18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

S&W Bodyguard 2.0 Non-Comp Quick Range Report

I just rewatched it again, his concern is that when the safety is 30-40% moved towards “off” the gun is capable of firing.

Please explain what I missed. I’ve got about 400 rounds through my BG 2.0, it’s working perfectly. If there’s a problem, I want to know what it is.
Watch the video to the end. He also says he’d gladly buy it without that part since he doesn’t use it but removing it is illegal in his county. Why did you buy it then? And with a compensator in .380, of all things?
 
Watch the video to the end. He also says he’d gladly buy it without that part since he doesn’t use it but removing it is illegal in his county. Why did you buy it then? And with a compensator in .380, of all things?
Because he spent his own money to buy whatever was available on the shelf? Cant think of any other reason
 
Because he spent his own money to buy whatever was available on the shelf? Cant think of any other reason
Oh, yes - there’s a different reason 100%. He’s a famous blogger. It went from chasing hype to a lawsuit with S&W. Long story short: it’s about the money.
 
Oh, yes - there’s a different reason 100%. He’s a famous blogger. It went from chasing hype to a lawsuit with S&W. Long story short: it’s about the money.
The only lawsuit he involved, that I’m aware of, is May vs Bonta, CA sensitive places.
Can you share more info about his lawsuit against SW?
 
Is there a suit against S&W over this?

S&W is bringing a lot to CA. Until the idiotic roster is dumped (if that ever happens..) we need more companies to support CA through the annoying regulatory tyranny. The BG2.0 is a good one, safety or no safety, for a borderline mouse gun it works really well. I was thinking about a G42, but the BG pretty much obsoletes it, 10/12 rounds vs 6 is huge, and being able to buy it new at retail vs used with the PPT up charge makes it a easy choice.
 
Is there a suit against S&W over this?

S&W is bringing a lot to CA. Until the idiotic roster is dumped (if that ever happens..) we need more companies to support CA through the annoying regulatory tyranny. The BG2.0 is a good one, safety or no safety, for a borderline mouse gun it works really well. I was thinking about a G42, but the BG pretty much obsoletes it, 10/12 rounds vs 6 is huge, and being able to buy it new at retail vs used with the PPT up charge makes it a easy choice.
I searched and used ChatGPT, and couldn’t find ANY lawsuits or class actions against S&W regarding BG2.0.
 
Is there a suit against S&W over this?

S&W is bringing a lot to CA. Until the idiotic roster is dumped (if that ever happens..) we need more companies to support CA through the annoying regulatory tyranny. The BG2.0 is a good one, safety or no safety, for a borderline mouse gun it works really well. I was thinking about a G42, but the BG pretty much obsoletes it, 10/12 rounds vs 6 is huge, and being able to buy it new at retail vs used with the PPT up charge makes it a easy choice.
While its really nice to have more and some newer guns.
I actually completely disagree and I think they should actually do the opposite and not pay the state the extortion fee and have to make CA specific guns.
If every company refused to do that and file legal action instead I would think the roster would fail much sooner
 
nice range report. thank you. was thinking of getting a comp’d one as well and congrats in the pew
 
While its really nice to have more and some newer guns.
I actually completely disagree and I think they should actually do the opposite and not pay the state the extortion fee and have to make CA specific guns.
If every company refused to do that and file legal action instead I would think the roster would fail much sooner

I agree with your logic, and I’d be more than happy to stop buying guns if it would help force the issue. But the time frames for a case to work its way through the courts is so long, and since I’m 61, I have no faith in ever seeing the decisions while I’m still alive and able to shoot..

Its like planting a tree that I’ll never see big enough to enjoy the shade..

California has become an evil place in too many ways.
 
Here is a table showing shooting results at 15 yards with this pistol using various types of ammunition. Don't thank me, and don't ask where I got it...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6026.webp
    IMG_6026.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 21
It might come as a surprise, but the lighter the bullet, the lighter and softer the recoil. Even those who only shoot 9mm can compare 147-grain and 115-grain FMJ rounds. The difference is very noticeable! :)
Um..not necessarily.

The perceived or "felt" recoil in lighter bullets can feel harsher and sharper (snappy) vs heavier bullets, which tend to produce a slower, heavier push. Total recoil is based on the conservation of momentum (ejecting the bullet forward pushes the gun backward). Lighter bullets have less mass, they generally generate less total rearward force but to achieve comparable power, light bullets are usually driven at much higher velocities which ramps the recoil back up.

There's a combination of factors that make up felt recoil, including weight of the gun, bore axis, and grip.
 
Um..not necessarily.

