18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Analysis paralysis: First time gun buyer

A lot of folks recommend the SP01. I know this is a really unpopular opinion but I'm here to tell you, you aren't missing anything if you don't have one. I had an SP01, TS, 75b full, 75b compact, and 97b. I didn't care for any of them. IMHO a Glock 19, 17, or 34 is better than an SP01 for both competition and self-defense. Especially if you are going to carry it all day, the Glock is much lighter and has the same felt recoil. 9mm doesn't really recoil much to begin with.

If you really want a CZ wait for the Shadow 2 to get on the roster. That's the only CZ I own now, and it's the only CZ I think is worth owning. But I don't recommend the S2 for a defensive gun.

The P320 Legion is a nice gun. The P320 trigger is a lot lighter than a Glock trigger. Can't go wrong with a P320, if you aren't bothered by the unproven rumors that they fire on their own.

Also, the M&P 9 2.0 is a very nice gun as well. Can't go wrong with one.

If you want a hammer-fired gun, the P229 and P2000 are both really nice all-purpose pistols that will eat anything and are easy to shoot. If you ever shoot .40cal, the P229 has very light felt recoil.
 
Last edited:
I love my Glock 34. I have two of them for home defense, both equipped identically with Trijicon night sites and Surefire lights. And from what I understand, the 34 makes for an excellent competition gun. It's essentially a 17 with a longer slide and barrel.
 
I like and have the same philosophy of buy one cry once; then I bought many many CZs. lol. No regret.

With that principle, and also since you hope it be a good toy and also for potential competition, my recommendation is to choose a steel frame gun.

For off roster, consider CZ Shadow 2 cajunized (aka CGW pro package.) Bonus is, cajunize by yourself is a fun journey. Another great choice, if you prefer strike fire pistol, is Walther PDP Steel Frame 5”, which is relatively harder to find. A cheaper choice might be cajunized SP-01.

For on roster gun, P320 X5 Legion is a acceptable choice and the grip weight matter (therefore not worth to save money for xfull. The reason I say acceptable, primarily due to too many failures have happened in recent years that broke the grip. I would highly recommend to change grip to Sig AXG or SXG grip which is aluminum and steel respectively, plus Lok’s aluminum or brass panel for them. Optionally also change slide and barrel to greyguns. Together you will get a really nice P320 (despite the trigger won’t be as good as cz or pdp.)
 
As another already stated, it won't be your last. Go with what fits your hand, start there. Whatever you decide on, be sure to train with it, even if you do not decide to pursue CCW, still take the courses to familiarize yourself and build good muscle memory.
 
OP, how much experience do you have shooting handguns? This makes all the difference.

As mentioned in this thread, if you are not experienced, then holding or even shooting some will not help much to make a good informed decision. Getting a few basic classes to get your grip and fundamentals in place, will help you a lot to go and try out a few options and take it from there.

I have seen too many people at the range shoot like crap with the fanciest and best guns. If you buy it for use as a tool then get your skillset and a good tool, even if it is not the prettiest tool. If you buy it as a showpiece then get the prettiest one.

Reality is that you will likely get a few, some tools, some showpieces. For a first gun I would advise to focus on the tool part
 
I like CZs and would say get an SP01. If you arent in a hurry you can probably pick one up used PPT, or wait until hopefully they get added to the roster.

If you are in a hurry, i would get a p226. i like DA/SA over striker guns. i would try not to get wrapped up into the modularity / modding, etc quite yet. buy a factory duty style pistol, and shoot it a bunch for a year or two before you start modding/messing with it (except for maybe grip mods), potentially making your only pistol less reliable.

A quote that somewhat changed my perception of guns and shooting a long time ago: "You are no more armed because you own a gun, than you are a musician because you own a guitar. The instrument is not the answer. The skill to use it is the answer." - Jeff Cooper
 
Did someone already say “get a G19”? No?

OP, get a G19 haha!! Or a G17. Or a G34.

There are so many solid choices, it’s hard to go wrong. G17, PDP, P320, VP9, etc, etc. If you’re up to it, rent before you buy. Then buy the one that speaks to you.

And don’t over think it, because you *will* get more guns. What’s that line? “This is the last gun I’ll buy…until I buy my next one” haha!!
 
I kind of have a buy one cry once mentality and want the best value. I love attention to detail and have gone through expensive coffee gear,

Would love to hear thoughts from the gun community here.

