18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Separate clothes for gun range?

How much lead or shooting people do that could see issues from the lead?

I never knew to do this but I barely only few times a year
From what ive seen, people that go to the range often and consistently had elevated levels, before taking precautions such as de-lead soap, separate clothes, instantly showering once you get home, etc
 
Most of the anecdotal stories of high lead levels I've heard are from people reloading ammunition and it was usually older folks that would dry tumble brass. The other group of people are employees that work at indoor ranges.

Ben Stoeger mentioned in one of his videos that his blood levels are fine and he shoots an incredibly high round count per year.

Ben said he shoots mostly factory ammunition and tries to shoot outside whenever practical.
 
I am around ammo, spent brass, and reloading more than most people. I don't wear gloves when handling anything, including cleaning guns, and I don't have range clothes or range boots or any of that. I wash my hands with soap and water, don't eat sandwiches while there's range/reloading dust on my hands, and don't touch "the dip" after cleaning my Glock barrels. I get my blood lead level checked about every other year and have no discernible amount. I also don't shoot indoors.

If I had kids at home I'd take precautions to keep them safe but what I've been doing for 30 years seems to be working just fine.
 
I've never realy thought about this. I always have worried about cleaning my guns. It seems like that would give you way more exposure then shooting.
 
Most of the anecdotal stories of high lead levels I've heard are from people reloading ammunition and it was usually older folks that would dry tumble brass. The other group of people are employees that work at indoor ranges.

Ben Stoeger mentioned in one of his videos that his blood levels are fine and he shoots an incredibly high round count per year.

Ben said he shoots mostly factory ammunition and tries to shoot outside whenever practical.
I’d also wager the type of indoor range matters a lot. I try to only go to ranges with good ventilation (The Gun Range and the VIP range at Sac Gun Club in Sacramento are both good) whereas I’ve seen some ranges with dead air and constant smoke hanging in the air
 
From what ive seen, people that go to the range often and consistently had elevated levels, before taking precautions such as de-lead soap, separate clothes, instantly showering once you get home, etc
With elevated levels it hurts the person, how does that affect family members?
 
With elevated levels it hurts the person, how does that affect family members?
Idk, I never mentioned that.

But im guessing if it’s on your clothes and hand, and you start touching everything at home, youre leaving lead residue around.

Little kids dont have the same tolerance for lead as adults, so that small residue might affect them more? Just a guess tho
 
No one has fear, just curious about what others do.

It’s manly to not care about lead exposure levels? Kinda cringe dont you think?
The use of the word cringe tells me all I need to know.
 
Lead levels in casual shooters are less of a problem than gluten insensitivity is if that tells you anything.
And yet I'm called an idiot when I suggest I don't worry about it. LOL.

I suspect some here never drank from a garden hose.
 
As usual the boomer straw man crew is here to post retarded facebook memes. We know that gun shot residue is toxic, we know that it can effect children and pets more than boomers who are minutes from dying anyway, and it's easy to not ingest it by washing yourself and your clothes. No one thinks you are cool because you don't wash yourself and eat hot dogs spiked with lead.
 
As usual the boomer straw man crew is here to post retarded facebook memes. We know that gun shot residue is toxic, we know that it can effect children and pets more than boomers who are minutes from dying anyway, and it's easy to not ingest it by washing yourself and your clothes. No one thinks you are cool because you don't wash yourself and eat hot dogs spiked with lead.
And yet I'm called an idiot when I suggest I don't worry about it. LOL.

I suspect some here never drank from a garden hose.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

jben, we're in that "soft men create hard times" phase.
 
And yet I'm called an idiot when I suggest I don't worry about it. LOL.

I suspect some here never drank from a garden hose.
you are literally an idiot if you think a garden hose has the same toxicity as lead oxides and the other chemicals found in gun shot residue. The oxidation state has a lot to do with the toxicity, elemental lead that's found in bullets is the least bioavailable and less of a concern while lead styphnate found in unfired primers and lead oxides found in the exploded products are more bioavailable and more toxic than just eating a bullet.
 
I'd be curious to know how many people who have strong opinions have actually had their blood lead levels checked, along with the type of shooting/reloading they do, along with the precautions they do or do not take.

I bet it would be telling.
 
Back
Top Bottom