18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Calguns Data Migration Round 2 - Aug 3

Take a survey

How long til they come back up?

  • On Schedule - Monday

    Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 1 week

    Votes: 8 4.9%
  • 2 weeks

    Votes: 68 41.5%
  • 2 more weeks!

    Votes: 85 51.8%

  • Total voters
    164

It's back up, it's performing well at 53%. When the server hits 85% the site will be slow again. so you'll see it go up and down depending on usage. There is some room for more ~500-600 users maaaybe
Pretty much what one should expect, no?

But since that's a known problem, there is probably a cost/benefit solution that would provide some buffer that is over-capacity for say, 85% of the time, but 'adequate' for high traffic - for example, the some-time-in-the-future release of the next opinion in the Duncan v Bonta saga.
 
Pretty much what one should expect, no?

But since that's a known problem, there is probably a cost/benefit solution that would provide some buffer that is over-capacity for say, 85% of the time, but 'adequate' for high traffic - for example, the some-time-in-the-future release of the next opinion in the Duncan v Bonta saga.
Not really. Considering the site isn't loaded yet and everything is on a single server. CPU usage is exponential. The load of 136 users and x guests gives a certain amount "room". You conducted one search, but multiple people conducting multiple searches is where the problem comes up. Once more people discover CG is up, the base CPU will increase. This is why its better to have it on multiple servers. The server is serving traffic while handling queries uses CPU primarily. There's room and its good, but not a lot of room. I'd be curious to see how it performs in a week, my guess is it'll be running quite hot.

It's also why in CAguns.net architecture, we have N+ tiers dedicated to specific functions.

In an ideal world, you have 50-60% CPU usage for peaks. At that point, it would trigger an upgrade if it was consistently at that level. A spike in traffic would cause lag
 
Last edited:
Not really. Considering the site isn't loaded yet and everything is on a single server. CPU usage is exponential. The load of 136 users and x guests gives a certain amount "room". You conducted one search, but multiple people conducting multiple searches is where the problem comes up. Once more people discover CG is up, the base CPU will increase. This is why its better to have it on multiple servers. The server is serving traffic while handling queries uses CPU primarily. There's room and its good, but not a lot of room. I'd be curious to see how it performs in a week, my guess is it'll be running quite hot.

It's also why in CAguns.net architecture, we have N+ tiers dedicated to specific functions.

In an ideal world, you have 50-60% CPU usage for peaks. At that point, it would trigger an upgrade if it was consistently at that level. A spike in traffic would cause lag
That sounds reasonable, but I'm just one of the users that messes up well designed and implemented systems by existing. :rolleyes:
 
That sounds reasonable, but I'm just one of the users that messes up well designed and implemented systems by existing. :rolleyes:
That should never be the case. A well designed system would not fail repeatedly. It should fail gracefully. People like you help systems become better if they listen. It's always a cat and mouse game. As I said earlier, it's not really his fault. The site just got bigger than he knows what to do with. It's a common problem and one I happen to specialize in.

At the current rate. If it gets to 300-400 members. I'd consider that good.
 
you guys fail to see the real reason for the problems. Its not server issues, cpu, load balancer, or anything. It is not a technical problem. The dude is in over his head, he doesn't know what to do, and he doesn't care to fix the issue. He's also too stubborn to give it up, or sell it. And the sponsors are still too stupid to see the problem and probably continue to pay.

Then you have all these fools continuing to pay their "loyalty" sponsorship payments because they want to support. Thats like handing out cash to a drug addict so they can buy more drugs cuz you feel sorry for them.

I don't hate calguns or the guy that runs it. I don't know him. But what I can tell you is that what he's doing to all of california is completely unacceptable.
 
Last edited:
Not working for me. I'm getting gateway timeout messages on my screen.
 
its broken again, i also cant login to my old account and had to make a new one, i doubt that will ever get addressed with the way things are going
 
Well, the OG CalGuns was a favorite and now i could not be bothered. What a waste of patience and time i'll never get back...and you can keep my iTrader.

In today's world of tech, sponsorships, capable people, followings, etc.; its a shame Cal Guns has went south. Nothing on "the guys" who are in charge but they are not treading water they have drowned. RIP.
 
Then you have all these fools continuing to pay their "loyalty" sponsorship payments because they want to support. Thats like handing out cash to a drug addict so they can buy more drugs cuz you feel sorry for them.

I don't hate calguns or the guy that runs it. I don't know him. But what I can tell you is that what he's doing to all of california is completely unacceptable.
I don’t think he’s “doing” anything to anyone, unless he maintains paid contracts and then fails to deliver. People who volunteer donations do so at their own risk and acceptance, and should expect absolutely nothing in return. If nothing else it has been a good lesson. Hopefully they will learn that most all free interned-based “communities” can and do disappear occasionally. If the owner of the old forum can’t/won’t maintain it, it will eventually die off and disappear. If he was in fact offered help from qualified individuals to keep it going and declined, that too is on him. Just don’t take it personally. It’s not worth getting worked up over. For now, enjoy this site while it lives.
 
I don't hate calguns or the guy that runs it. I don't know him. But what I can tell you is that what he's doing to all of california is completely unacceptable.

Lol look, I hate the fact that CGN is gone. But the fact that anyone feels like Kes owes California anything is hilarious! I’ve openly stated how pathetic CGN has become, but you’re comparing it to something along the lines of Newscum pulling down the DROS system so nobody in CA can purchase firearms.

It was a great forum for a LONG time. And lasted a lot longer than many other forums. Their was a wealth of knowledge their, along with a great marketplace. But we live in the 21st century, we have so many other options, not to mention this site.

At this point, I’d like to see Kes sell the site to Ikeo to merge these 2 sites. I wouldn’t be obliged to the idea of transferring all of the old CGN threads to an archive type library as a read only site that could be referenced (could be named CalGunsArchive.net).
 
Lol look, I hate the fact that CGN is gone. But the fact that anyone feels like Kes owes California anything is hilarious! I’ve openly stated how pathetic CGN has become, but you’re comparing it to something along the lines of Newscum pulling down the DROS system so nobody in CA can purchase firearms.

It was a great forum for a LONG time. And lasted a lot longer than many other forums. Their was a wealth of knowledge their, along with a great marketplace. But we live in the 21st century, we have so many other options, not to mention this site.

At this point, I’d like to see Kes sell the site to Ikeo to merge these 2 sites. I wouldn’t be obliged to the idea of transferring all of the old CGN threads to an archive type library as a read only site that could be referenced (could be named CalGunsArchive.net).
honestly, this is a great idea. I think Kes is too proud to do that though, or he's just going to milk it until the cash dries up.
Either way, love the guy or hate him, credit is due to Calguns being around and existing in the first place (for as long as it has). That site got me into the 2A among other things.
 
There are currently 2821 users online. 124 members and 2697 guests.

It's up right now, but it took about 30 seconds to log in. Better then it has been. We'll see how long it holds.

ETA: Looks like he might finally be accepting help:
 
It's up right now, but it took about 30 seconds to log in. Better then it has been. We'll see how long it holds.

ETA: Looks like he might finally be accepting help:
For fun, I tried to get on; it of course locked up, with ZERO result, yet again. Not further wasting my time on that site. Another month from now, it may be back to exactly where it was yesterday. Time to move on.
 
It's sad to see CGN crumble, even as sellers/resellers scramble to post new ads or communicate with potential sales.

I'll be here for as long as ya'll allow me to, and wish both sites nothing but the best.
 
I can't log on. Taking an eternity and then prompted with a gateway timeout error.
 
Back
Top Bottom