18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Well, it happened, signed for my first AB1263 compliant delivery

I went to an FFL today and asked how much they would be charging for parts, accessories, etc. They said no charge, and I was excited for a moment until I explained they have to hand out acknowledgement forms and collect signatures, they pulled up the bulletin and said: "ummm we need to figure this one out". 😎
Seems like they about to pull a magic number out of the party trick hat.
 
Seems like they about to pull a magic number out of the party trick hat.
They're cool peeps so it will likely be low priced. My greater point is that most FFL's have no clue about the new laws or how they will manage it.

Should be a fun few months while this gets sorted. 🥴
 
I bought from OP like 1 week ago, and it arrived 31st, so wasnt this year so those acknowledgements or signings* probably never was set in place for anyone that ordered toward end of last year. And yes a ar9 barrel was included in my order. They have a Jacob Grey 16" ar9 barrel for like 37$ w/taxes and shipped free if $50+, so had to get one.
 
I bought from OP like 1 week ago, and it arrived 31st, so wasnt this year so those acknowledgements or signings* probably never was set in place for anyone that ordered toward end of last year. And yes a ar9 barrel was included in my order. They have a Jacob Grey 16" ar9 barrel for like 37$ w/taxes and shipped free if $50+, so had to get one.
I'm more concerned with the expanded definition of "Manufacturing" in AB1263. I haven't heard anyone talking about it, but reading the form above seems pretty dire. If I'm not mistaken, assembling lowers + uppers + parts is now considered "Manufacturing" with all the associated legal consequences.
 
I'm more concerned with the expanded definition of "Manufacturing" in AB1263. I haven't heard anyone talking about it, but reading the form above seems pretty dire. If I'm not mistaken, assembling lowers + uppers + parts is now considered "Manufacturing" with all the associated legal consequences.
Then what constitutes repairing or maintenance?
I (personal opinion) think that is mumbo jumbo like some FFLs have put out in their own non-state paperwork (for their own record keeping, lawyer assigned homework), like Turners have been doing.
If you look at past (before this measure even was even written) paperworks that you signed at like Turners, Riflegear, I think few others (if you done dros there, not sure where you at) have you sign their own prefilled paperwork that states you will not manufacture the firearm into something illegal blahblah.
 
If you buy a stripped lower only. Does that mean you have to sell it as a stripped lower only? I would like to see the state that goes after every gunowner that sold that stripped lower into a complete lower to a complete rifle/pistol, which isn't going to happen. Or complete rifle/pistol into a lower only? I sold a few uppers to my originals already, so best believe I am going to sell my lowers as lowers only or with complete different legal length barrel than recorded on dros.

But yea, (my personal opinion), mumbo jumbo. (Knock on wood lol.)
 
Last edited:
Then what constitutes repairing or maintenance?
I (personal opinion) think that is mumbo jumbo like some FFLs have put out in their own non-state paperwork (for their own record keeping, lawyer assigned homework), like Turners have been doing.
If you look at past (before this measure even was even written) paperworks that you signed at like Turners, Riflegear, I think few others (if you done dros there, not sure where you at) have you sign their own prefilled paperwork that states you will not manufacture the firearm into something illegal blahblah.
I have no answers, only questions but Penal Code 29186 is NEW as introduced in AB1263, it explicitly calls out these things, it's not just some mumbo-jumbo concocted by an FFL or gun store:

1767264433557.webp
 
Last edited:
If you buy a stripped lower only. Does that mean you have to sell it as a stripped lower only? I would like to see the state that goes after every gunowner that sold that stripped lower into a complete lower to a complete rifle/pistol, which isn't going to happen. Or complete rifle/pistol into a lower only? I sold a few uppers to my originals already, so best believe I am going to sell my lowers as lowers only or with complete different legal length barrel than recorded on dros.

