18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Answered Off topic?

I agree with HBowman. I found the off topic to be very useful on many different and varied subjects and learned new things daily. However, I never clicked on threads that were started by trolls, attention seekers, or blowhards so I luckily miss most of the drama. I find it very easy to avoid the subjects that are inane and useless.
One thing I do not understand is nothing political unless it is directly 2a related. These days pretty much everything in the American political realm can have significant impacts on the 2A. Harris running for president, an open border bringing in new voters, an appointed Supreme court justice that can't define what a woman is, and DAs that refuse to prosecute criminals can all lead to further restrictions so ignoring seemingly disconnected items doesn't help the cause.

Because one person's commentary is another person's propaganda. It's just like the "just asking questions, man!" sect. And then when someone inevitably goes over the line, and a mod is forced to act....just watch the butt-hurt flow. Lose-lose all around. And if we're picking nits, your post could be considered low-key posting the exact kind of stuff they've been clear is not welcome here.

Now, if people were to ask for, say, a separate political sub-forum where politics outside of the 2A can be discussed, maybe that's something the head honcho(s?) can take under consideration.

What we need to accept and be at peace with is, we can't expect (and shouldn't be asking for) this place to be a carbon copy of calguns.
 
Because one person's commentary is another person's propaganda. It's just like the "just asking questions, man!" sect. And then when someone inevitably goes over the line, and a mod is forced to act....just watch the butt-hurt flow. Lose-lose all around. And if we're picking nits, your post could be considered low-key posting the exact kind of stuff they've been clear is not welcome here.

Now, if people were to ask for, say, a separate political sub-forum where politics outside of the 2A can be discussed, maybe that's something the head honcho(s?) can take under consideration.

What we need to accept and be at peace with is, we can't expect (and shouldn't be asking for) this place to be a carbon copy of calguns.
Certainly not intended that way but I'll refrain from any more commentary as I'm not trying to skirt the rules.
 
However, I never clicked on threads that were started by trolls, attention seekers, or blowhards so I luckily miss most of the drama. I find it very easy to avoid the subjects that are inane and useless.
You're lucky. I was just in a conversation there and holy $#!. It really makes me not want to bring OT and the characters they have here and I'm way less motivated to fix CGN. I offered to buy the site after gaining some experience and not getting a single response and all of a sudden i'm attempting a coup, with TDS, and a Harris lover... rofl. Jeez man.

Yep, nope. Not having it.. We'll go without it a bit longer. @DrJonesUSA can possibly get it going. I'm definitely reconsidering my offer. I have another business I'm working on. I don't want/need a bunch of drama. I want to help train educate people in 2A. I think that's becoming clearer for me now

Tim And Eric Reaction GIF
 
Certainly not intended that way but I'll refrain from any more commentary as I'm not trying to skirt the rules.

I didn't mean to imply you were, but I think you can see the "slippery slope" there. I'm a nobody here, but I can appreciate having a place to land. And because calguns 💩s the bed twice daily and I'm running out of patience with kestryll and his inability/unwillingness to do what needs to be done to make the place work, I don't want to have the welcome mat yanked out from under us.
 
You're lucky. I was just in a conversation there and holy $#!. It really makes me not want to bring OT and the characters they have here and I'm way less motivated to fix CGN. I offered to buy the site after gaining some experience and not getting a single response and all of a sudden i'm attempting a coup, with TDS, and a Harris lover... rofl. Jeez man.

Yep, nope. Not having it.. We'll go without it a bit longer. @DrJonesUSA can possibly get it going. I'm definitely reconsidering my offer. I have another business I'm working on. I don't want/need a bunch of drama. I want to help train educate people in 2A. I think that's becoming clearer for me now

Tim And Eric Reaction GIF

I'm reading though all that and just shaking my head and thinking "Wait, why is anyone trying to save this!?"
 
