18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Your guns have no value

nobody knows the local market like a local gun shop. Nobody drives FFLs like the local market. Sounds like the local market is deciding to not use that FFL, in return, that FFL has no customers. And another one bites the dust…

My local shop has no firearms on the shelf. Nothing new that has come on the roster. Maybe I’m the only one looking for newly added roster items and expectations are too high.

I’d have to say I agree with the FFL, though. Pistols without optics cuts are no longer valuable to ME. There is a reason every pistol being released now has optics cuts. Hell, I just saw a new S&W revolver get released with guess what…. an optic cut. Private market is your best option at this point
 
So I've been looking at getting rid of some old guns, ones I no longer need, or will never shoot again.

I know we're in the "Trump Slump" (no fear of new federal gun laws, so no demand, causing a market glut and low prices). But it's worse than that.

I brought a bunch of guns into a Petaluma gun store to see if they were interested in any. They weren't. They didn't want any of the pistols, at any cost. The guy said, "They don't have optics cuts, so I couldn't sell any of them." The stupid optics craze on pistols is so prevalent now that guns without them literally have zero value. (Chock up one more reason I fracking hate them.)

Rifles, they'd offer about 10% of their value. (on all but one, which was worth about 40%)

So what about selling to private parties? Well, because this is California we have to do a PPT (private party transfer, at an FFL). And while the state mandates that FFLs do PPTs, they don't let them charge more than $10 for it, so it's a guaranteed money loser for them, as they have to pay an employee to spend at least half an hour doing paperwork. As a result, the gun stores say they do PPTs, but they do everything they can to make you just go the frack away. I asked at a gun store in Petaluma, and the guy said, by appointment only, and on Fridays only, and they are currently booked up more than 2 months out. That's a hard no without saying so. So you can't even give a gun away right now. Crazy.

So that gun collection you were going to leave to your heirs? If they aren't a gun nut like you, it's just a burden, worse than all your other crap that they need to hire a dumpster for. They'll have to bring it all to a police station for destruction. It's a sad state of affairs.

I've heard there are some charities in other states that take guns. I will have to investigate that.
This is why I do all PPTs at 2A Zone. They're fast and accurate and they have rhe sales to support a sufficient number of employees for walk-ins, even on weekends. My local shop only takes weekend appointments and sometimes those get overbooked.

Guns without optic cuts are preferred by some, especially for EDC. An uncut gun can be milled for a buyer's preferred optic, if any, so there's value there.

Guns can also appreciate in value depending on supply and demand, and buyers will pay a premium to avoid a long wait, e.g. Atlas, Platypus, Staccato, etc.

I'm sure there are users here who would pay a premium for a Bodyguard 2.0 or TS2 Orange even with an optic cut.

Consignment is pretty much the worst way to sell a gun unless it's super high value in a high-traffic gun shop, and the seller loses 20-30% off the top. PPT is best for both seller and buyer, IMHO, no state or excise tax.
 
Last edited:
Guns are just property like anything else. Value rises and falls over time depending on trends and demand. 5 years ago we could sell anything that shot a caliber bigger than a rubber band for more than retail. Now, its the opposite. Its not that guns don't have a value, they just isn't a general demand for them right now and buyers want very specific things. If you look at many of the collectible fads that have come and gone over the years, its really not surprising at all. That said, you should never view guns as an investment due to the subjective nature of what makes any particular firearm desireable. It may be a limiteded edition low serial mint condition firearm but the bottom line is if nobody else wants it, its a paperweight to you. I sold several firearms at gun buybacks recently because I got paid more in amazon giftcards than I could have sold them for to people here, there, or anywhere.
 
I'm not interested with anything with an optic cut, what comes to mine is the Tisas raider I seen on here with one. Felt tempted to ask, how much do you want after you "sporterized" it? But I digress. What brings value to you isn't what brings it to me, of course to each his own.
 
Put them on consignment at one of these places.
They have a big following on Gunbroker.
You can ship them to them or they might come pick them up.

https://www.mtmccoyauctions.com/ (Simi Valley, CA)

https://lsbauctions.com/ (Cody, WY I think)

I'm sure there are others, but these 2 have a national following.
I recently sold a couple revolvers at Mt Coy Auctions and it went well. I am in Northern California they picked them up at my home which was convent . They are in Southern California but they come to Northern California about every two weeks.
 
I have only 3 here I the SF Bay Area that will due PPT’s without making you jump through hoops with “only on Fridays, before 3pm, and only after all other customers are helped”.

My last PPT I did at a very small FFL. I wanted to buy something, but didn’t need any of the ammo or supplies he had so I paid my $47 fee with a hundy and said keep the change.
 
I've sold a few pews (less than 6) just in the first month of this year via PPT. Stuff is still selling. None of them were optic cut.

List them here for sale, find a better gun shop to go to for PPT and you'll be all set. If they're off roster, they will still sell!

Lots of folks prefer PPT because you save Sales Tax & "Sin" Tax, nearly a 20% savings in much of the state as well.

As with anything, there's a butt for EVERY seat.
 
Last edited:
For the OP, who was concerned that he would get very little for his collection, 70% of the value (includes a reduction to cover the excise tax) is better than the 10% or less that he mentioned.
In this case the concern over the excise tax is kind of irrelevant.
It may be more relevant (informative) for those that don't know how consignment sales work.

