- Messages
- 419
Does that mean you can sell them PPT to someone but also handle the FFL duties? That would be a very funny paperwork sandwich.27........
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
Does that mean you can sell them PPT to someone but also handle the FFL duties? That would be a very funny paperwork sandwich.27........
That's the plan!Does that mean you can sell them PPT to someone but also handle the FFL duties? That would be a very funny paperwork sandwich.
I’m pretty vague on the rules surrounding FFL activities, so I really don’t understand how this works without the transfer to you not looking like a straw man transaction.That's the plan!
It's simple, he purchases 27 as an individual from his business and slowly find out that he doesn't like each one at 5 per yearI’m pretty vague on the rules surrounding FFL activities, so I really don’t understand how this works without the transfer to you not looking like a straw man transaction.
You're a clever man. Well played.That's the plan!
Here is an interesting concept. He cannot sell that many guns PPT because he is a dealer. Except he is a dealer. Can they prosecute you for dealing without a license when you have a license? Probably only because I think we you look at the PPT Penal Code, it might say something about they do not apply to dealer sales. This might be worth looking into. It is more work than I want to perform right this second.It's simple, he purchases 27 as an individual from his business and slowly find out that he doesn't like each one at 5 per year
That’s actually not true about the NM gun. DOJ never issued a bulletin in regards to its C&R status.To my knowledge, DOJ doesn’t care how old stock is. (That’s why CZ is directing a halt to distribution and sales.) They’ll drop the gun from the list and at that moment, notify FFLs that all of those guns are off-Roster. That would appear to put the FFL at complete risk in completing the transfer until a specific identifier of good/bad guns is provided.
All is pure speculation on my part, but a few years ago there was confusion on new Colt National Match pistols being exempted. FFLs were selling them until DOJ quashed it, denied approval of sales and directed FFLs to stop sales and retrieve the guns. (Not sure how successful that retrieval was).
Curious how this will/would work if I was to buy an SP-01 from y'all as a PPT....That's the plan!
Yes! The ATF frowns on this as a type of straw purchase to get around state law.I’m pretty vague on the rules surrounding FFL activities, so I really don’t understand how this works without the transfer to you not looking like a straw man transaction.
Yep. But I have 3 FFLs, one of which is a sole prop so I could if I wanted. I will just sell them as dealer handgun sales till they fall off the roster, and when or if they do they will be in my nameYes! The ATF frowns on this as a type of straw purchase to get around state law.
They’re not gonna raise a stink over a couple pistols but doing a bunch and then PPTing them is potentially dealing without a license especially for corporate owners who are considered employees of the corporation. The state could care less since the CFD is issued to individuals regardless of corporate status of business.
To clarify, I didn’t say DOJ issued a bulletin on the NMs. I said:That’s actually not true about the NM gun. DOJ never issued a bulletin in regards to its C&R status.
More than likely because the DOJ didn’t want to get sued over this.
They just told dealers not to verbally.
Most dealers know that DOJ can screw with you in different ways.
In the CZ issue under discussion, CZ has issued the notice, not DOJ.…DOJ quashed it, denied approval of sales and directed FFLs to stop sales and retrieve the guns.
You can do whatever you wantYep. But I have 3 FFLs, one of which is a sole prop so I could if I wanted. I will just sell them as dealer handgun sales till they fall off the roster, and when or if they do they will be in my name
Yes, I but I never received anything from CZTo clarify, I didn’t say DOJ issued a bulletin on the NMs. I said:
In the CZ issue under discussion, CZ has issued the notice, not DOJ.
Best.
He can always take them into his possession and then place them on consignment at a later date. Avoids the hassle of the PPT limit cap and avoids scrutiny of "acting as a dealer without a license" as a private individual. For all we know, maybe he wanted to make them all cajunized and then at a later date decided he didn't want to invest all that money and just decided to place them on consignment.You can do whatever you want. ATF will tell you it’s a violation because you’re trying to get around state law
Don’t ask me, ask your ATF Rep![]()
Like I said, you can do whatever you want but CFD holders are exempt from the PPT limit anyway. It’s ATF that says we are circumventing the state law by taking let’s say 15 pistols to avoid the state roster requirements.He can always take them into his possession and then place them on consignment at a later date. Avoids the hassle of the PPT limit cap and avoids scrutiny of "acting as a dealer without a license" as a private individual. For all we know, maybe he wanted to make them all cajunized and then at a later date decided he didn't want to invest all that money and just decided to place them on consignment.
But that argument would not apply here as they are currently listed on the roster and no circumvention has occured as of this moment. The fact of the matter is that it's on the roster now and it will continue to be on the roster until the state removes it. I'm not disagreeing that the ATF doesn't like circumvention by a dealer, but I'm pointing out that currently it is not circumvention as it is a rostered and legally sellable pistol as of this moment. He can do as he pleases with them and then offload them at a later date if he decides to.Like I said, you can do whatever you want but CFD holders are exempt from the PPT limit anyway. It’s ATF that says we are circumventing the state law by taking let’s say 15 pistols to avoid the state roster requirements.
Like I said, ask your ATF auditor![]()
I get all that but are the actual guns that are rostered the same ones he has in possession??But that argument would not apply here as they are currently listed on the roster and no circumvention has occured as of this moment. The fact of the matter is that it's on the roster now and it will continue to be on the roster until the state removes it. I'm not disagreeing that the ATF doesn't like circumvention by a dealer, but I'm pointing out that currently it is not circumvention as it is a rostered and legally sellable pistol as of this moment. He can do as he pleases with them and then offload them at a later date if he decides to.
Glock 36 Gen 3 is on the roster too. Are you going to DROS one of those too?But that argument would not apply here as they are currently listed on the roster and no circumvention has occured as of this moment. The fact of the matter is that it's on the roster now and it will continue to be on the roster until the state removes it. I'm not disagreeing that the ATF doesn't like circumvention by a dealer, but I'm pointing out that currently it is not circumvention as it is a rostered and legally sellable pistol as of this moment. He can do as he pleases with them and then offload them at a later date if he decides to.
Just remember one thing. If ATF considers this as a Straw Purchase to circumvent state law in some way and they have a hard on for a particular shop, does that shop want to be opening themselves up to the word “STRAW PURCHASE” in a time where ATF is actively trying to find reasons to shut down FFL’s?But that argument would not apply here as they are currently listed on the roster and no circumvention has occured as of this moment. The fact of the matter is that it's on the roster now and it will continue to be on the roster until the state removes it. I'm not disagreeing that the ATF doesn't like circumvention by a dealer, but I'm pointing out that currently it is not circumvention as it is a rostered and legally sellable pistol as of this moment. He can do as he pleases with them and then offload them at a later date if he decides to.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!