By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
I agree. Where is the Off Topic hangout?I used the OT the most at Calguns for the past few years will there be one here as well?
The site owner has pretty much said that any sort of “off topic” will be limited to certain current events, and not much like the old failed site Calguns had. There was some banter about it in the recent past.I agree. Where is the Off Topic hangout?
It's the younger audience that doesn't want the OT section and the "older" folks who want to have a section to hang out.
Actually I think the OT was a loss leader for Calguns and brought in a lot of traffic. I would go there just to read the OT threads and got a lot of useful info along with the belly laughs. I also got an eyeful of popups and advertising along the way.I guess, would you guys be interested in paying for an OT section, to cover the resources used?
I get some donations from subscriptions for the site which a lot of people like to support the marketplace and advertisers for the forum. I know some supporters are for it, but throwing this out there since Calguns is still not working and it doesn't look like the owner has been around for a month. I spend a bit on hosting the site with all the advanced features and licensing for software + the cost of the hardware. If you cover your share, I'd consider it.
If more supporters, folks who are CA Supporters(subscribers) want this then its more likely to happen in the way I mentioned, opt-in and not open to the public. IMO I think its a mistake for that kind of stuff to be public on the internet. Mainly I want to make sure we have sponsors for what's suggested. In OT over there, the ones who barked the loudest weren't contributing to CGN. Otherwise I focus on other features that people like using. IE. Search here is advanced and pretty expensive. Between that and the Marketplace software, it adds up annually since these are annual licenses.Actually I think the OT was a loss leader for Calguns and brought in a lot of traffic. I would go there just to read the OT threads and got a lot of useful info along with the belly laughs. I also got an eyeful of popups and advertising along the way.
But I can understand your point.
Did you miss the part where it’s opt in? I notice you have very strong opinions and to an extent the opposite side of the same coin. While I understand your concern, i do miss the days of legitimate discourse. I think you assume that I'll let it get to that point where it's like CGN's OT.One of the reasons why I like this site is because there is no off-topic. IMHO off-topic is nothing but a trolls playground attracting the most repulsive and hateful juvenile locker-room rhetoric you can imagine: racism, homophobia, chauvinism, xenophobia. If that is how you want to market this site to others trying to get into the 2A community, well good luck. You're just going to end up with a bunch of curmudgeons bullying everyone under the guise of being tough and masculine, even though they are easily triggered by even the slightest criticism. It's just going to be nothing but drama. Who needs more drama in their lives? I like the idea of keeping this site chill and laid back. Not full of bickering over politics, lifestyles, differences in personal beliefs, or generational perspectives. Or a bunch of circle jerks, whining about millennials, bio labs, the jab, women's rights, virtue signaling, transgenderism, abortions, 10% for the big guy, TDS, Q-anon. Basically, a lot of people who don't even live in CA wanting to burn the world down because they are so unhappy with their lives. I think it would be a shame to allow this site to devolve into that.
I don't agree that I'm the opposite of the same coin. I do value legitimate discourse. But over the years that has proven impossible as more people have really gone off the deep end (MAGA, Qanon, pro-Putin, conspiracy theorists, etc....) Off-topic will just be a lot of drama for you to deal with. See the post above wanting a "safe space" for "mature thick-skinned people." I've observed that those who claim to be "mature" and "thick-skinned" post the most juvenile locker-room content and are instantly enraged if someone calls them out on it. Physiologically, they are probably geriatric, but mentally and emotionally, they are still stuck in middle-school.Did you miss the part where it’s opt in? I notice you have very strong opinions and to an extent the opposite side of the same coin. While I understand your concern, i do miss the days of legitimate discourse. I think you assume that I'll let it get to that point where it's like CGN's OT.
I think there's a good reason to have an OT, IF people can be mature. With Opt-in, we have the option of kicking people out of there if they get out of line. OT would be an extra perk, not a base part of the site.
I personally don't agree with racism/xenophobia/homophobia/chauvinism. I think like many other here, I'm annoyed at both far left & right. I'd like to put this out there for the people who want OT, what's the best way to deal with this aspect? Are you ok with moderation on these topics? I think there's benefits to OT with the diverse knowledge, but we don't want to bring the baggage.
