18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

1911 in 9mm???

This reminds me, I am going to sell my Kimber commander in 9mm. Rad gun, but I am not shooting it much. Reading this and Interested? Let me know

So what? It'll keep in the safe until you decide to shoot it again. Otherwise, you'll probably end up buying another one at a much higher price. I did this six or seven times with SIG P220's until I learned. Now I just have two from the 90's that keep me occupied and a Legion SAO to take to the range.

I was going through my journal recently and I noticed that several of my guns have not been used in a decade. A whole bunch haven't been shot in five years. My problematic Nighthawk Enforcer hadn't been shot in four years before I started using it recently.

I had moved on from those guns. But, I know myself and I would just buy them again if I wanted to use one. So, I just put them in the safe (cleaned and lubricated) and they're ready to go next time.
 
It’s like a .308 garand. Just not right.
I see a 308 garand as sort of a waste of a good garand receiver.
If you want a 308 in the M1 action, get an M14 action to build on.

9mm in 1911's and 2011's is wonderful to shoot but my pick of the two is the double stack because you can.
If I needed a flatter 1911 to carry, it would have a caliber that starts with a 4.
 
I see a 308 garand as sort of a waste of a good garand receiver.
If you want a 308 in the M1 action, get an M14 action to build on.

9mm in 1911's and 2011's is wonderful to shoot but my pick of the two is the double stack because you can.
If I needed a flatter 1911 to carry, it would have a caliber that starts with a 4.
Very valid points.

My destine is more of an art’s and crafts origin. To your point, why put a .308 in a long action? Why only go 9 when you can go to 10? I absolutely love the garand and the 1911 and most very firearm in the progression toward today’s modern firearms and even thought they are quite capable creations, my appreciation is more historical in nature. The K31 and auto 5 being notable exceptions. Both stand shoulder to shoulder and even above most/many current commercially available counterparts IMO.
 
Reminds me I have a BNIB never fired Wilson Combat Professional in 9mm that I'm going to sell. tempImagejNnn6G.webp
 
Nothing wrong with it. I have identical 9mm and 45. I really enjoy the 45 experience. I understand the heritage as well. But 9 is half the price, and shoots smooth as glass in a full size all metal offering. It’s also a great introductory to 45 as many people younger than me really only have 9mm experience I keep finding. I have zero issue and always say go with whatever you will use and practice with since it sitting home collecting dust isn’t the right choice either.
 
It’s like a .308 garand. Just not right.
I don't think it's a fair comparison between a 9mm 1911 and a 308 Garand because 308 is ballistically so close to 3006 and also close in cost of ammo, it really is a waste of a receiver. The 9mm is different enough from a 45 as to be worth it to chamber a 1911 in 9mm. Also the 1911 design is a universal pistol design at this point, that lends itself to chambering in multiple calibers, heavy customization, and diverse uses. Whereas a Garand is not as customizable and universal as far as chamberings and uses. You can do pretty much anything you would want to do with a pistol using a 1911 variant. That's not true with an M1. All my M1s are in 3006. There is no point to a 308 Garand when you can just get an M1A.
 
Last edited:
I don't think it's a fair comparison between a 9mm 1911 and a 308 Garand because 308 is ballistically so close to 3006 and also close in cost of ammo, it really is a waste of a receiver. The 9mm is different enough from a 45 as to be worth it to chamber a 1911 in 9mm. Also the 1911 design is a universal pistol design at this point, that lends itself to chambering in multiple calibers, heavy customization, and diverse uses. Whereas a Garand is not as customizable and universal as far as chamberings and uses. You can do pretty much anything you would want to do with a pistol using a 1911 variant. That's not true with an M1. All my M1s are in 3006. There is no point to a 308 Garand when you can just get an M1A.
IMO, it’s the other way around. The .308 was developed by Americans to replace the american developed .30-06 and it’s still distasteful. Whereas replacing the american developed .45ACP with the German developed 9mm parabellum or Luger is even moar distasteful. JMTC
 
IMO, it’s the other way around. The .308 was developed by Americans to replace the american developed .30-06 and it’s still distasteful. Whereas replacing the american developed .45ACP with the German developed 9mm parabellum or Luger is even moar distasteful. JMTC
I wouldn't say replacing the 45 with 9mm I would call it giving people an option. I enjoy shooting 45 but now with my bad right thumb i can only shoot so much on it but 9mm I can shoot a lot more.
 
