This is why I've narrowed to good governance and administrative law over ideological outsourcing, alongside building out the permitting structure and opening DES. I think that way you can appeal to the broadest swath of Democratic leaning voters. The Dem leaning gun owners need to own this, and the legislators need to feel the heat from their side. Think they give a damn about hearing it from outside their voting base? Unlikely.
Not that I think you lost sleep over this, but I should've prefaced my post with something along the lines of "you're on the right track". Just so we're clear, I wasn't disagreeing with the concept, only some of the specifics.
The big flaw I notice is the belief that there's a large enough contingent of "Dem leaning gun owners" (or any specific subcategory of such) to actually affect any change on legislative attitudes of the current hivemind that runs this state. That's what I was getting at when I said that if you put such-and-such gun owners together with this-and-that gun owners, you still just have plain 'ol gun owners and our numbers are negligible in terms of political pull.
I don't think any of those gun owners backing some alternate issue is going to bring broader appeal to our own cause either. But that's where you're on the right track, because success *does* greatly hinge on broadening our base. But broadening that base has to mean doing so in a way that people with no direct vested interest in the 2A/guns are sympathetic to our position.