18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Your guns have no value

You seem like you're working very hard to defend the purchase, probably have a catchy vanity plate signallijg your none need for oil. Notice I didn't say anything bad but stated that a Tesla just doesn't fit my needs. I'm glad to hear all of those systems are finally phenomenal and all dialed in, some of these Waymo incidents have been quite frightening. Again the Volt doesn't use the gas engine to operate the vehicle in any way, it simply charges the on board battery. Floor it from a light no engine, 90 on the highway still no engine. Get to close to killing the battery it turns on and charges the battery. Again, I enjoyed the car, it just not what I need.
No need for Ad Hom.

Hybrids are not EVs, which is why they're called hybrids. EVs don't have any gas engine at all, so there's a huge difference there.

Waymos do not use Tesla's FSD (full self-driving), and I agree that they're pretty scary with some of the ridiculous mistakes they make. There's a good reason FSD no longer makes use of RADAR and LIDAR was never a thing with Tesla's FSD tech. Waymos are also geofenced but FSD can operate anywhere. The new Optimus bot uses FSD tech too, but in a bipedal humanoid form factor.

Anyway, it's good to operate from first principles. Actually drive an EV sometime, and try FSD when you get the chance. It will blow your mind.
 
Yes, but I'm talking about real-world driving and have already mentioned their shortfalls in extended races which tax the battery and the brakes. They are track performant, but racing endurance is a weak point. Again, just go watch Randy Pobst's Pike's Peak run. Hill-climbing is a strength of EVs though because they don't have power-loss due to a lack of air density. This is why NASA was able to use an EV (lunar rover) for three moon missions.

That power loss is why people in some budget ICE cars have to turn off the A/C to get a little more power, or lament hot days and sluggish performances. I cut my teeth on gas cars (I'm 57) so I remember!

For regular driving, EVs are quick because they battery is usually in a good state of charge (due to daily charging), power is ideal, the brakes aren't overheated, and they smoke nearly all vehicles from light-to-light if anyone is still foolish enough to race one.

Really, it all comes down to SOC (state-of-charge) and this should improve over time with evolving battery tech. Tesla was only founded in 2003, where ICE vehicles first arrived in 1886. ICE has reached its peak and won't appreciably improve any time soon, but EVs have all of their evolution ahead of them.
Having documented cases of not completing 1 lap of the ring, or having to quit for the day after 4 or 5 laps at Laguna isnt racing endurance. We went over Pikes Peak already - throw money and engineering at something and anything can be done....like getting to the moon, although Im not sure what your point is on the Lunar Rover being EV - not exactly a place to consider an ICE option.

Power loss during hot days and you dont mention cold and its affect on battery capacity; how about the impact of SOC? Get below 50% in your SOC and hows that departing a corner feeling then? Don't say EVs are a performant track car that you would gladly compare to anything out there for $55K....then move the goal post to everyday driving (which also is subjective; my driving vs your driving). And, then wrap it up with Tesla being around for a hot minute compared to ICE vehicles (fun fact EVs are JUST as old as ICE cars).

Who says ICE has reached its peak? Porsche is cancelling their EV program; Ferraris stock tumbled with the announcement of their EV effort; Tesla is ceasing production of the S and the X; this doesn't sound ideal for the evolution ahead of them.

You keep flip flopping around to pretzel into your love for EVs. It would be better if you just say "I like EV's. No one can change my mind." That would be cool and is certainly fair to say.
 
Now back to your original issue (self inflicted as it is) your best bet is probably going to be to contact one of the Gunbroker conseignment shops that will pick them up. Provided you're not selling a bunch of glocks and Mossberg 500s you should be able to get some value. My collection has value, mostly a few hundred a piece, but a good chunk of it is generational, and I hope my heirs enjoy them as I have.
 
