caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

Implemented GAFS Policy

ikeo1

Administrator
Staff member
What do you think about policy similar to GAFS?

I’m thinking of instituting a permission system.

• Sellers are not allowed to change price after the fact

Because I received mixed suggestion on it, I think a workaround would be to add a paid membership requipment to viewing sold/closed listing. This would not be implemented right away, but mainly for discussion. Only if you want to search and view previous history. Free version would allow you to search all existing listings only.

This serves two purposes.

• Keep history available
  • Only uses resources if there is actual value in it going back. Since some sellers want to delete but this does have an impact on the backend. It's slight but included are other benefits.

It's helpful to look through "completed sales" when trying to figure out values and comps, so "locking" an item would be helpful. How you would balance that with the need to edit or delete an item might be complicated.

It's helpful to look through "completed sales" when trying to figure out values and comps, so "locking" an item would be helpful. How you would balance that with the need to edit or delete an item might be complicated.
Maybe, if possible, to have a price change history regardless if it was a price decrease or increase. But once the item has been sold, the last price is locked for others to compare to price their own items or offers for items.

What do you think about policy similar to GAFS?

I’m thinking of instituting a permission system.

• Sellers are not allowed to change price after the fact

Because I received mixed suggestion on it, I think a workaround would be to add a paid membership requipment to viewing sold/closed listing. This would not be implemented right away, but mainly for discussion. Only if you want to search and view previous history. Free version would allow you to search all existing listings only.

This serves two purposes.

• Keep history available
  • Only uses resources if there is actual value in it going back. Since some sellers want to delete but this does have an impact on the backend. It's slight but included are other benefits.
I personally don't think it's necessary to put sold/closed listing behind a paid membership, as I'm not seeing the point of that (unless I am misunderstanding)

I’m not thinking it’s too necessary too, you can’t search but I’ll open it up. Price change history is kept but not visible to people.

What we can implement a policy to not change price after sale and temp ban if it’s done.

Maybe, if possible, to have a price change history regardless if it was a price decrease or increase. But once the item has been sold, the last price is locked for others to compare to price their own items or offers for items.

I personally don't think it's necessary to put sold/closed listing behind a paid membership, as I'm not seeing the point of that (unless I am misunderstanding)

I’m not thinking it’s too necessary too, you can’t search but I’ll open it up. Price change history is kept but not visible to people.

What we can implement a policy to not change price after sale and temp ban if it’s done.
The idea is mainly for users to check if the current listed price is fair for what's being sold if they wish to make a deal. If a seller likes to price sky-high, that's their prerogative. The price history can help people determine if the seller is trying to get the best price possible while entertaining multiple offers and playing around with the listed price. Almost like a bidding war.
Price changes are not a bad thing, but it's the transparency of it that becomes questionable. Some sellers might realize they priced too low by mistake, others may want to price drop to move the item(s). Once the listing has been completed though, it should locked and uneditable but whether or not viewable is a different question as I'm not familiar with how much storage it would take from your end and costs and all that.

The idea is mainly for users to check if the current listed price is fair for what's being sold if they wish to make a deal. If a seller likes to price sky-high, that's their prerogative. The price history can help people determine if the seller is trying to get the best price possible while entertaining multiple offers and playing around with the listed price. Almost like a bidding war.
Price changes are not a bad thing, but it's the transparency of it that becomes questionable. Some sellers might realize they priced too low by mistake, others may want to price drop to move the item(s). Once the listing has been completed though, it should locked and uneditable but whether or not viewable is a different question as I'm not familiar with how much storage it would take from your end and costs and all that.

The issue with storage is not how small. The issue is more like people who continue to look up the price of it. It's a query on the db. Since it’s more like one off than regular. Say when a page loads, everyone see's the same thing, vs I'm looking for this one thing 3 months to 1 year ago. Then it’s a new query. So one offs not too bad, if a lot of people are looking you run into the problem you're talking about on CG. No one wants to look through the text list of ads, so they use search a lot, because they search a lot it hits the database with new requests. Then each request waits in a queue. So it's better to have a list that's shows up that can be stored vs dynamically stored.

Either way, if we had the switch that i'm putting in, then we could flip it and cut all those queries. If CG did this and cut out stale data, it'll speed up. They need to truncate their db and all the fluff in it. The stupid 'bump' thread's i would assume accounts for a large amount of junk data and extra unnecessary load

Last edited:
Ahhh I understand now, and I assume the higher number of queries means higher cost correct? I see I see

So the list, what do you mean by having it stored vs dynamically stored? Apologies, this is all new terms and concepts for me

btw, LOVING the desktop alerts... haha

Ahhh I understand now, and I assume the higher number of queries means higher cost correct? I see I see

So the list, what do you mean by having it stored vs dynamically stored? Apologies, this is all new terms and concepts for me

btw, LOVING the desktop alerts... haha

Cost as in cpu and disk cycles cause it has to search for matching records. Hence, make it a privilege that isn’t abused. The data structure at CG is nonexistent.

The one in the search here are all predetermined so the results are stored after the first fetch until someone adds or changes data.

Like I search for Glock roster sf in CG it had to look for everything that match’s after it scans all the entries and match all terms

Here you filter NorCal it’s already a preset list so you’re only search for Glock the filter by roster. Structured vs unstructured data searchs

Glad you like the notifications

Yes, definitely over my head on this lol. It makes sense but not sure how or the best way to implement this without it being too complex. If membership is the best course, then so be it if and when the time comes. I would be for it no doubt especially when I feel this community is growing fast and starting to become a place I visit multiple times a day

To answer your original post, I would agree on the price not to be changed. Hopefully others will chime in on here and voice their thoughts on the topic

Yeah I’m not going to restrict it. Just talking through it. The main thing was whether or not to keep the sale price.

