18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Why revolver?

I’ve never owned a revolver...

Well, since you're a gun guy, it's clearly time for you to get one. Go see for yourself!

(1) Revolvers have MUCH more flexibility in ammunition that semis. Power level, bullet weight, bullet shape and cartridge length can vary substantially without affecting reliability. 38/357 is the classic example, but there are many other chamberings to which this applies. My Ruger Single-Seven in 327 Federal was the size of a 22LR gun, but could shoot factory loads that ranged from mouse farts to flaming dragons, plus an unlimited variety of handloads. Try shooting full wadcutters out of your favorite semi...

(2) (Most) revolvers have a simpler "manual of arms" than a semi: Step 1 - Aim at the target, Step 2 - Pull the trigger. No need to teach them how to clear jams...

BTW both revolvers and semis can fail, just in different ways. Over a lifetime of shooting, almost every semi that I've owned jammed at some point, but only two revolvers ever locked up.

(3) A (good) DA revolver with a L-O-N-G heavy trigger pull can be safer in a "high-stress" situation than a semi. My 340 PD has a "panic-proof" trigger that is 2-3X heavier than any of my semis, but still manages to be completely transparent. When I want to go fast, it goes fast, but it'll never go off by accident. For me, that's my SHTF gun. My semis are just range toys. (BTW DA/SA semis are an abomination!)

(4) Revolvers are better for specialized applications like hunting or long-range shooting (with or without a scope). I used to knock down 55-lb steel rams at 200m (220 yds) using a 6-inch 686 that was bone stock except for a trigger job. Try doing that with a Glock... 🙃

So, get yourself a wheelgun and have some fun!

Lefty
 
I asked for a justification but so far it’s crickets. I’m getting “John Moses Browning had it right and anything after that is devolution” sort of vibes…
ironically Browning also designed the Hi Power. Rejecting the most popular and practical weapons and calibers is pretty stupid though
 
Hmm if you actually have to use it for self defense a $5,000 firearm locked up in Evidence for ever or a $900 one locked up ?
First, should somebody attack me in my house, I would not use the $5000 Freedom Arms to defend myself. I would use the Glock. Because it is much more suitable for the job. I would also not use any 22LR revolver, or super-light 38sp revolver designed for concealment.

Second, if this was a good shoot, I'll get whatever gun I used back a few months later. I have enough guns (including enough nice ones) that missing one $5000 revolver for a few months won't crimp my style.

Third, if it was not a good shoot (or is dubious), then I really don't worry about the cost of the revolver. Because in that case I'll spend $100K on a good criminal defense attorney, or go to jail for a few decades.

I think you are looking at defensive use of firearms wrong. My home defense gun is always being used for defense, not actively but passively.
I have way more than one gun. Some are very usable for home defense. Others are not suitable at all. Whether a revolver is suitable for that or not is an interesting question (I think a good pistol is usually preferable). But once I have one good home defense gun, nothing stops me from having a few more for other purposes. Such as hunting, fun at the range (and that includes the 100 yard range), concealed carry, or just to enjoy having around.

I think one can summarize this as follows: If someone has only one gun, it should probably not be a revolver. But I don't think that's a situation terribly many people find themselves in.
 
Some people have trouble actuating the slide. For example, aircrews in the USAF qualify on a S&W 38 because if you’re an aviation accident, you may not be able to have both hands available. Actuating a slide with the bottom of your boot may not be an option. Revolvers are essentially always loaded. When I worked as a RSO for many years I encountered many who were clearly influenced by their local gun store, and had no idea why they had what they had.

Dan
 
For me it's just simplicity and reliability and my Ruger LCR .327 is perfect for CCW and EDC
 
I just like revolvers. Literally all of my gun purchases have been for entertainment purposes, either because I just like the gun (typically old or obscure) or because it looked like fun to shoot. My revolver want list right now is a Colt Fitz Special, a 1917 and a Webley, or Enfield.
 
An aluminum pocket J frame is super light. Only five bullets but can get full of pocket lint and nonsense and works fine.

