18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Is anybody actually selling anything here or at CalG?

There's definitely a lot more price sensitivity I think. I've listed optics on here for what I thought were very fair prices and ended up selling them for a lot lower than I would've liked. I listed new items at ~80% of retail with shipping included, and most sold for closer to 50% of retail. The dots were worthless with my bad astigmatism so I just had to eat my losses. It's not just guns though, I buy/sell high-end fishing gear and that market has been really tough lately too. Stuff just doesn't move like it did even a year ago.

My LGS (Integrity Arms in Lodi) did corroborate the point above about people buying the new roster pistols faster than they can get them in, 11% tax be damned. Still cheaper than what guys want for the off-roster models. He's trying to clear out his entire handgun inventory and will only stock the new Sigs, Hellcats, and G17/19/20. Those are the only things he's selling. If you're in the market for something other than those models, might be worth a trip over there to see if you can make a deal.
 
I’m just curious if anybody has had any luck selling here or at Calguns in the last year. I’m about to give up on PPT and send everything off to auction or consignment. For the last few years I’ve been buying and selling while I refined my collection. Nothing crazy but I’ve hit my PPT limit several years in a row. Since CalGun started getting weird last year I haven’t sold a thing. I’m about to give up and send everything off to Rock Island just to be done with it.
I’ve bought two items on here so it is working. For firearms PPT that require face to face, how far I have to travel (2xs) becomes part of what it is worth to me.
 
most likely just bad luck right now, actually for both of us bc i was the one that commented on your 1903 post about how its not in socal.
 
I’m just curious if anybody has had any luck selling here or at Calguns in the last year. I’m about to give up on PPT and send everything off to auction or consignment. For the last few years I’ve been buying and selling while I refined my collection. Nothing crazy but I’ve hit my PPT limit several years in a row. Since CalGun started getting weird last year I haven’t sold a thing. I’m about to give up and send everything off to Rock Island just to be done with it.
I have sold here without issue. It took me a while but I noticed when the new guys came over, interest picked up.

All positive experiences and am planning on selling a few more guns from my collection
 
I just sold a pistol here in about a day or so. It was a more than fair deal, with no price gouging. I was willing to lower the price for the buyer who was willing to do the deal at a dealer near my location. I drove 20 minutes; he drove over an hour. If I would have needed to drive an hour and 20 minutes, I probably would have passed on the sale, even if I had increased it to the original asking price.
 
I’m old and out of the loop. Does the 11% tax apply only to NEW guns?
As far as consignment selling it takes away a lot of grief for the seller but the 20% they take for the service is @ pretty big hit.
Pete
 
I’m old and out of the loop. Does the 11% tax apply only to NEW guns?
As far as consignment selling it takes away a lot of grief for the seller but the 20% they take for the service is @ pretty big hit.
Pete
From what I understand any firearm sale at a gun shop is subject to the 11% on top of sales tax. So if you consign a piece to a shop in CA it is subject to the 11%. PPTs are exempt for now because the gun shop doesn’t handle the money.
 
From what I understand any firearm sale at a gun shop is subject to the 11% on top of sales tax. So if you consign a piece to a shop in CA it is subject to the 11%. PPTs are exempt for now because the gun shop doesn’t handle the money.
Correct. I almost added a consignment gun to a PPT I was doing at the LGS but decided not to because I would have to pay 11% gun tax and 10% sales tax, 21% total in taxes for a used consignment gun. Thats rediculous. Of course no taxes on the PPT I was already doing. Anyone trying to sell their gun consignment is really screwing themselves over and potential buyers by not going the PPT route.
 
