18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

S&W Bodyguard 2.0 Non-Comp Quick Range Report

Technically, S&W can and would get you a prepaid label for Fedex, but I didn't want to deal with all the headaches at Fedex Office, return shipping, etc. S&W will work directly with FFL and get them prepaid label for warranty work. At least my FFL (Elite Armory Castro Valley, where I got the BG2.0 from) is not charging me anything, and handling the sending and receiving for me. I'll be just out for DROS cost if S&W ends up replacing the frame, however.

Just for the record, the crack/seam is virtually undetectable from the outside, and I wouldn't ding my FFL for not catching this (or myself, really, when I was buying). It is on S&W QC for sure, but I'll wait and see how their support/warranty handles this.
Assuming this is an on-roster CA compliant model or that you're not otherwise roster exempt?
 
It is on-roster version. Would have been even more complicated if it wasn't, I assume.
Yah, that’s why I was asking. IIRC off roster replacement of the actual serialized part of the firearm isn’t possible if you’re not also roster exempt. I’ve heard enough stories of people being F-ed, essentially.
 
I’ve returned a revolver to S&W for warranty work a couple of months ago. Easy peasy. They send you a prepaid label, you package it, take it to a fed ex hub, notify them it’s a firearm. They print a secondary 2day label and that’s that. They return by FedEx adult signature required
 
I have a question for the long-time residents: why do you put up with this roster system without ever mentioning that Schwarzenegger essentially introduced it around 2010–2011? It’s unique to California and completely insane! As far as I know, this kind of nonsense doesn't exist anywhere else. It’s the wealthiest state can’t the problem be solved?
 
I want to thank you and this forum for this opportunity. I had different information. Still... people in California aren't slaves how did this even happen? I’m talking about the roster. I can understand the rules regarding magazine capacity, suppressors, and full-auto fire that’s a different debate. But the roster... and don't even get me started on microchips in firing pins thank God for that.
 
I’ve returned a revolver to S&W for warranty work a couple of months ago. Easy peasy. They send you a prepaid label, you package it, take it to a fed ex hub, notify them it’s a firearm. They print a secondary 2day label and that’s that. They return by FedEx adult signature required
I think, from what I gather, if you reasonably believe the warranty work can be done without the serialized part getting replaced, and you have access to a FedEx hub (not regular Office, which will likely reject firearms as per their policy), I think that's a viable route.

If it's likely to get the serialized part replaced, then it's probably better/smoother to start the whole thing through an FFL as the firearm (which is now considered a new firearm with a new serial) has to be transferred to an FFL for a brand new DROS, and some FFLs might charge a brand new transfer fee, and you'll likely have to deal with more headaches having 3-party (you, FFL, and S&W) coordination.

It took some extra time and effort to get going, my FFL is handling everything, and my worst-case scenario is just being $37.19 out for DROS (plus time and gas for FFL trips). And I don't have to deal with any of the transit hassle, so I'll likely do this route if something like this happens again in the future.

I guess, for me, more reasons to buy locally, build relationships with your FFL, and unfortunately, stay within the roster to reduce headaches, at least for the practical "tool" guns for SD/HD. And well, again, having an FCU architecture is a good thing in this regard.
 
I want to thank you and this forum for this opportunity. I had different information. Still... people in California aren't slaves how did this even happen? I’m talking about the roster. I can understand the rules regarding magazine capacity, suppressors, and full-auto fire that’s a different debate. But the roster... and don't even get me started on microchips in firing pins thank God for that.
I suggest you do a search and check out the many discussions regarding the Roster.

Meanwhile, let's please keep this thread focused on the BG.

Thank you 👍🏼😎
 
Regarding this, I never understood why it was such a problem to simply add a disconnect magazine to this model. But now that I’ve seen how they’ve butchered it, I’ve lost all desire to buy it.
 
I worked with my BG today to see where the safety lets go, found it’s a pressure on the safety lever thing as much as a position thing. The first bit of movement is relatively easy/light pressure. As I moved it farther the pressure required ramps up substantially, once the pressure ramps up and the lever is roughly parallel with the slide, the trigger will work. A tiny bit more pressure and the safety snaps into the fire position.

I’ve never tried this test on a handgun before, my revolvers and Glocks don’t have this issue..

From a safety perspective, I have no issue with how the BG 2.0 safety works. It takes a lot of pressure to get it moving, so I don’t think the safety will change position without a conscious effort, given good handling techniques (no pocket carry without holster).

IMO, the video was just looking for clicks, and since I watched it several times, I think it worked..
 
I worked with my BG today to see where the safety lets go, found it’s a pressure on the safety lever thing as much as a position thing. The first bit of movement is relatively easy/light pressure. As I moved it farther the pressure required ramps up substantially, once the pressure ramps up and the lever is roughly parallel with the slide, the trigger will work. A tiny bit more pressure and the safety snaps into the fire position.

I’ve never tried this test on a handgun before, my revolvers and Glocks don’t have this issue..

From a safety perspective, I have no issue with how the BG 2.0 safety works. It takes a lot of pressure to get it moving, so I don’t think the safety will change position without a conscious effort, given good handling techniques (no pocket carry without holster).

IMO, the video was just looking for clicks, and since I watched it several times, I think it worked..
Looks like your experience was different from mine. Just a little pressure on the safety will allow trigger to be pulled, which is exactly what Reno was saying. If you have it in the pocket without holster, especially with keys, loose change and whatnot .. you might p320 yourself.
I personally would never carry without holster, hence no issues for me. But there are people who do
 
The BG 2.0 is the first handgun I own with a manual safety lever, is this one substantially different than most? I’ve shot many guns with a safety, by my memory, they were all larger levers and easier to move. Is that consistent with your experience?

I’d never pocket carry with a loaded chamber and without a holster. No judgement if anyone does that, but it’s not for me.

I’ll manipulate some other safeties next time I get a chance, but for a small CC gun, I still think S&W did good with this one. And I think the video was just a paycheck move..
 
I think so too. Besides, the manual safety on the Shield X I handled at the store wasn't working right either. But he could either make money on this or lose it; S&W has good lawyers, too. And reputational risks come at a very high cost... I like the manual safety on the Makarov pistol. It doubles as a decocker.
 
The BG 2.0 is the first handgun I own with a manual safety lever, is this one substantially different than most? I’ve shot many guns with a safety, by my memory, they were all larger levers and easier to move. Is that consistent with your experience?

I’d never pocket carry with a loaded chamber and without a holster. No judgement if anyone does that, but it’s not for me.

I’ll manipulate some other safeties next time I get a chance, but for a small CC gun, I still think S&W did good with this one. And I think the video was just a paycheck move..
Yes, my 2011s and CZs have bigger levers with pronounced ON and OFF position. Unlike BG trigger can't be pulled until safety in OFF position.
I think this video was a good warning for anyone who might consider pocket carry without holster. I won't, and you won't either. But some might.

For what it worth

1782855611986.webp
 
Last edited:
The most important safety is in your head. Ruger initially sold its LCP Max pistols in California without a manual safety; later, a model with one was released, and the versions without it disappeared from the market.
 
Ruger only knows how to make one model in .22 caliber; the rest of their stuff is ******. If they gift me an exposed-hammer LCR in 9mm a new addition to the California roster I’d be willing to test it and write a rebuttal. 😊
 
Back
Top Bottom