I have a smallish 5 shot 44 magnum 3 inch L frame. I’m not gonna say it’s better than a Glock 29, because the Glocks good and light. But as a dude who lives very rural in the mountains where this argument happens all the time I can at least say you have to buy boutique, extremely expensive, and hard to come by 10mm ammo to approach the normal horsepower of a 44 mag when they’re both launched out of the same length tubes.

Besides that I still prefer an auto pistol. Like I always use an auto at work.
 
Also, I’m so dumb I forgot this, as someone else pointed out above when in season you can carry your revolver with a snake shot round set up to be first on deck. And it’s not gonna cause a malfunction or anything.
 
I’ve never owned a revolver, but looking at the recent “new wheel gun recommendations” thread made me ask myself if there’s any compelling reason to get one. I think some of them look pretty cool but honest question for all you revolver guys, is there any practical reason you’d want one over an equivalent sized/caliber modern semi auto?

A couple of potential reasons I can think of, but not sure if they’re valid (or applicable to me):

1. More reliable: This is the trope that usually gets spouted first; that revolvers are more reliable than semis and therefore a better choice for carry/HD/etc. Is this even true anymore? Maybe against a finicky old 1911 with the wrong mags with bent feed lips, but nowadays it’s not uncommon to be able to pick out any one of the top 5 handguns under a given LGS counter and have every one of them be dead reliable OTB. I am 100% confident in several of my semi autos: p365, DWXc, G19, and CZ75 all have thousands of rounds now without a hiccup (the DWX is only 2-3 weeks old for me but at ~2k rds now I think I can call it early). First off, DO revolvers ever have any issues with the wheel cycling or unlocking/locking during reload etc? Are they really more reliable than a good modern (and tested/verified) semi? I get that there may be some uncertainty with a new semi OTB, so there is a test window to confirm reliability, but if your gun has 1000+ rds with no malfunction what’s the functional difference?
No, they are not. They are less reliable in DIFFERENT situations. As Chuck Haggard said: "If you think revolvers are more reliable, you have never run a police shooting line."


2. Snub nose revolvers are easier to conceal: I have no experience here, but compared to something like a p365/hellcat or even a LCP on the tiny end, are small hammerless revolvers easier to conceal or pocket carry?

No, I find the cylinder prints and requires a rag bloused around the pocket holster. You need to choose an airweight gun to make that work well, but then you have to shoot the gun at some point and it's mostly annoying and useless. That takes you to the S&W 640, which is all steel and shoots a bit better due to the weight. But, it makes your pocket move like it has a gun in it, so that doesn't work. In short, snubbies suck and you shouldn't bother with them. The only exception to snubbies is William Jordan, who thought that a snubby in 22 Magnum with an eight shot cylinder was a good defensive revolver. All the old timers state that 4" is the shortest barrel you should bother with, 5" is really good and still concealable, and 6" is excellent for performance. However, 6" guns start becoming front heavy and hard to carry around.

I will tell you now: get a 4" or 6" gun, 5" if you can find it. For example, I have a 629 4" and 3". The 4" is great for shooting 44 Magnums (Federal American Eagle 240 grain SJSP at 1,240 FPS). The 44A out of that 629 3" is terrible and the gun is only good for hot 44 Special or 44 Magnum downloaded to 1,000-1,050 FPS.

Start reading:

"No Second Place Winner" by William Jordan
"Guns, Bullets and Gunfights" by James Cirillo
"Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" by Ed McGivern
"The Gun Digest Book of the Revolver" by Grant Cunningham

There are others but these are enough to get you educated.

3. Available in higher power calibers like .357/.44mag: This is one I could see the benefit of; maybe if you needed a gun to carry in the woods in case of bear (or certain hunting scenarios), there’s the use case. But is it really better than say a good 10mm auto?

Magnum calibers are the reason to own a revolver. If you want a snubby in 38 Special, then you're better served by a Glock 43 or SIG P365 (or similar). You can get the Ruger LCR in 9mm, but the 1 7/8" barrel compromises the ballistics. It's not worth it.