I think the OP decides if its irrelevant; not you, or me. It's information being shared so that the full impact is understood. As you indicate, not everyone knows consignment requires the collection of tax vs PPT.
 
Lot of truth to wait you have stated. Especially when it comes to optics . I'm not on the optics train, yet .
As for ffls , it depends. The places by me are for the most part accommodating for ppts. But I have experienced a few ffls that are not so accommodating.
We as Americans have the right to own as many pews as we want . But I side with your opinion that a large collection can be a burden for the people you leave the collection to.
Bright side ? Great time to buy .
I carried an optic for about a month… then I went to shoot it and couldn’t see through it. Belly lint and sweat. Back to old iron sights for me :)
 
So I've been looking at getting rid of some old guns, ones I no longer need, or will never shoot again.

I know we're in the "Trump Slump" (no fear of new federal gun laws, so no demand, causing a market glut and low prices). But it's worse than that.

I brought a bunch of guns into a Petaluma gun store to see if they were interested in any. They weren't. They didn't want any of the pistols, at any cost. The guy said, "They don't have optics cuts, so I couldn't sell any of them." The stupid optics craze on pistols is so prevalent now that guns without them literally have zero value. (Chock up one more reason I fracking hate them.)

Rifles, they'd offer about 10% of their value. (on all but one, which was worth about 40%)

So what about selling to private parties? Well, because this is California we have to do a PPT (private party transfer, at an FFL). And while the state mandates that FFLs do PPTs, they don't let them charge more than $10 for it, so it's a guaranteed money loser for them, as they have to pay an employee to spend at least half an hour doing paperwork. As a result, the gun stores say they do PPTs, but they do everything they can to make you just go the frack away. I asked at a gun store in Petaluma, and the guy said, by appointment only, and on Fridays only, and they are currently booked up more than 2 months out. That's a hard no without saying so. So you can't even give a gun away right now. Crazy.

So that gun collection you were going to leave to your heirs? If they aren't a gun nut like you, it's just a burden, worse than all your other crap that they need to hire a dumpster for. They'll have to bring it all to a police station for destruction. It's a sad state of affairs.

I've heard there are some charities in other states that take guns. I will have to investigate that.
I have 3 kids and so many nieces and nephews that will never be a problem. That being said I’ll take your guns for free and pay all the transfer fees lol I’ve never sold a gun and doubt I will.
 
This is why I do all PPTs at 2A Zone. They're fast and accurate and they have rhe sales to support a sufficient number of employees for walk-ins, even on weekends. My local shop only takes weekend appointments and sometimes those get overbooked.

Guns without optic cuts are preferred by some, especially for EDC. An uncut gun can be milled for a buyer's preferred optic, if any, so there's value there.

Guns can also appreciate in value depending on supply and demand, and buyers will pay a premium to avoid a long wait, e.g. Atlas, Platypus, Staccato, etc.

I'm sure there are users here who would pay a premium for a Bodyguard 2.0 or TS2 Orange even with an optic cut.

Consignment is pretty much the worst way to sell a gun unless it's super high value in a high-traffic gun shop, and the seller loses 20-30% off the top. PPT is best for both seller and buyer, IMHO, no state or excise tax.
Yup 2A is great, fast, and accommodating 👍
 
My LGS does PPTs M-Thur on a first come first serve basis and was very helpful with selling my firearm. Sounds like a LGS issue. I was lucky that there’s multiple stores located around me so I got to shop around and ran into the type of stores that you ran into. Might be worth the trip so go a little further out and see what’s other stores that will be willing to help you out.
 
It's funny, a guy at my club offered me some gen 4 glocks at top of the reasonable end.

I was very tempted, but since they're non MOS, I ended up passing. I have no intention of getting rid of current non optic guns, but I don't see myself buying guns that aren't optics ready, unless it's something special.
 
The optics crap is grossly overrated!! It’s funny that people will actually put in their post that their pistol is optics ready. I just recently purchased a pistol that was sold with the optics already mounted. I took the optics off and I couldn’t be happier. The optics add bulk and a sense of false security. Train with iron sights and train hard.

As to the ability to sell your firearms. I have observed the same trend in San Diego. The economy is pinching people’s wallets. After you have purchased your home defense firearm collection. The additional firearms that you purchase are luxury not necessity. Most folks are utilizing their “luxury” money for survival. Your firearms must be hot items that people really desire, otherwise the shops will just sit on money.

As for ppt is San Diego. There are shops that don’t want to do ppt. I get it. You’re operating a business and your in it for the money. The way I see it. It’s a contract between the State and FFL license holder. If you don’t like the contract or don’t agree with the rules of the contract. Stop your motherless 🐐ing, follow suit or get out of the business. Why punish your customers for something that you have already agreed upon. It’s like getting married and then you tell your wife that it sucks that you can’t have multiple women and be married. Are you kidding me!!
 
IMO optics are overrated.none on my handguns and I can still slam the steel easily and quickly.

My ccw gun is open sighted. One less thing to worry about battery’s isn’t in is it still zeroed etc.

But if you want one get one. Just not for me on handgun. I do run one one my ars and pretty much do to vision. Rear sight close to my eye gets blurred out. Front sight and target fairly clear.
 
Back
Top Bottom