18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Separate clothes for gun range?

Wow. I wonder how some of you manage to cross the street without too much fear. LOL. The only thing I worry about is using a backpack that has held my gear as a travel bag through TSA. I've been called out for that a couple times.
No one has fear, just curious about what others do.

It’s manly to not care about lead exposure levels? Kinda cringe dont you think?
 
I have separate range clothes and shoes. My range clothes have their own laundry bag which I keep closed. I wash my range clothes seperately from other clothes with d-lead detergent.

I use d-lead wipes for my face and arms after shooting, d-lead wipes for my range equipment, a seat cover for the drive home, and shower immediately with d-lead soap.

Finally I use nitrile gloves when clean my guns and wipe down the surface with the same d-lead wipes for my range equipment.
 
Huh I’m actually glad this thread came up, I’ve been shooting WAY more recently and have been really lax about the health aspect. Maybe I will stop sipping my coffee while shooting and change/shower right after…
 
Wow. I wonder how some of you manage to cross the street without too much fear. LOL. The only thing I worry about is using a backpack that has held my gear as a travel bag through TSA. I've been called out for that a couple times.
If you have a brain you value it's good to protect it from known harm. Same reason we shouldnt be smokers or abusing other drugs. Same reason you wouldn't play with estrogen patches if a woman in your life uses those for hormone-replacement.

Worse, lead won't just harm you, it will harm every living being exposed to lead by you; wife or significant other, kids, pets etc. This is the same reason one shouldn't smoke around other living things...if you care about them.
 
I’ve taken the general precautions folks have mentioned (mostly washing my hands and not eating or touching my face till they are washed after shooting). Back when I was in my late 30s, I used to shoot for several years in a row between 5,000 to 10,000 rounds a year mostly in indoor ranges. I used to take an annual lead test and often still do. My lead numbers have all been fine. If you get bloodwork done as part of your annual physical, ask the doctor to do a heavy metal test. Doctor will ask why and I say I shoot a lot and eat a lot of fish (mmmmm sushi). No doctor has ever pushed back.
 
I go to the indoor range in my jeans, boots, shirt, hat, ear protection, and safety glasses
  • I go through ~200-300 rounds or so rounds each visit
  • I take a pee after shooting and try not to pee on my shoes.
  • I drive home in the same.
  • I clean my guns in the same.
  • I put away my guns in the same.
  • I open a beer in the same.
  • I toss those clothes in the wash at the end of the day.
You get WAY WAY WAY more lead in your nose, eyes, mouth and lungs than what would be left on your clothes. I bet none of us wear a respirator or nitrile gloves, or sealed goggles while shooting. Just saying

I do wear nitrile gloves when loading my mags at home so I don't get finger prints/oils on my ammo
 
Last edited:
And when I was young and working on my family’s cars, I would practically bathe in leaded gasoline. My hands were always in the stuff. And I’m pushing 75. No effects yet. Grble….urkk….
 
Last edited:
you should train the same way you fight, that is why I do IDPA wearing a loin cloth while lathered in baby oil, 1911 guys look at me funny but glock guys ask me out on dates.........
 
I have some lead removal hand wipes that I use after packing my range bag.

My local indoor has awesome ventilation and de-lead soap.

If youre really concerned, theres blood based home lead test kits. You can also request lead testing on your blood panel during physicals or get tested through Quest Diagnostics. Generally speaking, lead does not purge from the body easily.
 
What about shooting at an outdoor area ?
With nobody next to you ....
 
What about shooting at an outdoor area ?
With nobody next to you ....
That’s the next plan for me. I dont have equipment or a spot. Most of the BLM spots near me are packed, and full of the same stupid people/ tourists you find at the indoor ranges.
 
Do you all have range-only clothes? Is lead actually a big problem?

I have my own de-lead wipes, though most ranges have de-lead soap.

Just wondering about the clothes and gear side of things. I saw some people online worrying about it. I personally don’t have range-only clothes, but I’m wondering if I should, and if I should use special laundry detergent and do a separate wash.
IMG_0215.webp
 
That’s the next plan for me. I dont have equipment or a spot. Most of the BLM spots near me are packed, and full of the same stupid people/ tourists you find at the indoor ranges.
I have a private area I can use at a friend's ranch.
Sorry,, I'm Friends with No one
 
I interact with children a fair amount, so I keep a separate set of clothes and shoes for when I'm done with the range, and throw them in a separate wash when I'm back home. If people want to be cavalier with their health, sure, whatever, everyone's got their own risk tolerances, but I think it's different when you have little ones in your lives.
 
Nike tech tracksuit and black air force ones, then toss the clothing in a surplus laundry bag for separate wash. Black air force ones get a light rinse then air dry.
 
I interact with children a fair amount, so I keep a separate set of clothes and shoes for when I'm done with the range, and throw them in a separate wash when I'm back home. If people want to be cavalier with their health, sure, whatever, everyone's got their own risk tolerances, but I think it's different when you have little ones in your lives.
Agree 100%.
 
Back
Top Bottom