4. Cool factor: there is some historical significance to the designs, and they make you feel like John Wayne. This might be the only thing drawing me to a revolver for my next purchase lol and definitely makes me wanna shoot one since somehow I NEVER have (anyone in Sac wanna go shooting and trade guns for a range session?).

Sure, that's legit.

Potential pitfalls:

-lower ammo capacity (obvious).

The lower capacity argument usually involves ignoring the shooting part of the encounter. If you're using magnums, then capacity is not a primary consideration.

-again, I’ve never shot a revolver but it SEEMS like the way the grips are angled it would be much harder to get a good grip high up on the bore axis, and you have to tuck your thumbs to keep them off the wheel and keep them from getting barbecued. It seems like it’d be harder to shoot them well for this reason (school me if I’m wrong).

Stocks can be made to fit any hand. You can shoot thumbs forward so long as your thumb does not extend past the cylinder.

So let me know how wrong I am on the above. What are the reasons you like revolvers and when would you pick one up over an equivalent semi? If I were to get one it’d probably be a .22lr for plinking OR a .44mag for the power/cool factor. Maybe a .357/.38 is more practical and versatile but what’s the fun in that

I choose 44 Magnum for the performance. The flash, bang, and recoil are just fun side effects. 357 Magnum is wimpy and useless. There is no point when 41 and 44 Magnum exist. If you're just going to have 6-8 rounds, they may as well be big ;)

I actually love 357 Magnum and go read "No Second Place Winner" by William Jordan to learn all about it. A six shot S&W Model 19 4" is an excellent gun, as are the eight shot 357's. The S&W 327 TRR8 or M&P R8 is an eight shot gun with 5" barrel. It has a tensioned barrel (which gives some people heart attacks) that is really accurate. I see a distinct accuracy advantage to the 5" barrel over 3", 3.5", and 4" guns.
 
Last edited:
(2) (Most) revolvers have a simpler "manual of arms" than a semi: Step 1 - Aim at the target, Step 2 - Pull the trigger. No need to teach them how to clear jams...

This is wrong. Don't fall for it.

The reloading sequence is complicated and long. It's anything but "a simpler manual of arms". Ed McGivern goes over mastering the double action trigger and it takes a lot of time to achieve proficiency. You still need to know how to handle jams and keep tools in your back in case one happens. Revolvers are not trouble-free.

Fortunately, S&W makes the 617 and you can shoot thousands of rounds of 22 Long Rifle through it to get accustomed to the trigger. You'll still have to learn to deal with recoil; you cannot get really good with a 617 and jump to a 686 in 357 and expect the same results. I did this in the second Obama Ammo Draught (I had buckets of 22 and only 100-150 rounds of 357 Magnum at the time) and immediately had to go into 357 Magnum rehab.
 
Sometimes I carry a S&W 36. Smaller, easier to conceal, lightweight, very reliable, simplicity. Also like an “outdated” old school muscle car. Nostalgia, timeless, classy, and just cool.
 
I think for most people revolvers have the cool cylinder mechanism, historical relevance, and macho magnum rounds. I think they are awesome. I like to goldilocks when I can so I have the S&W 340PD, S&W 681, and Colt Kokiak. I finally had the opportunity to run all three at the range recently. The 681 and Kodiak triggers move smooth like oiled glass. I was very disappointed with the 340PD - felt like a 2-stage trigger on a 12 lbs trigger. Although capable, I would likely never go 357 in the 340PD. The 681 takes both 38 and 357 comfortably. The Kodiak had hot 44 mag rounds but a 44+P might be more my thing.

To answer your "practical reason" question directly: try a buttery smooth revolver trigger with the hammer cocked (SA) and about 1.5 lbs pull to bang. If you get it, you get it.
 
As a private investigator the reason I kept my smith and Wesson revolver is so that I can be a hard boiled 1940’s PI and tell people the streets ain’t what they used to be kid

That’s basically the only reason to have a revolver
You definitely need a Colt Detective Special and fedora in your life.
 