You're lucky. I was just in a conversation there and holy $#!. It really makes me not want to bring OT and the characters they have here and I'm way less motivated to fix CGN. I offered to buy the site after gaining some experience and not getting a single response and all of a sudden i'm attempting a coup, with TDS, and a Harris lover... rofl. Jeez man.

Yep, nope. Not having it.. We'll go without it a bit longer. @DrJonesUSA can possibly get it going. I'm definitely reconsidering my offer. I have another business I'm working on. I don't want/need a bunch of drama. I want to help train educate people in 2A. I think that's becoming clearer for me now

Exactly, you don't want OT drama here. If I got a nickel for evertime some schmuck on calguns accused me of TDS, I'd be a billionaire. You don't want those characters to come here. And they will if there is an OT. Like I said before, OT is a playground for trolls. Sure, there are a few good people trying to share actual knowledge like ASRocketman and his Ukraine thread. But those few good people are totally mauled by the trolls.
 
Never wallow with a pig in the mud because you get dirty and the pig likes it. If we disagree politically, I doubt there's anything we can type into a screen on the internet to change each other's minds.

Also reminds me of the late, great Carlin (originally Twain):

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll just drag you down to his level and beat you over the head with experience!"
 
Oh, good god....
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20240910_193922_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240910_193922_Chrome.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 14
I Saw there is a members channel but it said ‘no posts yet’ so I wasn’t sure if that was it.

CGN off topic was a great resource once you filtered through the bacon and spatula noise.
More timely info posted about current events than any news station. I miss that.
And of course the mall armor recommendations, poker game tips or grave digging updates.
To be fair, that CGN ship long sailed too.
I think there’s value in current events though.. but we just have to gate it so it doesn’t devolve. The fires is one such event I think is ok
 
The freeway shooting that just happened in KY is another good example. In the old days of CG, there'd be 20 people with current and better than news info about it. Now, hard to find anything at all.
 
I think there’s value in current events though.. but we just have to gate it so it doesn’t devolve. The fires is one such event I think is ok


Maybe instead of "off topic" we need a "current events" subforum with a caveat/hard warning that political banter/soapboxing is not permitted.
 
The freeway shooting that just happened in KY is another good example. In the old days of CG, there'd be 20 people with current and better than news info about it. Now, hard to find anything at all.

I think that's where reddit kind of picks up the slack for this site, but reddit's format gives me agita.
 
Why bring in something that the general consensus is “yeah a small percentage helped but most of it was noise”?

We have Reddit and other forums for that. Don’t bring that here (off topic).

It’s like a license to be a troll because of the more relaxed rules of the off topic forum.

No no no. We don’t need off topic. What we have so far is great! Do we want to be a “clone” of CG? No. We want to be unique.

I love the current forums. Not to throw shade but it seems that the transplants are the ones that want off topic.

Like when an out of towner comes to your town and says “in my city, the x was wayyyy better!” Well then go back to your city if it’s that great.

We are not a clone of the other site.

My .02 and censor this is you like mods, but I keep seeing the “off topic” topic come up more and more and that’s troublesome.
 
It’s very simple: if you don’t want to participate, you are not being forced to even enter that part of the forum. It’s like watching television; you don’t have to watch a channel you don’t like.
 
It’s very simple: if you don’t want to participate, you are not being forced to even enter that part of the forum. It’s like watching television; you don’t have to watch a channel you don’t like.
i think current events will fit the bill. It’s amazing that those guys would rather let the ship sink than have someone else talk about working together.

I admit I got a bit frustrated, and I can see all the warnings I’ve been told. Lol

I can also see why it’s a guilty pleasure, but I think I’ll table my offer. It was pretty off putting so those guys can be happy and I can focus else where. We won’t have an OT section. We’re not trying to replace CG. This is an addition to the 2A community.

Current events I think can be OT lite where we can hear about things like the fire from people on the ground where we might be able to contribute or notify others.
 
Back
Top Bottom