18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

One gun for everything, forever.

The S&W Model 29-3 is the best “one gun forever” because it truly does everything. You get .44 Magnum power for hunting and wilderness protection, and .44 Special for easy, accurate shooting. It’s ultra-reliable, simple, and built to last generations with no magazines or fragile parts to worry about.

Why it’s the best:

Powerful but versatile (.44 Mag + .44 Special)

Extremely reliable and simple

Long-term durability—heirloom quality

Accurate with one of the best triggers ever made

Works for defense, hunting, survival, and everyday carry outdoors

It’s the one gun that can handle every job for the rest of your life.
 
He hard to argue a 12guage shotgun. You have a variety of ammo selection from bird shot to slugs.

Covers defense to survival situations by changing from buckshot to slugs or birdshot. It will keep you fed and safe. Pump action is reliable and simple.
 
Torn between P226 in 9 and G19. Definitely prefer the P226, but the ubiquity of the G19 makes it a slightly more practical pick…no, never mind, P226 it is!

I'm choosing a DA/SA with a decocker.

The west german p226 is one of my all time favorite guns and is right up with the hk P2000.
 
Easy: Glock 19 for the reasons mentioned by plenty of other people. I love my shotguns, but I’d want something I can carry around in my day to day if I could only have one gun.
 
This is an old blade forum thread for a knife. I thought it was terrible at first, but the more I think on it, I believe everyone should pick one to rule them all.

So…what’s your gun if you could only have one?

I’ll go first. Mine is a double barrel 12 gauge, side by side. Favorite to shoot and also extremely versatile. I have an adapter set to make it shoot many different calibers. Obviously not good for ccw or extended combat applications, but imo it’s the best all around.

Only one. Let me know.
For me, glock 48 Gen 5, I can CCW it, is slim, slides and such are cool, make it into a 43x if I want to shoot worse.
 
No one has proposed the .50 BMG?

Marksmanship exercises aside, the ultimate purpose of a firearm is to create terminal effect. Few - if any - calibers can rival the .50 BMG.

If deterrence of neer-do-wells is the objective, bigger guns inspire greater awe and respect.

If you find yourself in a survival situation a .50 BMG can bring down an Elk from the next County, while simultaneously signalling to all within a 10 mile radius your location for rescue.

The shock effects alone from discharge can clear avalanche hazards and congested sinuses across the zip code.

Get thou a .50 BMG. Or in California a .50 DTC 'cause... Yeah.
 
Only one gun to rule them all? I would probably take an MP5 or MP5K. It’s small enough to be concealed, very accurate, built like a tank, extremely reliable, easy suppressor host, you look badass while doing it and it’s not an ugly ass Glock. Haha. So yeah, MP5 all the way.
 
I'd have to say the correct answer is model 47 medusa but good luck obtaining one .. lol

And this is why the military standardizes equipment.

I'm my universe you'd all be getting AR10's in 6.5creedmoor and a 9mm DA/SA pistol. Complainers get a bonus shovel for digging the trenches!
 
The S&W Model 29-3 is the best “one gun forever” because it truly does everything. You get .44 Magnum power for hunting and wilderness protection, and .44 Special for easy, accurate shooting. It’s ultra-reliable, simple, and built to last generations with no magazines or fragile parts to worry about.

Why it’s the best:

Powerful but versatile (.44 Mag + .44 Special)

Extremely reliable and simple

Long-term durability—heirloom quality

Accurate with one of the best triggers ever made

Works for defense, hunting, survival, and everyday carry outdoors

It’s the one gun that can handle every job for the rest of your life.
Cost and availability biggest con that makes 12g just as functional for all forms of hunting, more accurate while being cost effective and widely available
 
It will s also heavily depends on where you live.

For city handgun makes sense. Somewhere out there a rifle.
 
It will s also heavily depends on where you live.

For city handgun makes sense. Somewhere out there a rifle.

It's a tough choice and if this was a real thing, I'd prioritize the rifle, AR15 specifically. I wrote pistol earlier and if this was real there's no way I'd limit myself to 25-yard effective range not knowing what the future holds.

History shows us the value of the rifle and today that rifle here in the US is the AR15. It's also why our government wants to ban it.
 
I see a lot of people based their choices on a SHTF TEOTWAWKI situation which was not specified by OP. While that might be an important consideration I based my choice on what I like to shoot the most and what I would be happy with shooting forever if I could only have one. Thats why I choose a SCAR17 or M1 rifle. I like many types of firearms and cartridges. But If I could only have one, I could be happy with either of those.

While something like a Glock or .22 or shotgun might be more practical in certain SHTF scenarios, Id get really phuckin bored if thats all I could have.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom