18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Favorite firearm and car?

4Runner TRD Pro & HK VP9L

Ideally: Land Cruiser Heritage Edition & HK USP9 Expert
 
My 73 F350 12valve cummins 5 speed 4x4
And new to me Christensen arms MPR 300PRC
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5602.jpeg
    IMG_5602.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5841.jpeg
    IMG_5841.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 3
Gun: My father’s WWII Luger. (See my avatar.)

Car: My 1973 VW bus. I built a very highly modified Porsche engine for it. Plus I added Koni adjustable shocks, a rear anti sway bar, track brake pads, high performance Michelin tires, a tachometer, custom curtains, a queen size bed, an awesome stereo and I painted the interior black and installed black fake fur on all the panels, and a bunch of other cool stuff. I never should have sold it.
This description of your bus demands a photo collage. It sounds awesome.
 
Owned a Unimog, similar to the one in the picture in the late 90's. I loved that beast, the mileage was a sin and tires cost a king's ransom.

1763916485232.jpeg
 
Last edited:
This sounds so rad. My kids have been begging me to get a bus like this for beach trips and damned if I’m not considering it.
The main thing with a VW bus is the lack of front protection. It’s just thin sheet metal. I once saw a VW in a wrecking yard that had been hit head on by a Buick. The front end and the front wheels were back where the side doors open. And both people flew out the front windshield, leaving their legs behind, trapped in the bus before they died.

Buses can be very cool but they are inherently dangerous.
 
Still, my bus was a hoot to drive. I could get scratch in first and second gear and I could break the rear end loose with just a stab of the gas pedal. I used to chase Porsches with it in the Santa Cruz mountains. And another time, late one evening, I was approached by a cop who’d seen me hanging the rear end out and fish tailing under hard acceleration. He told me he was going to write me a ticket but he then said no one would believe him. He let me go with a warning.
 
This description of your bus demands a photo collage. It sounds awesome.
Unfortunately my ex has/had all my photos and we are not on speaking terms. From an appearance standpoint, imagine a red and white 1973 bus that appears to be stock but when you look inside the engine compartment, you see a 914 Porsche engine dominated by huge 44 Weber carbs. Insides included a custom cam ground by the legendary John DeLong, 2 liter Porsche heads, crank and rods, aftermarket pistons at 11.5:1 compression ratio, custom light weight push rods, Teflon buttons in the pistons instead of circlips, a complete balance job, clearancing, 009 distributer, a Melling cast iron oil pump, etc, etc. Essentially it was a custom built 2054 cc race engine. I took my bus to the drag strip one evenng and beat all comers.
 
Last edited:
The main thing with a VW bus is the lack of front protection. It’s just thin sheet metal. I once saw a VW in a wrecking yard that had been hit head on by a Buick. The front end and the front wheels were back where the side doors open. And both people flew out the front windshield, leaving their legs behind, trapped in the bus before they died.

Buses can be very cool but they are inherently dangerous.
Yeah no doubt
 
Still, my bus was a hoot to drive. I could get scratch in first and second gear and I could break the rear end loose with just a stab of the gas pedal. I used to chase Porsches with it in the Santa Cruz mountains. And another time, late one evening, I was approached by a cop who’d seen me hanging the rear end out and fish tailing under hard acceleration. He told me he was going to write me a ticket but he then said no one would believe him. He let me go with a warning.
My friend bought a raw, empty VW van at Shiphole airport in Amsterdam when we went there in 1972. Paid $1600.

Brought it back to California and drove it to Lake Tahoe for New Years. He took off the plastic governor that was blocking full throw on the carburetor. Then it really opened up, same motor as the Porsche 914 1.6.

It hit over 100 mph down 395 until the speedometer needle went all the way around and hit the zero peg on the other side.

Then a 914 2.0 passed us doing about 120. 5 minutes later a CHP car passed us. About ten miles down the road both were pulled over. Mr. Porsche got the ticket. We escaped to LA.
 
@Jimi Jah Great story. I've driven a couple of VWs. They had the frame rigidity of a bathroom door with a Briggs & Stratton motor bolted to the rear. Over 100 mph? You guys were braver than I am. :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure you have heard the stories of actor Paul Newman putting a Porsche engine in a VW Beetle then challenging unsuspecting teenagers to a drag race. When he tired of that, he put a small block V-8 in it.
 
For the record the funnest car I've ever driven was probably an RS7, I'd say even over the R8 just due to the balance and inertia that thing has.
 
Back
Top Bottom