Last edited:
Having documented cases of not completing 1 lap of the ring, or having to quit for the day after 4 or 5 laps at Laguna isnt racing endurance. We went over Pikes Peak already - throw money and engineering at something and anything can be done....like getting to the moon, although Im not sure what your point is on the Lunar Rover being EV - not exactly a place to consider an ICE option.

Power loss during hot days and you dont mention cold and its affect on battery capacity; how about the impact of SOC? Get below 50% in your SOC and hows that departing a corner feeling then? Don't say EVs are a performant track car that you would gladly compare to anything out there for $55K....then move the goal post to everyday driving (which also is subjective; my driving vs your driving). And, then wrap it up with Tesla being around for a hot minute compared to ICE vehicles (fun fact EVs are JUST as old as ICE cars).

Who says ICE has reached its peak? Porsche is cancelling their EV program; Ferraris stock tumbled with the announcement of their EV effort; Tesla is ceasing production of the S and the X; this doesn't sound ideal for the evolution ahead of them.

You keep flip flopping around to pretzel into your love for EVs. It would be better if you just say "I like EV's. No one can change my mind." That would be cool and is certainly fair to say.

All Race Cars, by definition, are built up to some degree. This is why there are classes for how built up they are, Formula 1 vs. more lightly-modified categories. Drag racing has similar classes. This is why comparing stock-to-stock (within a similar budget) makes the most sense. ICE cars can't compete here, not without having to spend a WHOLE lot more for similar performance. They especially can't compete with self-driving.

The point of the lunar rover example is to demonstrate how EVs don't breathe, so they're unaffected by air density or in the case of the moon, the vacuum of space (no air). This is a benefit. This is also why EVs are more flood-resistant, where vehicles that breathe in flood conditions risk breathing water, which will ruin their internal combustion engines in some fashion. It's also why EVs are so great a climbing hills, long hills, and perform well on hot or cold days without issue.

Batteries can be affected by extreme cold if battery hygiene is not followed properly, just like gas cars can run out of gas or can fail to start in cold conditions. There's no need to "start" an EV. It's basically always on, and a Tesla heats the battery for optimal fast-charging once a Supercharger destination is set. There are many more points of failure with ICE vehicles.

Manufacturers canceling their EV program? Means nothing, assuming this is true. Ferrari is a niche exotic marque, so they really don't need an EV for their brand, and in fact the sound of their performant IC motors is part of their appeal. Tesla's Model S and X don't sell a lot but those are expensive high-end EVs, but the S helped put Tesla on the map as it predated both the Model 3 and Y. In fact, it was their first production vehicle after the initial Roadster built on the Elise chassis. Tesla's bread-and-butter are the Model Y and Model 3, so it seems they're focusing on these models. I would hate to see the Model S Plaid go away but I haven't confirmed that they're canceling this apex model specifically.

EVs were around in the early days, but they weren't in wide or common use. Who has an EV from 1942? Why did GM kill the EV1 if EVs were around as long as gas cars? Why was GM so risk-averse if EVs were in common use as you imply? EV tech is one thing, but EVs weren't too popular until the Nissan LEAF and Tesla's first Roadsters, the Model S, and the Model 3 ramp. Everyone else (with respect to EVs) is playing catch-up to Tesla. Also, it seems a lot of manufacturers thought they had to make EVs ugly, or stupid-looking. The original LEAF is a prime example. Tesla changed all of that.

We're simply talking about technology, not just my love for EVs or your disdain for them.
 
Last edited:
So don't collect guns because they're worthless, and everybody should buy Teslas lol k
Or at least, understand technology on a first-principles basis. Fire that gun you like. See what it's about. Actually drive an EV before commenting too much on it, or believing myths, hearsay, and false narratives. Guns have their detractors spreading false narratives and fake statistics, and the same is true for EVs.

If you've fired the gun and you hate it, fair enough. If you've driven a specific car and hate it, same thing. At 57 I've cut my teeth on ICE vehicles so there's no mystery, and I love very small cars too (not really a thing with EVs due to battery constraints). Before EVs I was a die-hard Honda guy, but I also tried Smart and FIAT (Abarth). I spent 20 years riding sportbikes too, Japanese and British marques.