Yes, definitely over my head on this lol. It makes sense but not sure how or the best way to implement this without it being too complex. If membership is the best course, then so be it if and when the time comes. I would be for it no doubt especially when I feel this community is growing fast and starting to become a place I visit multiple times a day

To answer your original post, I would agree on the price not to be changed. Hopefully others will chime in on here and voice their thoughts on the topic

Yes my bad, I took the convo in a big circle but I appreciate you explaining the process to me

Yes my bad, I took the convo in a big circle but I appreciate you explaining the process to me
It’s ok, I had to think about this pretty thoroughly to avoid the issues CG has. This was why I pushed back on it at first.

I opted for a completely separate search engine that sits in front of the database to power this so it’s kinda nice to let someone else know the kind of complexity that goes into it. Most people just expect it to work. Each one of those pieces is independently scalable. So if it takes off, we should be gtg.

Is there a way to allow a search of the previous listings without the detailed information of the pages? Such as Just seeing the make and model of the item sold, the Price sold at, and the condition. No need for the extra fluff of showing comments and details. Could this help with computing and storage utilization control?

Is there a way to allow a search of the previous listings without the detailed information of the pages? Such as Just seeing the make and model of the item sold, the Price sold at, and the condition. No need for the extra fluff of showing comments and details. Could this help with computing and storage utilization control?
Once "Marked as Sold" The listing will be set to "Sold" which can't be edited. No need to worry about the computation for this now. It's only later. Right now, you can use the existing filter. I added the capability after the initial discussion. Just search for "Status - Sold".

Last edited:
I think everyone would like to see historical prices free, but I understand the thought of a paid perk. I mean, the site isn't maintained without a cost, and the need to reduce queries is a salient issue.
Was thinking some sort of charting or graph of pricing by model may be lighter data wise, assuming you have static data stored from sales in some form. The absence of model entry as separate entry fields though probably makes this unfeasible, as you would have different naming for the same model by the users. Not recommending separate entry fields or anything, just tossing around ideas. Maintaining those sorts of things are problematic.
You seem on top of the structure and considering scalability, which I really commend, so was thinking maybe you have some magic query definition tricks to make this idea more tenable. 😁

You seem on top of the structure and considering scalability, which I really commend, so was thinking maybe you have some magic query definition tricks to make this idea more tenable. 😁
As of now you can just use the filters. It’s closed off to members only, not paid. No plans of changing that. For now I’m focused on onboarding and maintaining listing consistency before moving elsewhere.

We’ll keep things simple for now and not complicate things. In time, we’ll readjust as necessary.

A couple thoughts -
The storage of "sold" listings with pictures will add to storage, CG had limits a member could post, I always tried to keep my "bumps" deleted except the latest one, and deleted listing once the buyer had time to redeem from DROS, typically around 15-30 days.

There is value to seeing what things are selling for, but it may or not be accurate, I've had guys give me a small discount at the FTF unasked.

I think many people would be a bit leery of leaving a "history" of firearms bought or sold (especially with the latest ATF rule!). Perhaps transferring a basic set of fields that is not personally identifiable to a database of "solds" would allow the useful data to be separated from data that hostile entities might find useful would be a good compromise? I'd also limit pictures, simply due to the fairly common practice of "borrowing" someone's pictures/IP by someone too lazy to take good pictures and/or using pictures not of the actual item for sale... in some cases to try to scam a buyer.

Although I appreciate being able to see past prices. I dont think anybody should be barred from removing content they have posted. Perhaps a hehlpful solution would be to create a list of items sold with their listed price, but leave them anonymous and not tied to the poster. That way its just the useful data being retained. Sure, that wont be perfect, but there really isnt perfect in all cases, but the real question is do you value that data or do you value people being able to control their posts. I usually lean towards resistance to imposing new procedures and processes on people. If something is added it should not impact the user's experience, shouldn't require or deny anything new from them.

A couple thoughts -
The storage of "sold" listings with pictures will add to storage, CG had limits a member could post, I always tried to keep my "bumps" deleted except the latest one, and deleted listing once the buyer had time to redeem from DROS, typically around 15-30 days.

There is value to seeing what things are selling for, but it may or not be accurate, I've had guys give me a small discount at the FTF unasked.

I think many people would be a bit leery of leaving a "history" of firearms bought or sold (especially with the latest ATF rule!). Perhaps transferring a basic set of fields that is not personally identifiable to a database of "solds" would allow the useful data to be separated from data that hostile entities might find useful would be a good compromise? I'd also limit pictures, simply due to the fairly common practice of "borrowing" someone's pictures/IP by someone too lazy to take good pictures and/or using pictures not of the actual item for sale... in some cases to try to scam a buyer.

It’s a good discussion but we can’t anonymize the transaction after the fact. Then you break the feedback system since that relies on inputting the listing. Can’t have it both ways unless you want to break up the feedback system.

Both of you are kind of making me want to put it behind a paywall. Or at least a registered member. The more people that sign up. I’m realizing I’m going to have to control costs.

We use a lot of images so I may have to implement that restriction sooner than later. What we can do is possibly have the user put date/username similar to GAFS to make sure they have the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back