18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Your guns have no value

The key with PPTs is to spend a little bit of money in the store so the store's revenue is not only $10 from the PPT. If I am the buyer I make a point of purchasing some supplies or ammo for the PPT gun. I am yet to be a seller but I would spend some money as the seller as well. The whole PPT thing sucks for everyone but the LGS stores or more likely to gladly do PPTs if they know customers will likely spend more than just the DROS fees there.
10 bucks is 10 bucks it’s their job. It’s not our fault we have to do ppt. They knew the business when they wanted to be an ffl. With this sin tax I’m only buying ppt now.
 
The key with PPTs is to spend a little bit of money in the store so the store's revenue is not only $10 from the PPT. If I am the buyer I make a point of purchasing some supplies or ammo for the PPT gun. I am yet to be a seller but I would spend some money as the seller as well. The whole PPT thing sucks for everyone but the LGS stores or more likely to gladly do PPTs if they know customers will likely spend more than just the DROS fees there.
Conversely, a store which engages in shady PPT practices or which disincentivizes PPTs gets zero of my business and a bad review on sites like this one, or on Google Reviews or Yelp.

PPTs are a cost of doing business for an FFL, but good PPT practices build goodwill and favorable reviews and recommendations.

Customers who are fans of an FFL's PPT service will bring new people to that FFL, and so it goes.
 
Last edited:
Multiple things at play today than just few years ago.
- 2011's have dampened the market for 1911's
- Red dot capable is expected just for resale value (whether you use them or not)
- Roster has expanded, lot more new options, so nobody wants the same old stuff anymore.
 
So I've been looking at getting rid of some old guns, ones I no longer need, or will never shoot again.

I know we're in the "Trump Slump" (no fear of new federal gun laws, so no demand, causing a market glut and low prices). But it's worse than that.

I brought a bunch of guns into a Petaluma gun store to see if they were interested in any. They weren't. They didn't want any of the pistols, at any cost. The guy said, "They don't have optics cuts, so I couldn't sell any of them." The stupid optics craze on pistols is so prevalent now that guns without them literally have zero value. (Chock up one more reason I fracking hate them.)

Rifles, they'd offer about 10% of their value. (on all but one, which was worth about 40%)

So what about selling to private parties? Well, because this is California we have to do a PPT (private party transfer, at an FFL). And while the state mandates that FFLs do PPTs, they don't let them charge more than $10 for it, so it's a guaranteed money loser for them, as they have to pay an employee to spend at least half an hour doing paperwork. As a result, the gun stores say they do PPTs, but they do everything they can to make you just go the frack away. I asked at a gun store in Petaluma, and the guy said, by appointment only, and on Fridays only, and they are currently booked up more than 2 months out. That's a hard no without saying so. So you can't even give a gun away right now. Crazy.

So that gun collection you were going to leave to your heirs? If they aren't a gun nut like you, it's just a burden, worse than all your other crap that they need to hire a dumpster for. They'll have to bring it all to a police station for destruction. It's a sad state of affairs.

I've heard there are some charities in other states that take guns. I will have to investigate that.
Most firearms are going to depreciate in value, unless there are some special edition or rarity in them. I know plenty of stores that can PPT same day and you also have the option to consign your guns to shops. I wouldn’t lose hope, but the value of the guns is determined by the quality of firearm you bought and its rarity particularly in California. I buy a lot off Cagun.net but not just the run of the mill glocks for 10% off the new price.
 
10 bucks is 10 bucks it’s their job. It’s not our fault we have to do ppt. They knew the business when they wanted to be an ffl. With this sin tax I’m only buying ppt now.
I get the sentiment but the less profitable an activity is for a business the less likely that business is to engage in it. PPTs are no different and gun stores are no different.
 
Peninsula Guns in San Bruno will do a PPT. Make the appointment (about a month out) and they will get it done. The store sucks, but you will get it done.
 
I brought a bunch of guns into a Petaluma gun store to see if they were interested in any. They weren't. They didn't want any of the pistols, at any cost. The guy said, "They don't have optics cuts, so I couldn't sell any of them." The stupid optics craze on pistols is so prevalent now that guns without them literally have zero value. (Chock up one more reason I fracking hate them.)

As a result, the gun stores say they do PPTs, but they do everything they can to make you just go the frack away. I asked at a gun store in Petaluma, and the guy said, by appointment only, and on Fridays only, and they are currently booked up more than 2 months out. That's a hard no without saying so. So you can't even give a gun away right now. Crazy.
Please name and shame them and leave a bad review on their FFL page here. https://caguns.net/ffls/

This is an awful store that doesn't deserve any of our business. Well run and well reviewed stores here don't give anyone flak for PPTs because they get people in the door to look at new pistols, other consignments, etc. You're further up north than I generally go, so I can't recommend a specific store, but 29 Outdoor Gear in American Canyon a little east of you is good.



Regarding red dots, plenty of people still shoot irons, and some people who want to put red dots on guns prefer milling slides instead of getting optic ready slides because you can get tighter tolerances. Regardless of what you want it for, there's plenty of value in older pistols, this just sounds like an anti-consumer store.
 
Old West Gun Room in El Cerrrito and Elite Armory in Tracy and Castro Valley are good. OWGR does require an appointment and EA requires an appointment for the weekends.
 