But yea, (my personal opinion), mumbo jumbo. (Knock on wood lol.)
I think it means if you assemble it with other parts into a finished firearm that counts as "Manufacturing". You can build 3 of these (in legal configurations) per year. I says you can't sell the assembled firearm to anyone other than a licensed manufacturer.

So a complete lower would be ok to sell because it's not a finished firearm, so would an upper by itself.

I'm no lawyer, just trying to figure out what this really means. I have a bad feeling the state is going to try and make examples of some people in the near future which would make sense if you believe their goal is to eliminate "assault weapons" completely. I hope I'm wrong.
 
All my ARs were built last year.

Just bought the barrel? Built the AR in 2025.

Just bought the upper? Built the AR in 2025.

Just bought the lower? Believe it or not, also built the AR in 2025.

🤫
😂
 
All my ARs were built last year.

Just bought the barrel? Built the AR in 2025.

Just bought the upper? Built the AR in 2025.

Just bought the lower? Believe it or not, also built the AR in 2025.

🤫
😂
Yea, not so fast buster! Did you buy more than 3 lowers last year? (DOJ knows how many and exactly which ones) You can only build 3 of them into complete rifles for "personal" use, but you can't sell any of them as a complete rifle regardless of when you bought or built them. Misdemeanor and no more gun rights for you for 10 years. If I'm right, expect to see more complete lowers and complete uppers for sale seperately this year.
 
Last edited:
Yea, not so fast buster! Did you buy more than 3 lowers last year? (DOJ knows how many and exactly which ones) You can only build 3 of them into complete rifles for "personal" use, but you can't sell any of them as a complete rifle. Misdemeanor and no more gun rights for you for 10 years.
2025 the AB measure would not be in affect.
 
2025 the AB measure would not be in affect.
Right, so owning the rifles you built in 2025 and prior is fine. In 2026 you are limited to building three. But it's the selling part (if I'm reading it correctly) that may be an issue. Honestly it's really hard to decipher what the law actually says and whom it applies to.
 
Last edited:
6 hours to pick up, it's like they hire those specifically to make us suffer for being a gunowner in CA.
I remember when they were looking for Gun Dept managers for Bass Pro Irvine before they opened. One of my few streets down neighbor, Walmart store manager, (that was ecstatic Walmart was no longer selling ammo) got an interview for it.
I seriously hope they didn't hire him in that store in any position.
even here in az buying a gun from bass pro is a real pain and a couple hour process.But a lcoal shop 15 min and done walking out with it.
 
I have a question. Live in a rural area and we only use a PO Box in town for all mail and packages. So how would that work? Would the post master sign for it and then I sign for it from the post master? Or am I SOL on my situation?
 
I have a question. Live in a rural area and we only use a PO Box in town for all mail and packages. So how would that work? Would the post master sign for it and then I sign for it from the post master? Or am I SOL on my situation?
Contact the post office. Usually they will hold packages that require signatures for you to come in and pick up. Some post offices have a "Premium PO Box Service" with Street Addressing for this type of situation.
 
This asinine law accomplishes one thing and that's turning law-abiding gun owners into criminals for having to do a workaround to get products delivered to them. This is going to do nothing to keep firearms out of bad people's hands. Everybody knows that a good chunk of the people are just going to have an item shipped to a friend or family member out of state who will then forward it to them without having to deal with the layers and layers of bull💩. Is it illegal, of course it is. But this is what happens when you enact utterly stupid laws upon people who are not breaking them in the first place
 
In my neighborhood it’s likely the mail carrier would report to law enforcement for that
USPS does electronic signatures. I have received high value stuff before from a vendor that required signature upon delivery. USPS just drops off at my second level entry way w/o bothering for a signature. FedEx and UPS may differ
 
USPS does electronic signatures. I have received high value stuff before from a vendor that required signature upon delivery. USPS just drops off at my second level entry way w/o bothering for a signature. FedEx and UPS may differ
I expect online retailers will mostly ship via services who document delivery as a CYA move.
 
Back
Top Bottom