18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Experience with Users/Buyers on Here Ghosting

You know, I used to wonder how some of these California gun laws end up getting passed. Reading through this thread and the suggestions about how to handle lowball offers actually gave me a bit of perspective.

It seems like sometimes rules get proposed in an attempt to address something that may not really be a significant problem to begin with. In trying to fix it, the result can end up being additional rules that might not necessarily improve the situation.

It just made me think about how similar dynamics can happen in a lot of different areas when people try to regulate behavior that might already sort itself out through normal interaction.
The difference is, we're not trying to stop people from writing or making their keyboards featureless. The gun grabbers are simply using lawfare to frustrate, inhibit, tax, and deny gun acquisition and ownership.
 
Last edited:
A lot of these reactions above are lowkey passive aggressive ^ Not going to name any names. Like I got an eye rolling one for a typo thats out of my control.

Also I didn't know I can pick the best answer so I chose ShooterMcGavin's answer as it sums up the topic of ghosting/low balls within this community.

Shall we close this thread?
No need to close the thread.
 
The thing is, it's comments like these where.. "it's not a problem for me, so I don't see why you're doing anything about it". Also, there's no rule right now, and there's no additional rules for majority of people 90%, but if you run into one of these people you have the option to do something about it vs be a victim.

It's always easy for someone to say, why do you want to do something if it doesn't affect me? Well, because I see it everyday. You have 1 trade and 9 posts, it's a numbers thing. I don't want to deal with people bickering because they DO use the report button. The whole point is for me/moderator team to stay out of things. YOU police yourself, that button is like being able to punch someone in the face if they're disrespectful but it's a button. After people get punched in the face enough they stop.

You aren't going to get banned if you have too many, but people you deal with will know.. There's no rule, it's a public shaming tool for being cheap or rude. Otherwise, guess what people won't press that button on you.. You'll build a credit.
You know there is no reason for mods to be nannies even if some users ask for it. Some people will demand you solve their bickering, but that's not your job or responsibility. Honestly, it's not possible in many cases.

As adults, we need to work out our differences and disagreements on our own.

I've had a couple disputes with fellow users but I don't expect mods to solve that, nor could they. Sometimes people need to argue it out and then figure out what the other person is made of, or simply get to know each other better for perspective.

Friends sometimes start out fighting until there's mutual respect and I can more than handle myself in any debate or argument. Hell, one of my girlfriends started out not liking me and the feeling was mutual, but once we knew more we loved each other.

This is normal human behavior, and I say just let it go and watch people resolve disputes over time. Most people don't want to constantly argue because it takes time and energy.

You've done such a good job with the site, but as always we need to choose our battles wisely.
 
Last edited:
I don't need emojis or new buttons.

But I am glad there's an ignore feature. Dare I say, "use it liberally?"
 
You know there is no reason for mods to be nannies even if some users ask for it. Some people will demand you solve their bickering, but that's not your job or responsibility. Honestly, it's not possible in many cases.

As adults, we need to work out our differences and disagreements on our own.

I've had a couple disputes with fellow users but I don't expect mods to solve that, nor could they. Sometimes people need to argue it out and then figure out what the other person is made of, or simply get to know each other better for perspective.

Friends sometimes start out fighting until there's mutual respect and I can more than handle myself in any debate or argument. Hell, one of my girlfriends started out not liking me and the feeling was mutual, but once we knew more we loved each other.

This is normal human behavior, and I say just let it go and watch people resolve disputes over time. Most people don't want to constantly argue because it takes time and energy.

You've done such a good job with the site, but as always we need to choose our battles wisely.
What kind of issues bro
 
You know there is no reason for mods to be nannies even if some users ask for it. Some people will demand you solve their bickering, but that's not your job or responsibility. Honestly, it's not possible in many cases.

As adults, we need to work out our differences and disagreements on our own.

You know, people already leave feedback for doing this which wastes our time. As adults, I'm giving you the tools to do that. The whole point is for us to do less, not more.
This is normal human behavior, and I say just let it go and watch people resolve disputes over time. Most people don't want to constantly argue because it takes time and energy.

You've done such a good job with the site, but as always we need to choose our battles wisely.
This is precisely why I think having these buttons will make people choose better. You think we're going to do something, we're not. You're in control of it. The problem is people use the report button and feedback button and posts as ways to vent. I'm going to put it as a button, and if enough people click on it, then it's your problem or your benefit..

I kinda feel like you guys think the opposite of what's actually going to happen. It's so i do less, I don't want to do more. I'm still working on other things, but this one I think would be fun because I do think people can do better than ghosting, flaking, etc. You guys can have your opinions on it. Just don't use it, but I'm sure people will enjoy it when I get to it. It's not coming tomorrow but maybe 6-12 months. There's a lot of other things I need to do first. I'm just glad I have a system in mind now.
 
You know, people already leave feedback for doing this which wastes our time. As adults, I'm giving you the tools to do that. The whole point is for us to do less, not more.

This is precisely why I think having these buttons will make people choose better. You think we're going to do something, we're not. You're in control of it. The problem is people use the report button and feedback button and posts as ways to vent. I'm going to put it as a button, and if enough people click on it, then it's your problem or your benefit..

I kinda feel like you guys think the opposite of what's actually going to happen. It's so i do less, I don't want to do more. I'm still working on other things, but this one I think would be fun because I do think people can do better than ghosting, flaking, etc. You guys can have your opinions on it. Just don't use it, but I'm sure people will enjoy it when I get to it. It's not coming tomorrow but maybe 6-12 months. There's a lot of other things I need to do first. I'm just glad I have a system in mind now.
It's good that you're interrogating your ideas with those whom would be affected. It gives us a chance to weigh-in, so thank you for that.