Get one cause you want one not for practical purposes. I love mine but again its for fun mainly and also could be a good camp gun

Besides “reliablility” I reckon with $800 spent on training and ammo rather than the revolver your skills would make you “reliable” with your current pistol

So again! Get it cause you think its cool and want to shoot it not cause it is practical
 
I’ve never owned a revolver, but looking at the recent “new wheel gun recommendations” thread made me ask myself if there’s any compelling reason to get one. I think some of them look pretty cool but honest question for all you revolver guys, is there any practical reason you’d want one over an equivalent sized/caliber modern semi auto?

A couple of potential reasons I can think of, but not sure if they’re valid (or applicable to me):

1. More reliable: This is the trope that usually gets spouted first; that revolvers are more reliable than semis and therefore a better choice for carry/HD/etc. Is this even true anymore? Maybe against a finicky old 1911 with the wrong mags with bent feed lips, but nowadays it’s not uncommon to be able to pick out any one of the top 5 handguns under a given LGS counter and have every one of them be dead reliable OTB. I am 100% confident in several of my semi autos: p365, DWXc, G19, and CZ75 all have thousands of rounds now without a hiccup (the DWX is only 2-3 weeks old for me but at ~2k rds now I think I can call it early). First off, DO revolvers ever have any issues with the wheel cycling or unlocking/locking during reload etc? Are they really more reliable than a good modern (and tested/verified) semi? I get that there may be some uncertainty with a new semi OTB, so there is a test window to confirm reliability, but if your gun has 1000+ rds with no malfunction what’s the functional difference?

2. Snub nose revolvers are easier to conceal: I have no experience here, but compared to something like a p365/hellcat or even a LCP on the tiny end, are small hammerless revolvers easier to conceal or pocket carry?

3. Available in higher power calibers like .357/.44mag: This is one I could see the benefit of; maybe if you needed a gun to carry in the woods in case of bear (or certain hunting scenarios), there’s the use case. But is it really better than say a good 10mm auto?

4. Cool factor: there is some historical significance to the designs, and they make you feel like John Wayne. This might be the only thing drawing me to a revolver for my next purchase lol and definitely makes me wanna shoot one since somehow I NEVER have (anyone in Sac wanna go shooting and trade guns for a range session?).

Potential pitfalls:

-lower ammo capacity (obvious).
-again, I’ve never shot a revolver but it SEEMS like the way the grips are angled it would be much harder to get a good grip high up on the bore axis, and you have to tuck your thumbs to keep them off the wheel and keep them from getting barbecued. It seems like it’d be harder to shoot them well for this reason (school me if I’m wrong).

So let me know how wrong I am on the above. What are the reasons you like revolvers and when would you pick one up over an equivalent semi? If I were to get one it’d probably be a .22lr for plinking OR a .44mag for the power/cool factor. Maybe a .357/.38 is more practical and versatile but what’s the fun in that
I learned to shoot handguns with a revolver because that’s what my dad likes.

For years, my only handgun was an old S&W Model 15 (bought used, when I was 21, because it’s identical to the Model 19 I’d learned on and was in my salad days budget).

The CCW piece I carry most is a new Airweight J-frame with Performance Center trigger job. The DA pull is smoother than a Billie D. Williams beer ad (but not as good as my 1960s Model 15). I prefer that trigger feel to any striker fired pistol I’ve ever handled, although some high end DA/SA pistols I’ve handled come close.

In short, I’m an unapologetic revolver guy. That said, I agree with the OP’s assessments with two additional points.

First, revolvers can been a good choice for those with limited hand strength and/or dexterity such as many elderly folks, people with arthritis, some women, etc., for whom racking a slide can be difficult. Beretta tip up designs are good for the same reason, but only come in small calibers.

Second, I would trust most any revolver to sit unused and ignored in a drawer for years, or even decades, but still function in a crisis. I’m not sure I’d trust an autoloader to do that because oil degrades over time and can problems in an automatic action. Perhaps this isn’t the case with modern polymer pistols? I frankly don’t know because plastic guns aren’t in my wheelhouse.
 
