either. Many times I've been in a shop to do a PPT and had something catch my eye and ended up buying that too, but if you never even get me in the door...

What other shops do you know that have weird or unhelpful rules with their PPT's? How about good shops to deal with? Lets call 'em all out.
FFL Dealer Sunnyvale has reasonable rates, and has been more than willing to help with PPTs for me... even for ammo. Good communication and nice guys. I was established with them already after two FFL transfers first.

 
Just a plug for 29 Outdoor Gear. They’ve also got the best fee for ammo transfer I’ve seen. $25 for up to 3 shipping boxes. I use Target Sports a lot, and they’ll ship 2 cases per box, so 6000 rounds of ammo for just an extra $25.
 
Just a plug for 29 Outdoor Gear. They’ve also got the best fee for ammo transfer I’ve seen. $25 for up to 3 shipping boxes. I use Target Sports a lot, and they’ll ship 2 cases per box, so 6000 rounds of ammo for just an extra $25.
That was an old fee schedule.
Currently they state "Ammo transfer 10% of invoice." + 11% state excise tax.

That would be 21% of your ammo invoice to budget.
 
That was an old fee schedule.
Currently they state "Ammo transfer 10% of invoice." + 11% state excise tax.

That would be 21% of your ammo invoice to budget.
Yep. The states requirements of keeping video footage and paperwork for eternity among other stupid things is driving costs up for Gun stores . Margins are slim and internet competition makes it worse. I saw that they changed policy to cover costs. They used to charge $10 . Processing rifle brass sucks, but I reload everything now.
 
Yep. The states requirements of keeping video footage and paperwork for eternity among other stupid things is driving costs up for Gun stores . Margins are slim and internet competition makes it worse. I saw that they changed policy to cover costs. They used to charge $10 . Processing rifle brass sucks, but I reload everything now.
Strange to think about it, but I was 14 in 1988 haunting surplus stores, gun shows, Tri City, and Big 5 scouring under $100 cases of ammo.

Dragged my uncles and grandfathers around bc I'd have another "old rifle" held for me if I found a stash of ammo.

Either way I've been hand loading to get rifles to shoot groups forever.

I'm old now. I can still strap on 40-60lbs and take a long walk to go fishing with my buddies.

My desire to stick up meh quality ammo is long gone.

So glad I never got into the bullseye handgun thing. That is a seriously annoying chase when you add minor muscle movement shooting through a stage. Totally diff world from me rolling $4.00 rounds for 1000yd rifle.
 
Damn, thanks for letting me know. Guess I’ll try and find somewhere new for my annual order.
Time to get that 03 FFL for $30/three years (about $60 for initial setup with fingerprint cards) and the COE for $22/year (about $100 for initial setup with LiveScan) and have everything shipped to your door, haha!!

After the setup year, it's $32/year to maintain the 03+COE. Keeps your ammo purchases off the CADOJ database, too.
 
Time to get that 03 FFL for $30/three years (about $60 for initial setup with fingerprint cards) and the COE for $22/year (about $100 for initial setup with LiveScan) and have everything shipped to your door, haha!!

After the setup year, it's $32/year to maintain the 03+COE. Keeps your ammo purchases off the CADOJ database, too.
To clarify a couple of issues.

The FFL-03 doesn’t require fingerprints or photos, so the initial setup is $30 for a 3-year license.

For “maintenance” you’re calculating a per-year cost of $32/year, but you’re amortizing the FFL-03, $30 cost to renew for 3 years.

After the setup year, it’s only $22/yr for the 2d and 3rd years (each) of the COE, as no new LiveScan is needed (the FFL-03 runs 3 years),
For renewal at the 4th year, you pay $22 for a one-year COE and $30 for another 3 yrs of the FFL.

The only problem I’ve found is when prices drop, my credit card melts. :)

Best.
 
Last edited:
2AZone is my go-to for all things PPT and gun-related. Everyone there is nice, polite, helpful and knowledgeable. No one looks down on you for questions and trying to learn.

Even when they're slammed, which is often, they're top notch with service. Fees are extremely reasonable considering most dealers lose money handling PPT's.
 
I'm noticing a new trend with FFL's / shops being as unhelpful as they can with Private Party Transfers. One day a week, only by very limited appointment...you name it. Specifically, in my area:
City Arms - By appointment...called today on the 8th and their next appointment is for the 22nd??? I've been in there on a weekday...I know damn well it's not busy.
Solar Tactical - Only the first hour of the day
East Bay Firearms - Only on Thursdays

I'm a BIG believer in supporting those who support me. I buy maybe 50/50 used vs new guns, and I can tell you, if you're not helping me with my used guns, you won't be helping me with my new ones either. Many times I've been in a shop to do a PPT and had something catch my eye and ended up buying that too, but if you never even get me in the door...

What other shops do you know that have weird or unhelpful rules with their PPT's? How about good shops to deal with? Lets call 'em all out.

I will always think favorably of shops that do quick and efficient PPTs in-person with no real wait time (plenty of staff). If a shop only does PPT on some days it's okay, as long as I don't think they're actively discouraging me....especially if I've been buying guns and ammo from them. In their defense, I fully understand that PPTs don't bring in the money directly, and with only a few people in the shop it uses up the time of an employee who could be bringing in more money with sales. However, PPTs foster goodwill among customers who could become lifelong loyal customers.

I've been impressed by how quick and efficient 2A Zone Riverside are with PPTs, along with their good attitude and friendly demeanor. It makes me want to do every PPT through them in the future. Because of their great attitude and knowledge of SSE exemptions, they were my choice of FFL for the Wojtek FrankenquartsenKross. :D
 
Note that only the Solar Tactical in Castro Valley limits to one hour. The Livermore store does them all day up until the last hour of business
 
Back
Top Bottom