IMO, it’s the other way around. The .308 was developed by Americans to replace the american developed .30-06 and it’s still distasteful. Whereas replacing the american developed .45ACP with the German developed 9mm parabellum or Luger is even moar distasteful. JMTC
308 is basically an improved 3006 designed to be used in a detachable box magazine as internally fed service rifles were obsolete by the late 1950s. Military loads are essentially the same ballistically. 9mm and 45 are not even close ballistically. For starters, the size of the projectile is vastly different. You can use the same projectile, powder, and primer in 308 and 3006. When the US switched to 308, they developed a detachable box magazine-fed rifle based on the M1, the M14. Sure, some M1s were converted to 308, but they were not standard issue. You are also ignoring the fact the US adopted 9mm because NATO adopted 9mm. And it didn't really matter that the Germans originally developed it; it's an excellent, combat-proven semiauto pistol cartridge. Hell some of the most successful weapons in history are German designs or heavily influenced by them. Who TF cares? Actually, a lot of people seek German weapons because they are so well designed and well made. Are you going to cry about the 1903 Springfield being a copy of the German Mauser? Also, I might add if you are hating on 9mm because of it's German heritage, might I point out it was developed in Imperial Germany, not 🥨 Germany.

The 1911 is a versatile universal pistol design, which is a testament to its ingenuity and perfection. The same can be said about 9mm. Nothing even remotely distasteful about using 9mm or a 1911 in other popular pistol cartridges such as 10, 40, 380, and 38 super.
 
Last edited:
“Enjoyed”? You trying to sell it? 😉
Excited Which One GIF
 
I really like my EMP 3 and am a little frustrated that I can't get a 9mm 1911/2011 that is:

10 + 1
optics ready
easy-ish to conceal
not a billion dollars.

The EMP ain't cheap and I say good. I have a Stan Chen flared magwell and XS sights. I don't know if I want to mess with the slide to mount an optic. I know optics don't add much to print, but I like having the little pistol little. I think having an EMP and something else working in tandem, weather permitting, might be the ticket. The new Wilson looks great, but gosh darn darn is it expensive.

Goldilocks, help!
 
I really like my EMP 3 and am a little frustrated that I can't get a 9mm 1911/2011 that is:

10 + 1
optics ready
easy-ish to conceal
not a billion dollars.

The EMP ain't cheap and I say good. I have a Stan Chen flared magwell and XS sights. I don't know if I want to mess with the slide to mount an optic. I know optics don't add much to print, but I like having the little pistol little. I think having an EMP and something else working in tandem, weather permitting, might be the ticket. The new Wilson looks great, but gosh darn darn is it expensive.

Goldilocks, help!
It's not a 1911, but does have very similar controls
The CSX e series has been great
Small, still shootable and optics ready
Hardest thing is just finding a holster I like for it
 
I really like my EMP 3 and am a little frustrated that I can't get a 9mm 1911/2011 that is:

10 + 1
optics ready
easy-ish to conceal
not a billion dollars.

The EMP ain't cheap and I say good. I have a Stan Chen flared magwell and XS sights. I don't know if I want to mess with the slide to mount an optic. I know optics don't add much to print, but I like having the little pistol little. I think having an EMP and something else working in tandem, weather permitting, might be the ticket. The new Wilson looks great, but gosh darn darn is it expensive.

Goldilocks, help!
I agree on the optic part, I removed the EPS Carry from my p365 because it just makes it bigger, and is in an awkward spot when AIWB carrying where it contacts/interferes with my belt buckle. My thought is that I’m just about as fast to acquire the irons, and at any reasonable self defense distance it’s a negligible difference to have a dot. Also just one more thing to fail, run out of batteries, etc
 
I agree on the optic part, I removed the EPS Carry from my p365 because it just makes it bigger, and is in an awkward spot when AIWB carrying where it contacts/interferes with my belt buckle. My thought is that I’m just about as fast to acquire the irons, and at any reasonable self defense distance it’s a negligible difference to have a dot. Also just one more thing to fail, run out of batteries, etc
You forgot about the ability to snag the dot on clothing when drawing. That tends to slow the stroke and draws attention.
 
Back
Top Bottom