You definitely need a Colt Detective Special and fedora in your life.
I saw a Sac PD detective with a black trench coat once lol. Okay, I meet you at the smoky filled office to discuss the new missing person case, and you hand me the Colt whle saying "these streets ain't what they used to be kid"
 
My Colt DS was on the clearance rack in the early 90s, as I remember it was about $215 OTD and the salesman was happy to get rid of it.

I keep a 3” SS Taurus .38 on my CCW for snakeshot when we camp. I’m a little reluctant to use it for carrying, but only because of reputation, it’s got 300-400 rounds and it’s been 100% reliable, and it’s a very nice shooter for what it is. Like everything I’ve bought in the last decade, it needed a good cleaning, plus a little polishing and a $20 spring kit has it working great.

Revolvers are just cool. You don’t really “need” one, but you should have several.
 
For years, my only handgun was an old S&W Model 15 (bought used, when I was 21, because it’s identical to the Model 19 I’d learned on and was in my salad days budget).
Hard to go wrong with a Model 15. This one is a -3, still has the factory overtravel stop and a set of Culina walnut grips.
 

Attachments

  • 1000051740.webp
    1000051740.webp
    115.5 KB · Views: 15
I’ve never owned a revolver, but looking at the recent “new wheel gun recommendations” thread made me ask myself if there’s any compelling reason to get one. I think some of them look pretty cool but honest question for all you revolver guys, is there any practical reason you’d want one over an equivalent sized/caliber modern semi auto?

A couple of potential reasons I can think of, but not sure if they’re valid (or applicable to me):

1. More reliable: This is the trope that usually gets spouted first; that revolvers are more reliable than semis and therefore a better choice for carry/HD/etc. Is this even true anymore? Maybe against a finicky old 1911 with the wrong mags with bent feed lips, but nowadays it’s not uncommon to be able to pick out any one of the top 5 handguns under a given LGS counter and have every one of them be dead reliable OTB. I am 100% confident in several of my semi autos: p365, DWXc, G19, and CZ75 all have thousands of rounds now without a hiccup (the DWX is only 2-3 weeks old for me but at ~2k rds now I think I can call it early). First off, DO revolvers ever have any issues with the wheel cycling or unlocking/locking during reload etc? Are they really more reliable than a good modern (and tested/verified) semi? I get that there may be some uncertainty with a new semi OTB, so there is a test window to confirm reliability, but if your gun has 1000+ rds with no malfunction what’s the functional difference?

2. Snub nose revolvers are easier to conceal: I have no experience here, but compared to something like a p365/hellcat or even a LCP on the tiny end, are small hammerless revolvers easier to conceal or pocket carry?

3. Available in higher power calibers like .357/.44mag: This is one I could see the benefit of; maybe if you needed a gun to carry in the woods in case of bear (or certain hunting scenarios), there’s the use case. But is it really better than say a good 10mm auto?

4. Cool factor: there is some historical significance to the designs, and they make you feel like John Wayne. This might be the only thing drawing me to a revolver for my next purchase lol and definitely makes me wanna shoot one since somehow I NEVER have (anyone in Sac wanna go shooting and trade guns for a range session?).

Potential pitfalls:

-lower ammo capacity (obvious).
-again, I’ve never shot a revolver but it SEEMS like the way the grips are angled it would be much harder to get a good grip high up on the bore axis, and you have to tuck your thumbs to keep them off the wheel and keep them from getting barbecued. It seems like it’d be harder to shoot them well for this reason (school me if I’m wrong).

So let me know how wrong I am on the above. What are the reasons you like revolvers and when would you pick one up over an equivalent semi? If I were to get one it’d probably be a .22lr for plinking OR a .44mag for the power/cool factor. Maybe a .357/.38 is more practical and versatile but what’s the fun in that
No casings left behind after you fire are another benefit of revolvers.
 
Back
Top Bottom