The perceived or "felt" recoil in lighter bullets can feel harsher and sharper (snappy) vs heavier bullets, which tend to produce a slower, heavier push. Total recoil is based on the conservation of momentum (ejecting the bullet forward pushes the gun backward). Lighter bullets have less mass, they generally generate less total rearward force but to achieve comparable power, light bullets are usually driven at much higher velocities which ramps the recoil back up.

There's a combination of factors that make up felt recoil, including weight of the gun, bore axis, and grip.
This is how I understand it too. A 115gr bullet feels snappier due to the higher velocity vs. a 124gr or 147gr bullet. I prefer 124 over 115 for this reason.
 
You could be right, I’ll check mine out too. But what I was thinking the concern was is the effort to move the safety towards “off” actually shut it off, and I think that’s perfect.
I checked mine. What I found is you can't activate safety 80-90%, it's either on or off. However if you apply pressure on safety switch while its up, and it moves just as little as 1/8" down trigger will fire.
So yea, pocket carry without holster is not a good idea
 
For the record:
My BG2.0 is heading back to S&W for warranty work. I found a crack/seam that was most likely formed during the injection molding process near the serial number plate of the frame. It's not a newly formed damage, but it should be looked at by the manufacturer. I'm also asking them to check the feed ramp (hard to feed HP) and rear sight (very slightly off to the right) while they have the gun.

The sad thing is that if they determine the frame must be replaced, the serial number will change so I need to go through DROS again and amend the CCW permit after all is done, which really sucks. S&W customer support has been very attentive and I'm hearing the support itself is quite good, but I'm definitely feeling the S&W's notorious QC issues, which have been preventing me from getting a J-frame for a long while now... (every time I see one I want to buy at FFL, it has some sort of QC issues)

I still think the BG2.0 is the best carry gun for my environment, and I'm hoping the trip to the mothership will sort everything out. I'll resume my ammo test once I get it back.
 
For the record:
My BG2.0 is heading back to S&W for warranty work. I found a crack/seam that was most likely formed during the injection molding process near the serial number plate of the frame. It's not a newly formed damage, but it should be looked at by the manufacturer. I'm also asking them to check the feed ramp (hard to feed HP) and rear sight (very slightly off to the right) while they have the gun.

The sad thing is that if they determine the frame must be replaced, the serial number will change so I need to go through DROS again and amend the CCW permit after all is done, which really sucks. S&W customer support has been very attentive and I'm hearing the support itself is quite good, but I'm definitely feeling the S&W's notorious QC issues, which have been preventing me from getting a J-frame for a long while now... (every time I see one I want to buy at FFL, it has some sort of QC issues)

I still think the BG2.0 is the best carry gun for my environment, and I'm hoping the trip to the mothership will sort everything out. I'll resume my ammo test once I get it back.
Sorry you have QC issues with BG, and sucks you'll have to go through DROS and quals again. What a headache and unnecessary expenses
 
My understanding is that you'll be able to submit manufacturer's paperwork that indicates the serial number change to your IA, and you can skip the qual. This will be up to the IA tho. You'll be still out for DROS cost and wait period, plus of course the IA side of wait time and possibly a fee? I believe SFPD won't have any fees, but I'll be out for DROS cost, transit time + warranty turnaround + 10 day DROS jail time + and additional permit amend time (I can only initiate this after DROS is done).

Definitely a benefit of FCU based pistols.
 
Could you please explain the procedure for sending a firearm to the manufacturer? After exchanging emails, they told you to send the gun in. However, you aren't even allowed to enter the post office (or their office) with it. So, how is this handled, and who covers the cost? Thanks.
 
Could you please explain the procedure for sending a firearm to the manufacturer? After exchanging emails, they told you to send the gun in. However, you aren't even allowed to enter the post office (or their office) with it. So, how is this handled, and who covers the cost? Thanks.
Warranty work is allowed direct from the customer to the manufacturer, but it’s just safer in the current state of things to have your local FFL send it and receive it. More hassle, but the alternative is worse.
 
Technically, S&W can and would get you a prepaid label for Fedex, but I didn't want to deal with all the headaches at Fedex Office, return shipping, etc. S&W will work directly with FFL and get them prepaid label for warranty work. At least my FFL (Elite Armory Castro Valley, where I got the BG2.0 from) is not charging me anything, and handling the sending and receiving for me. I'll be just out for DROS cost if S&W ends up replacing the frame, however.

Just for the record, the crack/seam is virtually undetectable from the outside, and I wouldn't ding my FFL for not catching this (or myself, really, when I was buying). It is on S&W QC for sure, but I'll wait and see how their support/warranty handles this.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom