18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Overthinking what to get. 9MM PX4, PDP, Echelon, SA1911 Target, or SA EMP 3"?

The only two issues with the EMP were wife and daughter had FTE/FTF due to limp wristing. Once firmed up, no problems.

Other issue is the springs on my magazines are tight, making 9+1 awkward. So, I've loaded nine, racked and settled for one less.
When I've tried to drop the mag, load one and reinsert, not the best results. Straight nine? No problems.

Shoots straighter than it's owner. Hundreds of rounds through it. Lastly, I am not a clean freak, so it can handle low-end 9mm and keep spitting.
It just looks amazing, I am going to look at them in person tomorrow. Seems fun, but if I end up wanting to range shoot more I am wondering if I will miss the few extra inches.....haha.
 
I had the PDP and liked it so much i got a steel frame match one. The trigger, like you heard, is the best stock striker fired trigger. I prefer heavier guns, and the PDP Steel frame match is a perfect fit for me.
Probably going to make the rental list, I want to feel the trigger and see what the muzzle flip is like.
 
It is true that a metal/alloy framed firearm has a different feel to a polymer one. 1911 Target in 9mm would be fun you'd have to compromise with techniques for home defense with regards to lights. This isn't a big deal though.

I would personally go with the Echelon if you are looking for something that dont need to put a lot of money into. Otherwise a PX4 storm in 9mm is a great option for HD. Has a rail for WMLs and sights can be changed.

Personally, I'd look into renting out whatever you want to shoot. It is cheaper than buying all the options and then potentially reselling them if you don't like em.
I probably would have already but it seems like I am a liitle late to the party for the deal. Gun with cheap optic and extra mags...everyone who has a good price is out of stock, whoever has any wants more....but I am going to shoot it and a 1911 and the PX4 just seems "special" but not very popular.
 
I like the PX4 personally. No need to send it to LTT, just get their Trigger Job in a Bag and be done. I have it on my 92 and it is one of the best triggers of anything in my safe, hands down. The only issue with the PX4 is that it’s not as popular as some newer platforms so accessories may be harder to find.
Yeah, at this point, I have to try one.
 
I'm not sure where you're located, but Discount Gun Mart in San Diego (Morena location) has most, if not all of these. I know because I rented basically everything you listed, but between both of their locations since I have a membership. Nice thing about them is you only pay one rental fee. You can just turn in one option for another.
In terms of shooting experience for me personally:
PDP is easily the best shooter. I know a lot of people say they switch out the trigger, but I see absolutely no need to, especially for just a home defense/range toy. It is my my best out of the box pistol I own. I liked it so much I got the compact and full size. The only reason I don't have multiples is because it is a little too chunky to carry which is disappointing since it shoots for well
PX4 storm I rented and did not like which surprised me based on all the videos I saw. Recoil impulse was good, but just not for me
1911 9mm (they had the loaded target) another one that I thought I'd like but after renting it wasn't as good of an experience as I was expecting
EMP was "hardest" to shoot. Very slippery and even with changing grip multiple times, not a good experience. I know there's a ton of options out there for grips so maybe that would help
M&P is my favorite overall pistol. Yes it shoots slightly worse than the PDP for me, but it has the best mix of ergos, shootability, easy to carry, readily available parts and magazines. I have 5 different variations because I like them so much
Echelon is also great. I like the ability to customize with them having the COG. As they get more popular there will just be more and more options available to customize if that's your thing. I rank it 3rd though on the list of PDP, M&P, and Echelon.
Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it helps point you in a certain direction. Or if you're in San Diego, go rent them and see for yourself.
exactly why I posted, your comment. Not too long, it's just how I think. I most likely won't ever get concealed carry license here in CA, so mostly range and home. I want to shoot the S&W 2.0 full size. Have you ever shot a 1911 you liked?
 
Has anyone posted ‘just get them all’ yet? Haha!!

FWIW, I’m a huge fan of the PX4 (really too bad they didn’t become more popular), the PDP, and M&P 2.0.

But @bryanwm18 suggestion to rent them all is a good one. Way less money to rent than to buy a gun you end up not liking.
Probably what I am going to do.
 
The 1911 will have the best trigger by far but is very different from the others, I would hold and dry fire them all to see what tickles you. In terms of shootability/accuracy, the most important factor is how the gun fits your hands - more important than the trigger.