There is another thread that stated that Staccato is coming to CA. If you are in So cal you can get a Platypus through 2Azone. Nice metal framed guns

But if you are going to get a "regular" gun, I like P229 for DA/SA. There are a ton of new Striker guns coming out. The glocks have been around, Sigs are relatively new, HK VP9s, Shadow systems...Maybe wait to see if you can handle some of those. If you have big massive hands then fullsize for sure, but if not then maybe you could still handle a few 4" barrel guns to see how it feels. I have gravitated toward the feel of the balance of a 4" barrel gun, which is why I like the Glock 45,19, Sig 229, and HK VP9. You may or may not notice a difference. But something to check.
 
Did someone already say “get a G19”? No?

OP, get a G19 haha!! Or a G17. Or a G34.

There are so many solid choices, it’s hard to go wrong. G17, PDP, P320, VP9, etc, etc. If you’re up to it, rent before you buy. Then buy the one that speaks to you.

And don’t over think it, because you *will* get more guns. What’s that line? “This is the last gun I’ll buy…until I buy my next one” haha!!
I have a neighbor who is a fairly large guy with big hands. I encouraged him to start with a G19 or 17. He went with the 17 because the 19 is too small for him. I wish I had started there. Would have been so much easier.
 
Get a Desert Eagle. ;)





Kidding! Get a Magnum 500! 😜

+1 on don’t overthink it. You’ll hear people say ‘get an Sig,’ ‘get a Glock,’ ‘get a CZ,’ or ‘get a Beretta.’ IMO, they’re all good in their own way. Just stay away from a P22 and you’ll be fine. It wont be your only pistol, and only you will know what you’ll end up liking. Just get something you reasonably like and is in your budget. That’ll be a drop in the bucket to what you end up spending. 😂
 
Just buy one bro. Its a gun not marriage. You can sell it on here for bit less than you bought it if you dont like it, and consider it a rental.

Buying one and selling it for 200 less than purchase is still cheaper than renting at a range. Buy used and prosper
Not true in my experience. Most pistols or revolvers or shotguns are $12 to $20 to rent at Reed's Indoor Range in Santa Clara. You can only shoot their ammo out of their rental guns, which is $23 for 50 rounds of 9mm ball. Total of $35 to $45 to rent one pistol for 50 rounds.
 
I usually like to read reviews and Google "XYZ (gun) issues" - reviews are often just "advertising" and ALWAYS "opinion", so try to seek out actual owner "reviews". There are some guns that just have too many issues. A gun that gives you lots of malfunction clearing "experience" ain't no fun! On the "plus" side, you might develop some decent amateur gunsmithing skills... voice of experience!

As others have said, how a gun "feels" at the store counter can vary a lot unless you've quite a bit of experience to know what it is you're looking at. Actually sending rounds downrange is an entirely different animal... I've had guns I liked the feel of, but couldn't group with at all... that's a frustration if you haven't got shooting experience, and other guns practically aim themselves and create one ragged hole in the target, which is MUCH more satisfying.

It really doesn't matter how much a gun costs or how "purdy" it is, if it doesn't go "bang" reliably, and shoot accurately (for you), it's a paperweight IMO.

I recently picked up a P365 based on how it felt when compared to other similar options, but I have plenty of experience to work from, and reviews were good - it shot well on the first range trip, so it was a good choice. There are lots of OEM and aftermarket parts available to reconfigure the gun a bazillion different ways to suit ones' taste, though I really don't anticipating doing any of that, as it fits what I bought it for!
 
OP - I get where you're coming from with the decision/option paralysis. I'm assuming you've rented/shot everything you might wanna buy. Honestly? If you van afford it go with your gut and what feels best in the hand.

You very likely will collect more flavors down the line - and you may sell them! That's all good.
 
A lot of wonderful responses and I appreciate it all. Quick update, I ended up meeting up with a seller from this forum for a barely used CZ 75 SP-01. The steel frame and overall construction of the gun felt really good as a first impressions. Can't wait to get it in 10 days and go shooting.

There's a lot of crossover with the specialty coffee community and here that I'm excited to get into. You guys talk about trigger feel and measure it in lbs and whatnot and coffee enthusiast nerd about different burr geometry and how that it affects the flavor profile as an example. It's great.
 
Glock 19. Don’t listen to anyone else lol. Most reliable and streamline pistol you can get.
 
Back
Top Bottom