Going forward, I think we'll see further battery evolution which should open up more form factors such as sub-compact vehicles. A vehicle with an 83-mile range like the FIAT or SMART EV is not practical for the real-world. Range is king, but range these days for EV-owners is a total non-issue. I can drive to L.A. and back (from Murrieta) having only charged on sunlight. It's nice to have your own thermonuclear "gas station" in your garage. :D
 
All Race Cars, by definition, are built up to some degree. This is why there are classes for how built up they are, Formula 1 vs. more lightly-modified categories. Drag racing has similar classes. This is why comparing stock-to-stock (within a similar budget) makes the most sense. ICE cars can't compete here, not without having to spend a WHOLE lot more for similar performance. They especially can't compete with self-driving.

The point of the lunar rover example is to demonstrate how EVs don't breathe, so they're unaffected by air density or in the case of the moon, the vacuum of space (no air). This is a benefit. This is also why EVs are more flood-resistant, where vehicles that breathe in flood conditions risk breathing water, which will ruin their internal combustion engines in some fashion. It's also why EVs are so great a climbing hills, long hills, and perform well on hot or cold days without issue.

Batteries can be affected by extreme cold if battery hygiene is not followed properly, just like gas cars can run out of gas or can fail to start in cold conditions. There's no need to "start" an EV. It's basically always on, and a Tesla heats the battery for optimal fast-charging once a Supercharger destination is set. There are many more points of failure with ICE vehicles.

Manufacturers canceling their EV program? Means nothing, assuming this is true. Ferrari is a niche exotic marque, so they really don't need an EV for their brand, and in fact the sound of their performant IC motors is part of their appeal. Tesla's Model S and X don't sell a lot but those are expensive high-end EVs, but the S helped put Tesla on the map as it predated both the Model 3 and Y. In fact, it was their first production vehicle after the initial Roadster built on the Elise chassis. Tesla's bread-and-butter are the Model Y and Model 3, so it seems they're focusing on these models. I would hate to see the Model S Plaid go away but I haven't confirmed that they're canceling this apex model specifically.

EVs were around in the early days, but they weren't in wide or common use. Who has an EV from 1942? Why did GM kill the EV1 if EVs were around as long as gas cars? Why was GM so risk-averse if EVs were in common use as you imply? EV tech is one thing, but EVs weren't too popular until the Nissan LEAF and Tesla's first Roadsters, the Model S, and the Model 3 ramp. Everyone else (with respect to EVs) is playing catch-up to Tesla. Also, it seems a lot of manufacturers thought they had to make EVs ugly, or stupid-looking. The original LEAF is a prime example. Tesla changed all of that.

We're simply talking about technology, not just my love for EVs or your disdain for them.
Distain...because I dont have a love for something you do. OK., interesting. You sidestepped most of what I said, dropped in some half truths, and completely lost me when you claimed Tesla is a good looking car and quietly referenced 'Who Killed the Electric Car?'. Im out!
 
Distain...because I dont have a love for something you do. OK., interesting. You sidestepped most of what I said, dropped in some half truths, and completely lost me when you claimed Tesla is a good looking car and quietly referenced 'Who Killed the Electric Car?'. Im out!
*disdain. Just going by what you write. Remember first principles, and don't believe false narratives. We EV owners who actually drive them see false narratives constantly from the anti-EV crowd.

Rarely do they get the facts right because they have little to no firsthand experience with EVs and no sincere intent to learn. It's easier to just strawman the tech entirely.

GM killed the electric car once (EV1):in the 90s and there is a documentary about it on Prime called, "Who Kiled the Electric Car?". I brought this up because you claimed EVs have been around as long as gas cars, which is obviously wrong. Tech is one thing, common-use is another.