I’m just curious if anybody has had any luck selling here or at Calguns in the last year. I’m about to give up on PPT and send everything off to auction or consignment. For the last few years I’ve been buying and selling while I refined my collection. Nothing crazy but I’ve hit my PPT limit several years in a row. Since CalGun started getting weird last year I haven’t sold a thing. I’m about to give up and send everything off to Rock Island just to be done with it.
Just sold 3 more items today 🙏🏽 Good to also see things moving along for some of ya’ll 🤙🏽
 
When your item don't sell and just linger there, most likely it means the price is too high for that item. Many newbies are getting into the hobby, just seeing my extended family, cousins, their friends, most of them are young late 20's to 30's and most of them think the 11% sin tax is normal always there and the ugly LCI is also normal. So for them, they just buy at retail newly added on-roster handguns.
 
Many newb's try to low ball on things that are already cheap is what I have seen to be honest, not all.
When all the offers you get are "low ball", you have to consider that the market has changed and the price your item will actually sell at is a lot lower than you think it is. Its supply and demand. If all the potential buyers value an item lower than before, that means the price has decreased and sellers must adjust accordingly if they want to make a sale.
 
When all the offers you get are "low ball", you have to consider that the market has changed and the price your item will actually sell at is a lot lower than you think it is. Its supply and demand. If all the potential buyers value an item lower than before, that means the price has decreased and sellers must adjust accordingly if they want to make a sale.
I have sold many things both here and on Calguns well below what you could ever find them for anywhere.
I am always well below market with anything I sell.
Some things are very unique for real collectors.
 
What I find interesting is the number of people chiming in here saying “your prices are too high” without bothering to answer the original question and without seeming to have read the rest of the comments.
I’m not asking for selling advise and I don’t care what you think of my prices. I am curious about the state of the PPT market. I’ve been a daily reader of the first 5-10 pages of CalGuns classifieds for almost a decade and I’ve never seen so many stale listings. Some of that is because of the server issues but not all. It seems to be the case here as well. Low priced items and crazy good deals are selling, like they always do, but a lot of stuff is sitting at reasonable prices. This is not a critique of this site or calguns but more an observation of the gun market as a whole.
 
What I find interesting is the number of people chiming in here saying “your prices are too high” without bothering to answer the original question and without seeming to have read the rest of the comments.
I’m not asking for selling advise and I don’t care what you think of my prices. I am curious about the state of the PPT market. I’ve been a daily reader of the first 5-10 pages of CalGuns classifieds for almost a decade and I’ve never seen so many stale listings. Some of that is because of the server issues but not all. It seems to be the case here as well. Low priced items and crazy good deals are selling, like they always do, but a lot of stuff is sitting at reasonable prices. This is not a critique of this site or calguns but more an observation of the gun market as a whole.

If you want some stats, the number of sold items here where users marked as sold is at 928 items. The rate of sale is increasing. It’s not just crazy deals and low prices. It’s also regularly priced items. The rate itself is up from 700-930 in around a month+. It’s not a lot but not a little either considering our size. Most of the sales happened in the last 2 months. I am seeing feedback daily between 2-4 items. Given the state of the economy, if this is low season, then it’ll be cool to see when things pick up.

There’s several reasons for it to be slower in the PPT market. I was just talking to a shop, they had a rush pre-sin tax and also a lot of people buying new things from the roster.

So I think the market itself isn’t shrinking I think there’s a shift in buying with all the new stuff like the platypus, p365, p320, hellcat, and 2011’s. Eventually those will hit secondary one people want to move things around. This year saw a lot of new things come in as much as people said CA doesn’t it does.
 
When all the offers you get are "low ball", you have to consider that the market has changed and the price your item will actually sell at is a lot lower than you think it is. Its supply and demand. If all the potential buyers value an item lower than before, that means the price has decreased and sellers must adjust accordingly if they want to make a sale.
On another note I notice you have zero feedback for anything bought or sold so your words of wisdom kind of means nothing.
Not trying to be rude in the least but let me put it this way, I sold an AR-15 build a few months ago here for 500.00 where the scope runs 400.00 and the upper 700.00, Dragonhead flash hider 300.00 if one had to buy it today let alone all the trick shyt in the lower.
It was an older build and I bought it for 450.00, all I did was get my money back.
 
Back
Top Bottom