18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Which Two Guns for SHTF

If I could only grab two firearms in a SHTF situation, they would be:

  • A rifle

    Votes: 303 51.9%
  • A carbine

    Votes: 214 36.6%
  • A shotgun

    Votes: 113 19.3%
  • A service sidearm

    Votes: 366 62.7%
  • A smaller sidearm for concealment

    Votes: 134 22.9%
  • Other

    Votes: 5 0.9%

  • Total voters
    584
Glock 17, LMT AR-15 maybe a JAKL upper in tow.

Mostly because of parts/ammo availability. Glock, AR-15 would likely be the easiest to find parts/ammo for.

Also don’t know how much moving around would be needed so don’t want to tow too much and best chances of finding it at new location.
 
I voted for a rifle. But for a CALIFORNIA compliant SHTF situation (lmao), I would grab the Mossberg 590 with 2 loaded bandoliers, and the Ruger Mark IV with 5 mags and a ziplock bag of about 1,000 rounds of 22.
 
Sidearm 100% must to fight your way to your/a primary long gun.
 
Depends if I’m at home or out and about.

At home it’s going to be a rifle and side arm.

If it happens while I’m out in the midst of it, I’m staying with something concealable. I not putting a target on my back walking around with a long gun.
 
If shtf we will all prob be dead, despite even the best trained, bull💩 happens and people get killed by friendly fire even in modern war. Or starvation, disease, etc will get you.

This is why I decided the “best,” is the most fun and badass gun I want to use. So either mp5k or mk12 and a full size pistol I have.

Its the end of the world, have some fun, have some style points. Aura farm
 
If shtf we will all prob be dead, despite even the best trained, bull💩 happens and people get killed by friendly fire even in modern war. Or starvation, disease, etc will get you.

This is why I decided the “best,” is the most fun and badass gun I want to use. So either mp5k or mk12 and a full size pistol I have.

Its the end of the world, have some fun, have some style points. Aura farm

Yeah, the odds of everyone's fantasy of sitting in your home, cool as a cucumber while you mow down wave after wave of "bad guys" who have worse than stormtrooper accuracy is pretty low.

One armed up house is pretty much gonna be easy meat for bad guys, in the long run. You might scare 'em off initially... but they'll be back... and in greater numbers (like SandPeople).

Now, you've got a few like-minded neighbors... that's a different story.
 
For someone that went thru a revolution in 89 being mobile and looking in place does miracles. My dad that 3 yrs military training in urban warfare just wanted to get out of there and took side streets to stay out of sight of the main groups. Everything out of place will attack attention and can get you kill! Have a compact gun and a break apart riffle if you must like a 10/22 takedown, but do not show you are comando or rambo, even a rock form the crowd can take you out!

This^^^!

Being invisible/unnoticed is smartest way to survive.

SHTF probably means natural disaster in which case a concealed pistol is probably best, along with going unnoticed.

If SHTF is a conflict, we’d be dealing with drones and the tech they carry in which case none of my long guns are adequate.
 
Lately I've really liked the idea of having something that can do it all...good to have with me if I need to be mobile (concealable in a backpack), good for defense, etc. So I've been liking the FPC 10mm and a 9mm sidearm (g19c or Hellcat Pro). I love 1911s but the extra steps for takedown and more frequent lubing seem like considerable drawbacks.

With that said I tend to prioritize all the other things I'd really need in a SHTF situation...IFAK, water/food/shelter systems, survival equipment, bags that are functional and unlikely to be tagged as a "tactical" bag, etc.
 
My featureless AR running an EoTech and M600 and then G19 Gen4 with X300U. Been my go to for some time now.
If I wanted something fancy then Beretta 1301 Tactical and Walther P99 Gen 1.
 
Lately I've really liked the idea of having something that can do it all...good to have with me if I need to be mobile (concealable in a backpack), good for defense, etc. So I've been liking the FPC 10mm and a 9mm sidearm (g19c or Hellcat Pro). I love 1911s but the extra steps for takedown and more frequent lubing seem like considerable drawbacks.

With that said I tend to prioritize all the other things I'd really need in a SHTF situation...IFAK, water/food/shelter systems, survival equipment, bags that are functional and unlikely to be tagged as a "tactical" bag, etc.
Not sure the legality of these. Seems like it would be a good thing to put in the backpack for a SHTF scenario, especially if you didn’t have a PCC or rifle.
 
Yeah, the odds of everyone's fantasy of sitting in your home, cool as a cucumber while you mow down wave after wave of "bad guys" who have worse than stormtrooper accuracy is pretty low.

One armed up house is pretty much gonna be easy meat for bad guys, in the long run. You might scare 'em off initially... but they'll be back... and in greater numbers (like SandPeople).

Now, you've got a few like-minded neighbors... that's a different story.

The ultimate fantasy🥹
 
Lately I've really liked the idea of having something that can do it all...good to have with me if I need to be mobile (concealable in a backpack), good for defense, etc. So I've been liking the FPC 10mm and a 9mm sidearm (g19c or Hellcat Pro). I love 1911s but the extra steps for takedown and more frequent lubing seem like considerable drawbacks.

With that said I tend to prioritize all the other things I'd really need in a SHTF situation...IFAK, water/food/shelter systems, survival equipment, bags that are functional and unlikely to be tagged as a "tactical" bag, etc.
Stop giving me reasons to buy an FPC even tho I already have a 1022 takedown.
 
Stop giving me reasons to buy an FPC even tho I already have a 1022 takedown.
Just do it man lol. They're so different that you might as well get both. Speaking as someone who also has the 10/22, even the PC9 takedown...something so satisfying about just being able to zip, flip, bang (heyooo)
 
Not sure the legality of these. Seems like it would be a good thing to put in the backpack for a SHTF scenario, especially if you didn’t have a PCC or rifle.
Seems like a gimmick imo. It doesn't fasten to your pistol so it's only secured by rearward pressure? If you change that pressure it would fall down and distract you. What if you have to move or run or crouch? Their "endorsements" on the site aren't that promising either.
 
Back
Top Bottom