If EVs were in common-use then we wouldn't have needed to Tesla to lead the way, with honorable mention to Nissan and the LEAF.

Beauty is somewhat subjective, but I am a pro artist and I get paid for my aesthetic opinion. The original LEAF wasn't winning any design awards. At the very least, people needed more styling choices to choose EVs over a plurality of gas cars. Tesla provided these choices, starting with the original Roadster.
 
Last edited:
Ok questioning this thread's validity. OP references Petaluma, and then Murrieta. Title is click bait like, and thread quickly devolved into "I drive a Tesla and its my whole personality." Also seems to "educate" people by repeating their own statements.
 
So I've been looking at getting rid of some old guns, ones I no longer need, or will never shoot again.

I know we're in the "Trump Slump" (no fear of new federal gun laws, so no demand, causing a market glut and low prices). But it's worse than that.

I brought a bunch of guns into a Petaluma gun store to see if they were interested in any. They weren't. They didn't want any of the pistols, at any cost. The guy said, "They don't have optics cuts, so I couldn't sell any of them." The stupid optics craze on pistols is so prevalent now that guns without them literally have zero value. (Chock up one more reason I fracking hate them.)

Rifles, they'd offer about 10% of their value. (on all but one, which was worth about 40%)

So what about selling to private parties? Well, because this is California we have to do a PPT (private party transfer, at an FFL). And while the state mandates that FFLs do PPTs, they don't let them charge more than $10 for it, so it's a guaranteed money loser for them, as they have to pay an employee to spend at least half an hour doing paperwork. As a result, the gun stores say they do PPTs, but they do everything they can to make you just go the frack away. I asked at a gun store in Petaluma, and the guy said, by appointment only, and on Fridays only, and they are currently booked up more than 2 months out. That's a hard no without saying so. So you can't even give a gun away right now. Crazy.

So that gun collection you were going to leave to your heirs? If they aren't a gun nut like you, it's just a burden, worse than all your other crap that they need to hire a dumpster for. They'll have to bring it all to a police station for destruction. It's a sad state of affairs.

I've heard there are some charities in other states that take guns. I will have to investigate that.
Whatever FFL you went to is straight garbage. Employees seem to be lazy and the way they only do ppt’s on fridays by appointment only will hopefully make them lose money. From personal experience, a ppt should take no longer than 20 min with a competent salesperson, even in CA. They f*cked you.
 
Ok questioning this thread's validity. OP references Petaluma, and then Murrieta. Title is click bait like, and thread quickly devolved into "I drive a Tesla and its my whole personality." Also seems to "educate" people by repeating their own statements.
Dishonest strawman. Let it go so the thread jack can end.
 
Ok questioning this thread's validity. OP references Petaluma, and then Murrieta. Title is click bait like, and thread quickly devolved into "I drive a Tesla and its my whole personality." Also seems to "educate" people by repeating their own statements.
What. I never reference Murrietta. I don't even know what/where that is. And I don't want to talk about cars. I think it's really obnoxious to thread-jack that hard. But this ain't my forums so my opinion doesn't matter all that much.
 
What. I never reference Murrietta. I don't even know what/where that is. And I don't want to talk about cars. I think it's really obnoxious to thread-jack that hard. But this ain't my forums so my opinion doesn't matter all that much.
Agreed. Convo drift. I'll stop with car talk on my side.
 
What. I never reference Murrietta. I don't even know what/where that is. And I don't want to talk about cars. I think it's really obnoxious to thread-jack that hard. But this ain't my forums so my opinion doesn't matter all that much.
My mistake, I got confused about who had started the thread.
 
Yes, $10 for the FFL, $37 for the DROS. And a half hour of filling out paperwork.
It absolutely does not take half an hour. I’ve been in and out in 15 minutes for PPTs. Places like Turner’s (which I avoid for PPTs when all possible) that add their own paperwork will add time, but a 4473 and the DROS paperwork shouldn’t take half an hour.
 
Back
Top Bottom