18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Thread Crapping on listings.. Vote!

Take a survey

Do you want to allow thread crapping on listings?

  • Yes - should be able to comment on price

    Votes: 59 32.2%
  • No - No comments on price

    Votes: 84 45.9%
  • Emojis ftw! -💩🍆👍

    Votes: 40 21.9%

  • Total voters
    183
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, but people threatening other people in DM's is a bit over the top. Some people took it too personally and can't handle a little emoji. I knew some people wouldn't like it but making threats took it to another level. So, we had to adjust, to keep the emoji but make it less insulting while still getting the point across that their price is high.
I understand it...I’m just shocked that people are shocked by this. It’s part of the growth curve…when everything ramps up, every thing ramps up.
 
I understand it...I’m just shocked that people are shocked by this. It’s part of the growth curve…when everything ramps up, every thing ramps up.
yeah.. i knew some people wouldn't like it 45% but i didn't think 5% would start threatening people via DM's, not a good thing. SOOO adjustments are made.

Plus I snuck in a permission for CA Supporters, Supporters can now Lock comments and disable them.
 
yeah.. i knew some people wouldn't like it 45% but i didn't think 5% would start threatening people via DM's, not a good thing. SOOO adjustments are made.
All polls have an over-under of 3%-5%, so the “threat response” isn’t that surprising.

However, from the view of a Policy Wonk (me) I’d love to know if the 5% came from the 45% or the 55% sides of the ledger. If somebody supported the emojis, then got emojied, then threatened the emojier, THAT would be fun! Sorta, “Do unto others but not unto me.”

Best.
 
Last edited:
Just to provide some context with our growth, a lot of people still think we’re small. Sorta true and sorta not anymore. We’re adjusting things to keep the trend going and not slowing down along the way.

FYI these are Google analytics stats…

View attachment 38486
WOW….that growth line shows a steady and continued climb just after I joined. Coincidence? I don’t think so…..

You’re welcome! 😉
 
All polls have an over-under of 3%-5%, so the “threat response” isn’t that surprising.

However, from the view of a Policy Wonk (me) I’d love to know if the 5% came from the 45% or the 55% sides of the ledger. If somebody supported the emojis, then got emojied, then threatened the emojier, THAT would be fun! Sorta, “Do unto others but not unto me.”

Best.
From the reports.. its mainly from people who said, DM only!
WOW….that growth line shows a steady and continued climb just after I joined. Coincidence? I don’t think so…..

You’re welcome! 😉
Thank you for being a strong supporter and contributor here. You and others have added a lot to the content section and helping people including myself understand things I didn't know about.
 
Doesn’t seem like you understand the issue or the post. If you allow words, then there’s endless back and forth. Which there was regardless of the emojis.

The whole point is trying different things to land on something that works and can scale with the community. Since this post was posted, our traffic has grown 100% and doubled our users too from ~6k. Why wouldn’t we make adjustments to things now that we have experience?
Absolutely right, I don't get it. I'm just a simple dude and am just surprised that out of all the other important 💩 in life to talk about, the main focus of this here gun forum is about the appropriate use of emojis over the English language. Don't get me wrong, I'm behind the times and whatnot but I'm just discussing like the rest of yous, no ill intent.
Allowing words does have back and forth. Its called communication. You said it right, emojis do too. Mr. Swirly gets in there and then the eggplants and squirt guns start going back and forth, Haaaha 💩s hilarious man! Y'alls are funny. You got a good thing here. I dig it.
Users and growth comes with time. I spread the word about this forum. If people want Mr.Swirly then set him free. Hells yea man.
 
And what's this about threatening? And how does emojis mitigate that? So some dude gets upset because you swirled on his ad, he messages you with words saying to meet him at the bike rack for a bruisin...so the strategy is to reply with a face full of eggplants because this now stops the transaction of words? Am I understanding? This is how adults on a gun forum are supposed to handle anonymous threats? How about just ignore them and don't swirly peoples stuff in the first place?
 
And what's this about threatening? And how does emojis mitigate that? So some dude gets upset because you swirled on his ad, he messages you with words saying to meet him at the bike rack for a bruisin...so the strategy is to reply with a face full of eggplants because this now stops the transaction of words? Am I understanding? This is how adults on a gun forum are supposed to handle anonymous threats? How about just ignore them and don't swirly peoples stuff in the first place?
You're not wrong. But again, with this many anonymous butts, some will be hurt. If we could adopt an internet presence akin to that of a business office, the interactions could still be spicy but respectful and swirlies and eggplants would be served up and ignored. Alas, the internet is an undignified universe where indignation seems to be regarded as a right. The groundskeepers do their best, but I don't envy their job.
 
