18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Thread Crapping on listings.. Vote!

Take a survey

Do you want to allow thread crapping on listings?

  • Yes - should be able to comment on price

    Votes: 59 32.2%
  • No - No comments on price

    Votes: 84 45.9%
  • Emojis ftw! -💩🍆👍

    Votes: 40 21.9%

  • Total voters
    183
  • Poll closed .
I don't leave an emoji or comment because when no one buys the gun and they finally do lower the prices, I don't want them to pass over me because they remember "Hey that's the guy who threadcrapped me" and sell it to someone else.
 
I don't leave an emoji or comment because when no one buys the gun and they finally do lower the prices, I don't want them to pass over me because they remember "Hey that's the guy who threadcrapped me" and sell it to someone else.
Good point; that could be a fast track way to get put on their ignore list, and then not only would you miss out on that item, but you would likely miss out on anything else they may post for sale, regardless of objection to pricing.

Actions have consequences, and that would be a reasonable result and in their right to take such action.

It's all a very messy thing to start up, and I see no good result that can come out of leaving a comment or 'reaction' unless it were a positive response.

As a buyer, I also don't need anyone looking out for me; it's California, and it has a Roster. I've certainly inentionally overpaid for some of the obscure items in my collection because I could - whether the Roster was the reason or not - the item was harder to come by than the money was.

I'd like to be left alone to worry about my money and what I think is my limit or too expensive for me, and others can worry about their own shortcomings. I don't need protection from myself, and highly doubt others need it too. We're adults - we aren't feeble five year olds.

---
 
If you don't like someone's price just roll your eyes, laugh, flip the bird to your monitor or phone screen and move on.

Leaving a :poop: or calling someone a 🍆 does not lead to making this place better.
 
If yall think leaving 💩 emojis means bad, its not. You can play with the emojis. There is a gun you want, but yet don't have the funds, and the price better than average, someone might buy it.

You place a 💩 emoji on it. You hope others see it, and pass on it thinking maybe you know something they don't. This might buy you the time to scrounge up whatever funds.

Yall only seeing it glass half empty.
 
I don't leave an emoji or comment because when no one buys the gun and they finally do lower the prices, I don't want them to pass over me because they remember "Hey that's the guy who threadcrapped me" and sell it to someone else.
I have the opposite reaction in another forum. Got into a bit of a scuffle with a member, only to find they were selling a gun I wanted. We spoke, made the deal and laughed about our online interaction. In the end, we both came upon the idea of "it's just the internet. don't take it seriously".
 
Bottom line is we all know people are going to leave a comment even if the rules say not to. Emoji is a small way that scratches the itch without all the bickering once people get used to it. I need scalable rules because banning is not what I want to do or moderate constantly. It's a waste of everyones time. This needs to be scalable with simple rules. No comments only an emoji. easy peezy.
That seems to make the most sense.
 
Is the concept of a free market a scam?
Free market is still there, you can list the price, people just don't need to like it... As i mentioned the main reason is the overhead having to deal with managing no comments because the majority of people want to leave some sort of reaction/feedback. Most people are adults and should be able to handle an emoji especially if you're selling firearms. If you get angry or upset easily over an emoji it's time to take a break.
 
Free market is still there, you can list the price, people just don't need to like it... As i mentioned the main reason is the overhead having to deal with managing no comments because the majority of people want to leave some sort of reaction/feedback. Most people are adults and should be able to handle an emoji especially if you're selling firearms. If you get angry or upset easily over an emoji it's time to take a break.
For discussion, then, the “poll” really has no value except to form the basis for discussion.

Is it possible to filter the emojis to a simple 👍 or 👎? It’s inoffensive, concise, easy to manage and expressive.
It was good enough for the Romans in the Colosseum, so should be sufficient for this arena.
 
I've always thought negotiations and discussing price should be held privately between buyer/seller. If you don't want it, don't buy it, but don't crap all over the person's thread.
 
For discussion, then, the “poll” really has no value except to form the basis for discussion.

Is it possible to filter the emojis to a simple 👍 or 👎? It’s inoffensive, concise, easy to manage and expressive.
It was good enough for the Romans in the Colosseum, so should be sufficient for this arena.
Yes, pretty much and was mentioned as such. This comes up with every influx of users and we have to remind people. The whole idea behind the poll was to show its pretty close so No comments, will cause problems same as if we have comments. I have one set of emoji's for the entire board, so all are available to use. We don't restrict on cuss words, hopefully people can take an emoji. The rationale is everyone wants minimal moderation, but don't want to support rules that will get us there. So I have to make some choices since people here have very strong opinions.

