18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

S&W Bodyguard 2.0 Non-Comp Quick Range Report

Took bodyguard out today, shot comped and non comped slides side by side. I honestly couldn’t tell the difference. Beaver tail insert helped a lot, for the first time my hand wasn’t bleeding.
Today had quite a few issues with Armscor ammo, blazer and S&B cycled fine. Next step to test at least 100 rounds of each defense ammo before I consider to amend my permit and add BG
 
After analyzing what people on forums write about the ammunition, I would choose the 100-grain FMJ; it turns out to be the least accurate round, but it offers maximum power around 240 joules. I would pick the cheapest option and buy a large quantity. I would use them for extensive training and also carry them for duty use with this model.
 
After analyzing what people on forums write about the ammunition, I would choose the 100-grain FMJ; it turns out to be the least accurate round, but it offers maximum power around 240 joules. I would pick the cheapest option and buy a large quantity. I would use them for extensive training and also carry them for duty use with this model.
FMJ Is not an advisable defensive round - both from a responsible carrier standpoint and from a defensive standpoint.

Federal hydra shok deep works well and cycles reliably.
 
You would expect they install taller front sight and use optic which has built-in rear sight, or I am making too much sense?
The front sight is useless on that gun!

Agreed with your point 100%. It would have been easy at the manufacturer level to get a co-witness setup, but they missed an easy opportunity. Maybe they’ll fix this issue in a few months with the inevitable carry comp version?
 
Shot bodyguard again today, both slides. Non comped needed a bit more sights alignment. All ammo cycled and fed fine. Shot fiocchi, blazer, Armscor, S&B, Speer gold dot and hornady critical defense. Had couple light strikes with Armscor, but other than that no issues. What I learnt it’s very important to make sure recoil assembly installed properly. Even slight misalignment will cause issues. Same with last round in the mag, if top round not all the way in the mag it won’t feed properly.
Noticed today slide serrations on non comped slide are make it much easier to grab and rack the slide.
Once again didn’t feel any difference in recoil between shooting compd and non comped, other than felt debris flying in my face shooting compd.
If I had to choose today I would buy non compd.
Oh, and Galloway -10% recoil assembly works great. Highly recommended.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1069.webp
    IMG_1069.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 21
Shot bodyguard again today, both slides. Non comped needed a bit more sights alignment. All ammo cycled and fed fine. Shot fiocchi, blazer, Armscor, S&B, Speer gold dot and hornady critical defense. Had couple light strikes with Armscor, but other than that no issues. What I learnt it’s very important to make sure recoil assembly installed properly. Even slight misalignment will cause issues. Same with last round in the mag, if top round not all the way in the mag it won’t feed properly.
Noticed today slide serrations on non comped slide are make it much easier to grab and rack the slide.
Once again didn’t feel any difference in recoil between shooting compd and non comped, other than felt debris flying in my face shooting compd.
If I had to choose today I would buy non compd.
Oh, and Galloway -10% recoil assembly works great. Highly recommended.
I use the Talon front slide grips which work really well.
 
Did a thing today. Installed Mcarbo trigger and replace front sight on non comped slide with one from cc. Sold cc slide, buyer didn’t care for front sight as he was getting it to mill for optic
How's the mcarbo? I just had mine delivered after they started shipping backorders. Just need to find the time to install it. Was kind of hoping it would remove some of the side to side play in the trigger as well as the reduced pre-travel might help with the false reset you can get if you don't fully release the trigger/which can cause trigger freeze when shooting at speed for me.
 
What optic are people milling it for? I will say the Pebble is TINY.
Anything shield RMSc - so usually people go with the vortex defender ccw for an open emitter with clearer glass/dot can get brighter and the Holosun EPS Carry for an enclosed option.

I definitely prefer the defiant direct mill though over the monsoon plate system/cut.
 
Anything shield RMSc - so usually people go with the vortex defender ccw for an open emitter with clearer glass/dot can get brighter and the Holosun EPS Carry for an enclosed option.

I definitely prefer the defiant direct mill though over the monsoon plate system/cut.
Vortex also makes the defender CCW in enclosed, can confirm the dot gets extremely bright, it almost seems brighter than my SRO
 
Vortex also makes the defender CCW in enclosed, can confirm the dot gets extremely bright, it almost seems brighter than my SRO
Oh yah, I forgot about that. I guess it just seemed pretty large for the BG 2.0 so I personally stopped considering it as an option. But, it does share the footprint and could be a good option for someone.
 
How's the mcarbo? I just had mine delivered after they started shipping backorders. Just need to find the time to install it. Was kind of hoping it would remove some of the side to side play in the trigger as well as the reduced pre-travel might help with the false reset you can get if you don't fully release the trigger/which can cause trigger freeze when shooting at speed for me.
Did reduce pre-travel, still have a little side to side play. Haven’t shot it yet, but dry fire feels nice. Installation was a breeze
 
Took bodyguard out today, shot comped and non comped slides side by side. I honestly couldn’t tell the difference. Beaver tail insert helped a lot, for the first time my hand wasn’t bleeding.
Today had quite a few issues with Armscor ammo, blazer and S&B cycled fine. Next step to test at least 100 rounds of each defense ammo before I consider to amend my permit and add BG
How was the S&B? Europeans love the .380, wondering if they make a better range round.
 
Back
Top Bottom