To me the EMP seems silly; if you want to carry, you get the small size but it’s heavy and you still get the crap shootability of a small gun (snappy, walking around in your hands). I would go full size if you want a 1911.

Echelon has modularity so you can update the grip module to fit you better; I also upgraded mine to a tyrant trigger and prp spring kit and the trigger is way better than an upgraded glock or stock M&P/PDP (I have no experience with upgraded M&P/PDP triggers but the stock one is about on par with the stock echelon imo). Option for a factory comp on the Echelon is cool too. If you go PDP or M&P I would get the metal frame version as it would shoot way softer for range/competition/HD. If carrying, go with another option.

I love Glocks and shoot my G19 really well, but there are better options nowadays. A polish and “-“ connector will help the trigger but still no where near the trigger of m&p or echelon or PDP. Sorry no knowledge of PX4.

OR tell us what your grail gun is, save up, and get that! I have a DWC compact in jail right now and it feels like it’s F-ing CHRISTMAS I’m giddy with excitement lol
Well I am not planning on carry, but will take it places to range and plink. Prob out on the EMP already, maybe just for fun one day, but not this day yet. If the next size up were CA legal I might. Right now my grail gun is probably a SS Sig 1911 but I don't want it to be this gun because I don't want to pay to shoot 45 as much as I plan on shooting this 9mm.
 
If the Echelon Comp is what you are referring to in your title, its the best of the bunch. Less snap across the span of choice, and its FCU based so much more choice for modifying to make it work for you. I have about 10 options in my safe to compare it to, and bang for buck it is top shelf in all the right categories.

I have the 4 and the 4.5 comp'd with the Sharp Bros set up. Pretty hard to beat it.
I was thinking not comp model only because I hear they are more work to clean, but it sounds like a fun range choice.
 
You're listing some very different pistols. You've identified a primary goal of home defence, which is one step ahead of many folks; so that presumably means it doesn't need to be compact and easy to conceal, and since full size pistols tend to be softer shooting and easier to shoot accurately that may be a win.

Beyond that, not sure I'd want a really light trigger for a home defense pistol. Imagine, something goes bump at 3:00 am, you're groggy, the adrenalin is pumping, and you've got your finger on a 4-lb race gun trigger, that may not always end well. Maybe you've got a new hole to repair in the drywall and some explaining to do and hopefully no nearby neighbor in that direction.

Of what you list I can speak from experience on the PDP. Nice trigger but a bit on the light side in my opinion, and it is not a soft recoiling pistol. Fast recoil, which can be a plus for a competition pistol which the PDP excels at, but it takes some training to get used to. I also have some older 1911 experience, not the same brands (mine is a Colt Series 70) but again, nice trigger, but best for target work, light and crisp. A safety is a personal preference, some like it and some don't, either way it again requires some training of muscle memory if you're not already experienced with it.

Other questions: Do you want the ability to mount a light? Or an optic? The answers may narrow the choices. Then yes, try to shoot them first if practical. What feels good in the hand doesn't always work best on the range.
Hopefully I am shooting this much more at the range than at home, but it will be the one I reach for if needed. So yeah, everything I have been looking at is 4" or bigger. As for "light" trigger. My old Glock was fine in terms of pull, it's a few of my friends guns I have shot over the years that were so hard to pull that I was shaking and it just seemed like if the trigger was lighter than that I would have shot it much better. I don't know how light is light other than the glock I shot. Any other gun was all over the board, some hard, some soft, I wasn't taking notes when I shot them and wish I would have. I certainly don't want accidental double shots, but I believe if I did have to react that I would prefer my trigger pull to be easy enough that I don't shake anymore than I will probably already be. I have only shot guns with typical sights, never shot any optic gun, never shot a gun loaded with accessories, but it would seem smart to set this up as the best home defense pistol I can get in terms of light/dot/optics if they will still allow for fun range sessions.
 
PX4 is an expensive gun to own for what it is if you want all the bells and whistles. It's not optics ready, so you'll probablh want to get it cut by LTT. You'll probably want all the LTT goodies as well. You probably want to change the decocker to low profile. Unfortunately the low profile decocker makes the gun decocker-only. Would've loved to have a low profile decocker/safety. I also have a vantage point armory comp and an x300 for it.