You're not wrong. But again, with this many anonymous butts, some will be hurt. If we could adopt an internet presence akin to that of a business office, the interactions could still be spicy but respectful and swirlies and eggplants would be served up and ignored. Alas, the internet is an undignified universe where indignation seems to be regarded as a right. The groundskeepers do their best, but I don't envy their job.
If someone's upset over an amusing cartoonish poop emoji, on the internet, we should all help them grow thicker skin by publicly outing and ridiculing them. 🧐
 
Yea that'll show em real good! Go get em boys! Gotta teach him a lesson, how dare they get upset at Mr. Swirly!
This is what I'm talking bout man, is it Jr High or High School in here?! Alright I'll stop I promise haaha. Y'alls all too much for me, I'm out of this thread. Thanks for the conversation and poll. Everyone play nicely with the pictures now. See yinz around!
 
Yea that'll show em real good! Go get em boys! Gotta teach him a lesson, how dare they get upset at Mr. Swirly!
This is what I'm talking bout man, is it Jr High or High School in here?! Alright I'll stop I promise haaha. Y'alls all too much for me, I'm out of this thread. Thanks for the conversation and poll. Everyone play nicely with the pictures now. See yinz around!
There a lot of other topics. This one went dormant for awhile, but I made some changes. This was just one of many. You’re focusing on one of the smallest changes but there is impact. The bigger impact is the direct messaging updates. Which I didn’t see you hop into. For 2A related things there’s several discussions.

The way we run things here is having a discussion. That’s how we’re able to grow from 0 to almost 13k in a year. People have a lot of gripes, tomorrow this will be a thing of the past now that the change is in. Some places do nothing and ultimately get left behind because they don’t listen to their members or pay attention to what makes it more useable. Next changes will be cosmetic and the mobile navigation will change since DM’s are popular here. Search will be updated and several other functional improvements to privacy are in the pipeline.

If you want to discuss other things there’s a lot when it comes to how we’re building the site to cater to the 2A community. There’s a change to the homepage to allow vendors to advertise services now so it’ll update more frequently.

Right now the goal is to make communication and searching easier while continuing to ramp up different sections of the site AND making minor adjustments like this. We have a new moderator and more tools to help organize content.

It’s going to take some time for people to get accustomed to it. The DM’s affects every user who uses the classifieds which are thousands of people. We’re already up to 70k messages there. Now people can see when people read messages and when if they’re a supporter.

The emoji is maybe 10-20 people tops. I have a list of tasks in the site feedback I work through. The framework for search is implemented which again affects all users who use the search bar but is waiting on some more fixes. We’re giving people tools to organize and find content better. Multiple prefixes is also being tested. We’ve expanded the categories for prefixes too across different sections.

All of these things were tested and implemented in the last 2 weeks. I wrote a high level post that maybe you missed. So it gave me a chance to expand a little on the work I’ve put into this place. Not to mention changing the underlying software stack and converting it to docker containers for better automation. Come back later, you’ll see a bit of changes happening real soon.
 
Yes I have not yet had the opportunity to explore much of this place but from what I have experienced it is very impressive. Thank you for your hard work. I look forward to navigating through and experiencing them. Yea I missed out on a lot, that's why my replies seem like I'm stuck on a three month old topic haha. All is great man, like what you're doing with the place!
 
And what's this about threatening? And how does emojis mitigate that? So some dude gets upset because you swirled on his ad, he messages you with words saying to meet him at the bike rack for a bruisin...so the strategy is to reply with a face full of eggplants because this now stops the transaction of words? Am I understanding? This is how adults on a gun forum are supposed to handle anonymous threats? How about just ignore them and don't swirly peoples stuff in the first place?

Click on the report button for the post and it will be taken care of.

If someone can't play nice they will have to find some other corner of the www to hang out in.
 
Last edited:
Best not to interact with people getting emotional, especially on something the person is selling. Life is too short to get into it with others online IMO
 
Also note, I spend a lot of time and effort to build this place as a lounge for everyone.

But it's ok for someone to drop a deuce emoji on threads.
IMO, that does not lend itself to having a polite society.
 
But it's ok for someone to drop a deuce emoji on threads.
IMO, that does not lend itself to having a polite society.
If you noticed, that was changed and why I brought this post back up. I suggest you click on the 💩 emoji now to see the change.

I also added a new emoji $. I didn’t think it was a thing since it was about price and not people. But as you note, some people get emotional over an emoji about their price.
 
But it's ok for someone to drop a deuce emoji on threads.
IMO, that does not lend itself to having a polite society.
If you’re talking about forums, no one has raised an issue and I added a dislike button too. If people get offended and raise an issue then it’ll be addressed. The poop was meant to be more funny but some people take it too seriously
 
Back
Top Bottom