You always have the option to do nothing when it comes to squabbling between users, even when they abuse the report button. Most of us have no issues dealing with lowballers even when they're being aggressive or making insultingly low offers. If they persist after we decline their offers there's always the ignore feature.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
 
Last edited:
It's good that you're interrogating your ideas with those whom would be affected. It gives us a chance go weigh-in, so thank you for that.

You always have the option to do nothing when it comes to squabbling between users, even when they abuse the report button. Most of us have no issues dealing with lowballers even when they're being aggressive or making insultingly low offers. If they persist after we decline their offers there's always the ignore feature.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
For the most part, this is why i left it alone but the volume is increasing because we have more people. Just trying to get ahead of more issues for us and we'll do it when we have time. It's not a priority. I will be moving the system to a newer database soon which is what crippled the L site, but we do it once a year to keep things performant.

The entire infrastructure is being migrated under the hood to being completely managed by AI agents, which is a bit much but very fun too. I have a little army of bots that are building these things, which is why this particular thing I'm going to see if AI will build for me. It's more a thing to see how good AI can see what I want to get done.
 
Last edited:
You know, people already leave feedback for doing this which wastes our time. As adults, I'm giving you the tools to do that. The whole point is for us to do less, not more.
yea if people leave feedback lol I’ve had 5 smooth transactions where i paid asking or negotiated a little less due to driving distance and i have one feedback lmao. Then i see people talking about not wanting to transact with those that have bad or little feedback and I’m just like aiiiiiiight then lol
 
yea if people leave feedback lol I’ve had 5 smooth transactions where i paid asking or negotiated a little less due to driving distance and i have one feedback lmao. Then i see people talking about not wanting to transact with those that have bad or little feedback and I’m just like aiiiiiiight then lol
I have another thing for that coming soon too.. You'll be able to request the feedback in the DM too...

I have in mind...

In the DM
  • Buyer/Seller leaves feedback...
  • Scans message for Ad listing
  • Opens a box with postive/negative. Enter your details, auto includes the link for us.
  • Submitted, then a message gets sent to the seller OR buyer which ever ffirst.
  • You have pending feedback, leave feedback and it'll match the same listing so you only have to do positive/negative
  • Then when both get approved when seller marks sold. If seller marks sold first
  • The seller can choose who to give feedback for and it'll be approved.
  • If you remove price/title, you will lose feedback
Less work on us to check daily and only have to catch exceptions and people's feedback will be held up until they return feedback. Gotta give to receive. Something like that is my first round of ideas, but I have a lot of things on my mind around this.

As long as we keep getting regular members, I can work on this and build it out and focus on just solving these kinds of problems. Lol.

It's trivial for a lot of people but you guys are supporting the development, at least the paying ones and people who participate. It's kinda fun because I can see it in the metrics, we get less reports and approvals.. You guys get faster turn around and more feedback and the feed back rate of 37% should start to track up to 60%.. I think that's a good overall target. I'll be happy if we can hit 50% ratio.

That in addition with a bunch of other things i have in mind..
 
I have another thing for that coming soon too.. You'll be able to request the feedback in the DM too...

I have in mind...

In the DM
  • Buyer/Seller leaves feedback...
  • Scans message for Ad listing
  • Opens a box with postive/negative. Enter your details, auto includes the link for us.
  • Submitted, then a message gets sent to the seller OR buyer which ever ffirst.
  • You have pending feedback, leave feedback and it'll match the same listing so you only have to do positive/negative
  • Then when both get approved when seller marks sold. If seller marks sold first
  • The seller can choose who to give feedback for and it'll be approved.
  • If you remove price/title, you will lose feedback
Less work on us to check daily and only have to catch exceptions and people's feedback will be held up until they return feedback. Gotta give to receive. Something like that is my first round of ideas, but I have a lot of things on my mind around this.

As long as we keep getting regular members, I can work on this and build it out and focus on just solving these kinds of problems. Lol.

It's trivial for a lot of people but you guys are supporting the development, at least the paying ones and people who participate. It's kinda fun because I can see it in the metrics, we get less reports and approvals.. You guys get faster turn around and more feedback and the feed back rate of 37% should start to track up to 60%.. I think that's a good overall target. I'll be happy if we can hit 50% ratio.

That in addition with a bunch of other things i have in mind..
I understand it’s always a work in progress. I like the idea of requesting feedback. Just today, met with 2 sellers in 2 different counties on my way down to SD. Both were part of a multi-listing ads which i assume won’t be marked sold until everything sells. Either way, I do my part and leave feedback
 
I understand it’s always a work in progress. I like the idea of requesting feedback. Just today, met with 2 sellers in 2 different counties on my way down to SD. Both were part of a multi-listing ads which i assume won’t be marked sold until everything sells. Either way, I do my part and leave feedback
You don't need to wait for an ad to be marked Sold to give or receive feedback.
 
You don't need to wait for an ad to be marked Sold to give or receive feedback.

What if the system automatically generated a reminder to the recipient of initial feedback, a reminder to leave feedback for the other person in the transaction? Closing the loop as it were? That would be a good use of time and energy.
 
yea if people leave feedback lol I’ve had 5 smooth transactions where i paid asking or negotiated a little less due to driving distance and i have one feedback lmao. Then i see people talking about not wanting to transact with those that have bad or little feedback and I’m just like aiiiiiiight then lol
This site would likely collapse without the buyers. Alienate the buyers and even the most gorgeous department store or ecommerce site will die.
 
Back
Top Bottom