I've always thought negotiations and discussing price should be held privately between buyer/seller. If you don't want it, don't buy it, but don't crap all over the person's thread.
This should always be handled in DM's. I'm not big on having it in the comments and no discussion, which is why the emoji is the compromise. It keeps it clean but the community can still check you.
 
If you don't like someone's price just roll your eyes, laugh, flip the bird to your monitor or phone screen and move on.

Leaving a :poop: or calling someone a 🍆 does not lead to making this place better.
Is that an eggplant?

As I said, all emojis are stupid. And there are so many that one needs to take time to look them up to figure out what’s being said. And who’s to say the emoji poster picked the correct emoji and whose to say the reader has interpreted them correctly?

I say all emojis should be eliminated. Use the English language. It’s so much better.
 
I say all emojis should be eliminated. Use the English language. It’s so much better.
Many of us speak more than one language here. Emoji's is as universal and understood by more people around the world. It's also hard since even when it comes to cussing, people don't want to use other words. lol.
 
Many of us speak more than one language here. Emoji's is as universal and understood by more people around the world. It's also hard since even when it comes to cussing, people don't want to use other words. lol.
Can relate. I speak in memes and reels sometimes. 🤣

Yes, pretty much and was mentioned as such. This comes up with every influx of users and we have to remind people. The whole idea behind the poll was to show its pretty close so No comments, will cause problems same as if we have comments. I have one set of emoji's for the entire board, so all are available to use. We don't restrict on cuss words, hopefully people can take an emoji. The rationale is everyone wants minimal moderation, but don't want to support rules that will get us there. So I have to make some choices since people here have very strong opinions.


This should always be handled in DM's. I'm not big on having it in the comments and no discussion, which is why the emoji is the compromise. It keeps it clean but the community can still check you.
Yeah I guess I've just never felt the need to be checked or criticized by anybody else before. I've always lowballed myself and even then, I still get people lowballing my lowball. That's just how forums go I guess. I agree, though, that people trying to rip off other people should be put in their place in some kind of way. I can see how the emoji thing is a good compromise. Devils advocate, I can also see how it can be used against you by people that just didn't agree with your pricing or you told them to move along. I dunno...managing a forum is hard. I'm glad you guys do it and not me lol
 
I can't think of a single emoji, currently existent or not, that I could every find offensive. It's a goofy cartoon image on...on the internet.
I guess it depends on the temperament of the person. Personally, if I got too many, it would make me rethink and take a look at my asking price again. I can also see how it would piss other people off that take things seriously. In the end, you can't please everybody.
 
The only comments that should be allowed in a FS listing are clarifying-type (e.g. “Is the optic included?” “Are those 10/30 mags?” “Will that flared magwell make me look fat?”).

Don’t like the price, move on. Who cares that it’s not priced at what YOU think it worth??

I'm with Joe. Clarifying questions should be OK, I don't see a need for any commentary on price or for emojis. For the record, all flared magwells make me look fat, but I cna see how some newbies might need guidance.
 
The key distinction between a store and an online forum is that everyone shopping at a store understands that it is a commercial, arms-length transaction, and the proprietor of said store has the privilege and the right to set his own prices without comment or interference from a third party. That shopkeeper has made investment in securing a physical space for the inventory, security to maintain that inventory, employee salaries, etc. etc. that entitles him to that.

An online forum is not that - the proprietor of the online forum is not a party to the transaction and is simply a facilitator of it. Other than the interests in maintaining civility among the thin-skinned, what's it to him as to what another forum participant says about pricing? One could make the argument that "post" is the seller's private store are that entitles him to the same privilege as the shopkeeper of the B&M. But other than the time spent by the seller to make the listing, he hasn't made any investment into the commercial endeavor that would entitle him to the same freedom from third party interference regarding his pricing. That's why I think it's fair game to comment on pricing, and distinct from the retail sales hypothetical.

I keep coming back to the community mindset of an online forum, where one's normal guards on pricing extremities may not necessarily be up.

All that said, the poll has spoken and it's neither here nor there for me because I can research pricing before making an offer. It should go without saying that folks new to buying and selling firearms online via PPT should do their research and perhaps purchase a copy of the Blue Book Values for the firearm of interest, and it wouldn't hurt to give fair warning along these lines.
 
Back
Top Bottom