18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Your guns have no value

Lots of comments on optics being irons vs red dots. To me, the validation that red dots are meaningful is seeing them on practically every LEO sidearm - that is a life & death decision that validates that they are not trivial or unnecessary.
Optics aren't "necessary" but they work better in every way with almost no downside.
 
The optics crap is grossly overrated!! It’s funny that people will actually put in their post that their pistol is optics ready. I just recently purchased a pistol that was sold with the optics already mounted. I took the optics off and I couldn’t be happier. The optics add bulk and a sense of false security. Train with iron sights and train hard.

As to the ability to sell your firearms. I have observed the same trend in San Diego. The economy is pinching people’s wallets. After you have purchased your home defense firearm collection. The additional firearms that you purchase are luxury not necessity. Most folks are utilizing their “luxury” money for survival. Your firearms must be hot items that people really desire, otherwise the shops will just sit on money.

As for ppt is San Diego. There are shops that don’t want to do ppt. I get it. You’re operating a business and your in it for the money. The way I see it. It’s a contract between the State and FFL license holder. If you don’t like the contract or don’t agree with the rules of the contract. Stop your motherless 🐐ing, follow suit or get out of the business. Why punish your customers for something that you have already agreed upon. It’s like getting married and then you tell your wife that it sucks that you can’t have multiple women and be married. Are you kidding me!!
Eh. Optics on a pistol, without a doubt, are faster for target aquisition if one trains with them. But skill with irons is still very important.

My luxury funds go towards luxury. If I was on a survival budget I'd be packing around a high point. Instead, I'm currently on the other side of the country waiting for my flight, with a checked hard case full of new to me guns. Lawfully acquired and transferred, since that's likely to get people here PMing and posting about lawbreakers and such. 🤣

I won't spend money at shops that do shady 💩. I'd rather pay more at a shop that has good customer service over saving s few dollars to be treated like crap. Not enough people vote with their dollars though.
 
I never understood the people who stand so firmly on using only irons or optics. I like and use both. I believe they both serve their purpose for certain needs. Not to mention it’s fun to challenge yourself with both.
 
I never understood the people who stand so firmly on using only irons or optics. I like and use both. I believe they both serve their purpose for certain needs. Not to mention it’s fun to challenge yourself with both.

For sure, irons are fine and if you train enough you can get fast and accurate. Red dots are just easier due to the nature of a single dot versus having to align the front sight with the rear.

Can someone be faster and shoot better with irons than someone with a red dotwith less training, sure but a person will most certainly be faster with a red dot with the proper amount of training versus irons.

There definitely is a learning curve with dots coming from irons which I think can discourage some to say dots aren’t worth it.
 
OP needs a better FFL. Used gun prices in CA have definitely not decreased. Granted the caguns marketplace may not be the best barometer because most of the listings look like they are wildly over priced. But I guarantee if you post something at a reasonable or firesale price it will sell fast. The trick is you have to price it so that it is an offer that cant be refused. People wanting top dollar for their used gun are almost never going to get it.

Once microstamping comes back in 2028 and Dems have effectively banned all new semiauto handgun sales including all the guns on the roster. The PPT channel will be the only way to buy a semiautohandgun in CA. Used guns will be worth even more.

If you have any handguns you are thinking about selling just wait until 2028 to sell. Get ready for the $5k gen 3 Glock 19.
 
Last edited:
The only time I’ve ever had an issue with a PPT was going into a Turner’s too late in the day. Aside from that it’s never been an issue. But as with anything in life, don’t buy stuff you can’t afford to sit on. If you think there’s a slump in values to guns, well now’s your chance to add to the collection if you wanted something lol
 
OP needs a better FFL. Used gun prices in CA have definitely not decreased. Granted the caguns marketplace may not be the best barometer because most of the listings look like they are wildly over priced. But I guarantee if you post something at a reasonable or firesale price it will sell fast. The trick is you have to price it so that it is an offer that cant be refused. People wanting top dollar for their used gun are almost never going to get it.

Once microstamping comes back in 2028 and Dems have effectively banned all new semiauto handgun sales including all the guns on the roster. The PPT channel will be the only way to buy a semiautohandgun in CA. Used guns will be worth even more.

If you have any handguns you are thinking about selling just wait until 2028 to sell. Get ready for the $5k gen 3 Glock 19.


Agreed on the pricing, I sold a Staccato CS last year in about an hour. Definitely priced a little low but I’d rather sale versus waiting out for top dollar.
 
Shields, ruger semi autos, and keltecs are a bit less than desirable on the secondhand market. Even the old school ruger P series that you've seen in movies only go for a couple hundred bucks at PPT.

I regret some of my first purchase decisions, like my shield 40. Too snappy, little to no resale value, overall undesirable to any shop.
 
Shields, ruger semi autos, and keltecs are a bit less than desirable on the secondhand market. Even the old school ruger P series that you've seen in movies only go for a couple hundred bucks at PPT.

I regret some of my first purchase decisions, like my shield 40. Too snappy, little to no resale value, overall undesirable to any shop.
Spot on!! The 40 platform is slowly dying off.
 
It seems there is solid saturation throughout the (private) used gun market. Technology has seen a huge leap forward in the past few years.
People love the new stuff. There are few aficionados for traditional handguns

His LGS seems to have issues though. In all the years I buy/sell PPT I have never seen one location who gave me a fuzz over it.

Now as far as pricing goes, it appears to me that "reasonable" has already slipped into "low ball" territory. Most of us know what their guns are worth.
As a potential buyer, if I don't like the price tag, I don't even bother.

Taxation in our beloved state of CA screws with re-sell value. You know you're not getting the paid taxes back. So they are clinching on to the highest possible price for their guns. For buyers just saving on tax is not enough. Everybody wants a bargain.
 
Shields, ruger semi autos, and keltecs are a bit less than desirable on the secondhand market. Even the old school ruger P series that you've seen in movies only go for a couple hundred bucks at PPT.

I regret some of my first purchase decisions, like my shield 40. Too snappy, little to no resale value, overall undesirable to any shop.

The shield in .40 was my least favorite gun I’ve ever purchased. Shield in 9mm was great.
 
The only guns in 40 that I have are all LE trade ins that use the same frame as the 9mm models (P229, P226 and Glock 22). And I got them all for the price of the frame ($300-$400). I dont even think anyone even shoots 40 in competition anymore. So basically guns in 40 are only worth what their frame is worth and only if the frame is the same as a 9mm frame. 40 cal guns that arent convertible are basically worthless as far as anyone willing to pay anything for them.
 
Last edited:
In my eyes there is 9mm and .45acp. .38/.357 gets a pass because revolver and lever guns :)
 
The key with PPTs is to spend a little bit of money in the store so the store's revenue is not only $10 from the PPT. If I am the buyer I make a point of purchasing some supplies or ammo for the PPT gun. I am yet to be a seller but I would spend some money as the seller as well. The whole PPT thing sucks for everyone but the LGS stores or more likely to gladly do PPTs if they know customers will likely spend more than just the DROS fees there.
 
Back
Top Bottom