I get excited when I see a used gun without an optics cut and light rail for the reason you mentioned, they aren’t as popular. It’s a way to save some money. I still kick myself for not wanting to drive 400 miles to buy a P229 in .357 Sig for $550. Only reason likely that cheap was no rail or optics capability.
 
Last edited:
So I've been looking at getting rid of some old guns, ones I no longer need, or will never shoot again.

I know we're in the "Trump Slump" (no fear of new federal gun laws, so no demand, causing a market glut and low prices). But it's worse than that.

I brought a bunch of guns into a Petaluma gun store to see if they were interested in any. They weren't. They didn't want any of the pistols, at any cost. The guy said, "They don't have optics cuts, so I couldn't sell any of them." The stupid optics craze on pistols is so prevalent now that guns without them literally have zero value. (Chock up one more reason I fracking hate them.)

Rifles, they'd offer about 10% of their value. (on all but one, which was worth about 40%)

So what about selling to private parties? Well, because this is California we have to do a PPT (private party transfer, at an FFL). And while the state mandates that FFLs do PPTs, they don't let them charge more than $10 for it, so it's a guaranteed money loser for them, as they have to pay an employee to spend at least half an hour doing paperwork. As a result, the gun stores say they do PPTs, but they do everything they can to make you just go the frack away. I asked at a gun store in Petaluma, and the guy said, by appointment only, and on Fridays only, and they are currently booked up more than 2 months out. That's a hard no without saying so. So you can't even give a gun away right now. Crazy.

So that gun collection you were going to leave to your heirs? If they aren't a gun nut like you, it's just a burden, worse than all your other crap that they need to hire a dumpster for. They'll have to bring it all to a police station for destruction. It's a sad state of affairs.

I've heard there are some charities in other states that take guns. I will have to investigate that.
Doesn't seem to be the case in my area (SF Valley-Burbank) consignment guns sell pretty quickly. I've seen some German SIGs being sold easily for 1200 recently, old school guns. A Makarov which I almost bought got sold the next day, and I regret not buying it. I personally go after the older all metal pistols, and I'm sure there are a lot of guys like me who like old school stuff.
 
So I've been looking at getting rid of some old guns, ones I no longer need, or will never shoot again.

I know we're in the "Trump Slump" (no fear of new federal gun laws, so no demand, causing a market glut and low prices). But it's worse than that.

I brought a bunch of guns into a Petaluma gun store to see if they were interested in any. They weren't. They didn't want any of the pistols, at any cost. The guy said, "They don't have optics cuts, so I couldn't sell any of them." The stupid optics craze on pistols is so prevalent now that guns without them literally have zero value. (Chock up one more reason I fracking hate them.)

Rifles, they'd offer about 10% of their value. (on all but one, which was worth about 40%)

So what about selling to private parties? Well, because this is California we have to do a PPT (private party transfer, at an FFL). And while the state mandates that FFLs do PPTs, they don't let them charge more than $10 for it, so it's a guaranteed money loser for them, as they have to pay an employee to spend at least half an hour doing paperwork. As a result, the gun stores say they do PPTs, but they do everything they can to make you just go the frack away. I asked at a gun store in Petaluma, and the guy said, by appointment only, and on Fridays only, and they are currently booked up more than 2 months out. That's a hard no without saying so. So you can't even give a gun away right now. Crazy.

So that gun collection you were going to leave to your heirs? If they aren't a gun nut like you, it's just a burden, worse than all your other crap that they need to hire a dumpster for. They'll have to bring it all to a police station for destruction. It's a sad state of affairs.

I've heard there are some charities in other states that take guns. I will have to investigate that.
Hey man, let's chat. YOu got options.
 
It's two things really: the explosion in red dot sights to the point where it's hard for guns without them to sell anymore, AND our 2023 PI win in Boland which allowed some new handguns to be sold here for the first time in a decade. The latter is specific to California.

Combine the two, and people REALLY don't want pre-Boland guns which are not optics ready, non-ambi, and otherwise inferior to modern versions. E.g., Shield Plus basically making the OG Shield obsolete.

To sell pre-Boland guns, you need a very deep discount. Not surprised gun stores don't bother with them secondhand.

I'd try and find people looking to get into shooting on a budget. That's your best bet.
 
Last edited:
It's two things really: the explosion in red dot sights to the point where it's hard for guns without them to sell anymore, AND our 2023 PI win in Boland which allowed some new handguns to be sold here for the first time in a decade. The latter is specific to California.

Combine the two, and people REALLY don't want pre-Boland guns which are not optics ready, non-ambi, and otherwise inferior to modern versions. E.g., Shield Plus basically making the OG Shield obsolete.

To sell pre-Boland guns, you need a very deep discount. Not surprised gun stores don't bother with them secondhand.

I'd try and find people looking to get into shooting on a budget. That's your best bet.
Gen 3 glocks don't have optics cuts or anything, yet people want them
 
Accumulating a lot of guns is a bad idea imo as at some point you have to go thru the California’s gun gymnastics to sell them.

I picked up a LCP max at turners today and left with a headache! As part of that ticket I bought two different types of ammo and each type needed its own dros sheet. I left with multiple sheets of paper “for my records” he said.

I have a few more guns to sell this year and hopefully nothing new catches my eye!
 
Back
Top Bottom