- Messages
- 817
Then use GunPal or GPal.Many people who are hard-core pro 2A refuse to use PayPal out of principle.![]()
Oops, I forgot the sarcasm smiley.
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
Then use GunPal or GPal.Many people who are hard-core pro 2A refuse to use PayPal out of principle.![]()
I've had to and they refunded. Its not for a purchase, unless you are shipping. In the case we're mentioning, its for fuel & time to drive to you. You should not be using paypal for any thing that goes against their terms...I’ve never had to file a Paypal G&S claim before. If Paypal finds out we are using it for guns, could buyer protections be denied?
Some people don't even have paypal because of previous gun item related purchases that paypal seized their account funds and kicked them off the platform for...which makes me question why 2A advocates would ever encourage further funding the platform who's owners are so vehemently opposed to our way of life.If that’s going to stop you, you don’t really want to sell it. Life is telling you to keep it and never sell.![]()
It’s for gas, you’re convoluting the reason. If it’s for your time and gas money it’s not for the purchase of the item.Some people don't even have paypal because of previous gun item related purchases that paypal seized their account funds and kicked them off the platform for...which makes me question why 2A advocates would ever encourage further funding the platform who's owners are so vehemently opposed to our way of life.
Cash isn't what it used to be. I've been playing with the idea of using a multi-sig crypto contract using USDC, but the learning curve might be a bit much for the majority of users here.lots of people that dislike the use of paypal will use venmo iinstea, but what they don't know is that paypal owns venmo.
cash is king.
I can act as a "Title Company" would- send me the money and I'll hold it until the check clears, the merch is in hand and both sides say "cool". Then for a modest % fee, I'll send the dough.
Preventing or at least minimizing scams is a great thing and I am a fan of anything that can be done to do so. Saying you'll ban people for requesting minimal deposits through zelle is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion, but like I've said before, not my house not my rules. I have several hundred purchases and sales through various websites and forums over the last bunch of years and can only remember a single time being scammed...and it was through F-ing Paypal and ebay of all things. Empty box was delivered, ebay said tracking showed it was delivered, seller sent ebay a picture of the item being packaged, ebay and paypal both denied my claim and I got screwed. Shortly after my account was locked because it was a firearm part/accessory (purchased on ebay and paid through paypal, remember) and enough money to buy a new pistol was locked up and inaccessible with it.
I'm surprised that there's no concern over Paypal banning accounts for deposits for firearms adjacent transactions, regardless of how the verbiage is when a claim is made. I'd bet my deposit amount that if the claim is made as "deposit for gas and time to meet up and transfer a gun through an FFL", they'd still use that as a way to seize assets and block accounts.
I don't have a rock solid solution to the problem, but banning people for trying to reasonably protect themselves by asking for a ten dollar deposit is silly.
Being minimally invested in following through with a transaction, and the risk of losing the cost of a cup of coffee, is a whole lot different ball park than losing the cost of the item.
I do agree that the crypto thing would be the "best" solution, but at the same time be VASTLY limiting in who would be able/willing to participate. Even though all the cryptos are well known and popular these days, the number of people actually using them or that understand/trust them is tiny. I also agree that the website shouldn't get involved in transactions. Opening it up to lawsuits sounds like a terrible idea, both on liability and just the huge amount of time and energy it would take to manage that whole fiasco of upset buyers and sellers.
In the end, it isn't my place or my rules or my anything other than input and ideas and opinions. Small deposits create emotional investment for the sender, and a modicum of surety for the receiver, that the sender intends to not waste their time, which is our most valuable asset of all. The cost of fuel and time wasted to go meet up with a no show isn't even sort of covered by a ten dollar deposit and no one's going to get rich off of a ten dollar scam on a gun forum, which everyone would know about within in an hour of it happening because a new thread would be made about it, but the psychology behind it makes it FAR more likely that the sender of said deposit will go through with the agreement.
Hell, maybe there could be a group-funded "insurance" type thing. Buyer sends a ten or twenty dollar deposit and if they get scammed by a scammybag seller, they get reimbursed their cup of coffee by the fund. I'd contribute to that to minimize losses by honest folks. Everyone that's going to use marketplace kicks in a buck or three that sits in a pool to make victims of scams whole again.
![]()
We don't have rules for shipped items. We might limit Zelle/Venmo to paid users.. You can ask them to cover fees no problem.I have listed parts/accessories for sale that include an option to ship. Are there payment rules for shipping sold items? By default I’ve been requesting Zelle/Venmo first, with the option of Paypal G&S if they want to offset fees for seller protections. Is that still allowed?
I haven't rolled it out here but like the CGN verification we also have a GAFS verification. Paid members use their CC so they're vetted to an extent. Reddit is also not a verifiable account. GAFS's has a lot of scammers. We also offer 2FA here too and other options to secure accounts.I would think the reputation from GAFS would matter more than "paid" members. Lots of CAguns "paid" members without a history of trades.
Example: +50 minimum on GAFS and Reddit verifiable account. For the use of online payment, ship.

Yeah, let's make CAGuns marketplace like r/GAFS. I can imagine us Californians helping each other out. Let's be honest to each other. Let's get to the point where buyers actually get what they paid for. I have +13 flair on GAFS (3 sell) and +1 here (1 sell). I know it's not a lot but when I posted ads and got them sold, I delivered. Being truthful isn't hard and it's free.
Good to know. I was not aware of this Paypal G&S empty box scam and claim denial vulnerability. I will adjust my online transaction risk assessment and tolerance based on your unfortunate experience. Thanks @H. Bowman for sharing.I have several hundred purchases and sales through various websites and forums over the last bunch of years and can only remember a single time being scammed...and it was through F-ing Paypal and ebay of all things. Empty box was delivered, ebay said tracking showed it was delivered, seller sent ebay a picture of the item being packaged, ebay and paypal both denied my claim and I got screwed. Shortly after my account was locked because it was a firearm part/accessory (purchased on ebay and paid through paypal, remember) and enough money to buy a new pistol was locked up and inaccessible with it.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!