I still think the best case is if we were able to get the Calguns domain. This site could remain as is with the main feature as the marketplace. I'd remove the marketplace from CGN and move it here and combine the logins and keep the forum side there. In many ways the sites need to be split to handle the traffic for each. I'm not kidding that the forum and marketplace take 1/3rd of the traffic each. Having the ability to move or scale each entity individually in crucial for longevity and maintainability.
Again, I'm open to the idea but it needs solid support from the community here and we need to make sure its not net negative to the site.
That’s not for mature thick skinned people then. I agree with the last one though.If there is OT, please make it no holds barred.
Or a subforum of OT that is for mature thick skinned people.
Of course, nothing related to graphic sex, deaths, drugs, -philia topics.
I think like many other here, I'm annoyed at both far left & right. I'd like to put this out there for the people who want OT, what's the best way to deal with this aspect? Are you ok with moderation on these topics? I think there's benefits to OT with the diverse knowledge, but we don't want to bring the baggage.
Did you miss the part where it’s opt in? I notice you have very strong opinions and to an extent the opposite side of the same coin. While I understand your concern, i do miss the days of legitimate discourse. I think you assume that I'll let it get to that point where it's like CGN's OT.
One of the reasons why I like this site is because there is no off-topic. IMHO off-topic is nothing but a trolls playground attracting the most repulsive and hateful juvenile locker-room rhetoric you can imagine: racism, homophobia, chauvinism, xenophobia. If that is how you want to market this site to others trying to get into the 2A community, well good luck. You're just going to end up with a bunch of curmudgeons bullying everyone under the guise of being tough and masculine, even though they are easily triggered by even the slightest criticism. It's just going to be nothing but drama. Who needs more drama in their lives? I like the idea of keeping this site chill and laid back. Not full of bickering over politics, lifestyles, differences in personal beliefs, or generational perspectives. Or a bunch of circle jerks, whining about millennials, bio labs, the jab, women's rights, virtue signaling, transgenderism, abortions, 10% for the big guy, TDS, Q-anon. Basically, a lot of people who don't even live in CA wanting to burn the world down because they are so unhappy with their lives. I think it would be a shame to allow this site to devolve into that.
This is the main and only reason we talked about an OT forum. Talking only about guns can get rather repetitive and dry. If we decided to do it, the benefit of an opt-in format here is you won't see the OT forum unless you have the appropriate permission to view it. We're thinking about leveraging the ghost badge for this purpose.I'm ambivalent. One one hand, I come here for guns. I don't care what you think about Kylie Jenner or the latest X-Box game. On the other hand, sharing personal off topic stuff can build camaraderie among the users. Hearing about your latest hod rod or puppy will solidify relationships. What's best? I certainly don't know.
We actually take in a lot of feedback from users. @ikeo1 and I talk about it but generally speaking those who help support the site financially have a little more say since it does take up more resources. Overall though, it can be ok if done right. We just don't want it to get out of hand, which is why we're thinking opt-in and hidden unless you want to be there. If you FAFO you get the boot for bad attitudes, 1 warning. Don't take the bait kinda thing.Unfortunately, there are users who seem to believe that others on this network ought to care about their opinion. Whether such a user is opining on the prospect of your creating an 'opt-in' and thus, private off-topic (OT) forum, or about the marketplace and the current status of transactions being done on this network.
Will this apply equally between all members or will there be favoritism amongst moderators and members and/or contributing members, etc? That's what Calguns was wrong, as they seem to favor some over others, some might get a warning, some might get outright ban, some might get banned from off topic subforum, and others from site as a whole, it goes on.If you FAFO you get the boot for bad attitudes, 1 warning. Don't take the bait kinda thing.
I think it goes without saying we’re hesitant. FAFO is about as fair as it’s gonna get. You know that saying becareful what you wish for.Will this apply equally between all members or will there be favoritism amongst moderators and members and/or contributing members, etc? That's what Calguns was wrong, as they seem to favor some over others, some might get a warning, some might get outright ban, some might get banned from off topic subforum, and others from site as a whole, it goes on.
That is why I asked about a no holds barred. Where these favoritisms can't play a part.
O k .
I understand the problems connected with the O T sections
The 'ol Cal - Guns forum became less and less about guns
And more just a bunch of chattering teeth
But , how about a section about Current Events ?
I used to get a lot of news and current events from the O. T.