That being said I love the way the thing shoots. Definitely a hipster's gun.
I don't care if it is ugly, it just makes me want it, but a pain to get it the way I might want it, and probably cost more than buying the gun itself. I am going to shoot one at least.
 
well the Glock was the 💩tiest, roughest trigger when i got it but I broke it down and cleand up the pieces and it got much better. I am putting renting a 1911 on the list for sure. I kind of want to get away from a Glock just because I had one already, even though they are probably much improved over the past 18 years. The legion seems heavy when I see the weight on paper, but looks pretty awesome. Sig 1911 would be awesome for me, but out of my $ range for this one, and same for the Italian beauty....one day.
LOVE my sig 1911's. there are decent deals out there, RIA is nice as well., it outshot the SA loaded I had picked up and that was surprising to me
 
I can narrow down your list pretty fast: get something optic ready it's better in every way to shoot with a red dot. That leaves like three choices
 
exactly why I posted, your comment. Not too long, it's just how I think. I most likely won't ever get concealed carry license here in CA, so mostly range and home. I want to shoot the S&W 2.0 full size. Have you ever shot a 1911 you liked?
I have not shot a 1911 I liked, but that's only been 2 so not much in terms of experience there
Mainly the grip is thinner than I'd like and just not natural to me, they felt slippery and like the gun wanted to turn when I was shooting. I'm sure there are aftermarket grips that would help, but I'm not really into tinkering so not interested in that (but you may be)
I have shot and own a couple of 2011s (double stack 1911s, though many point out they aren't real 1911s) and I absolutely love them. My Fusion XP Pro is my favorite and it takes Glock mags so that's nice
My HD gun is the PDP full size though because it is my easiest/most natural shooter
M&P has been my go to carry gun
Another long one, but hopefully helpful to you
And hell, if you're ever in San Diego and want to try a variety I'm happy to oblige at my local range
 
I have medium men's hands, have you shot all 9 as fast as you can an experienced any crawl out of your hand? I read multiple posts across web mentioning this. One said it was so bad he ruled that gun out as ever being a pistol he would want in protecting his life. If you can't grip it, it's not the gun for you.
Read all that I could find at the time. What you describe is exactly why I decided on the EMP over other pistols. The others required focus that I did not have to expend when using the EMP. Nor have I had a problem with the extractor. For it's size, it is heavy...metal. For pure home defense, probably the SA full size 9mm. I assume I'd welcome the longer barrel.

I have a SIg Sauer P238. Have read others with woeful descriptions of their shooting experience. I have none. Did put a Hogue grip on it and the extended mag feels more comfortable but, in the end, I shoot it more accurately in any configuration.

Since I frequent a range that has a 'free' rental program (with membership) I was able to discern what fit me. Tried everything. Berettas are so nice looking. Glocks raw simplicity. Name brand appeal of S&Ws.

In the end, went with what worked for me. The price was hefty. But as a sales guy said,

"Well you could get this and change the trigger or that and add night sights or...."

I bought the EMP. Cry once.
 
Well I am not planning on carry, but will take it places to range and plink. Prob out on the EMP already, maybe just for fun one day, but not this day yet. If the next size up were CA legal I might. Right now my grail gun is probably a SS Sig 1911 but I don't want it to be this gun because I don't want to pay to shoot 45 as much as I plan on shooting this 9mm.
Why the Sig specifically? You could always get a 9mm 1911 full size, there’s at least one on roster (Springfield and maybe Kimber?)
 
well the Glock was the 💩tiest, roughest trigger when i got it but I broke it down and cleand up the pieces and it got much better. I am putting renting a 1911 on the list for sure. I kind of want to get away from a Glock just because I had one already, even though they are probably much improved over the past 18 years. The legion seems heavy when I see the weight on paper, but looks pretty awesome. Sig 1911 would be awesome for me, but out of my $ range for this one, and same for the Italian beauty....one day.
If it’s just a range toy or HD gun, weight is good. Mitigates recoil
 
. I most likely won't ever get concealed carry license here in CA, so mostly range and home.
This is what I thought for years. Then 2 months ago, I decided what the hell I want one and put in an app online; I’ve been carrying every day for a few weeks now. Easy to get; I should’ve done it years ago and you should too!
 
Back
Top Bottom