18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Anybody else also thinking of getting out of 45 ACP?

My 1911s just sit there because ammo cost is too high to do high round counts thanks to the extra taxes. I feel like if i don't buy at least 1k rounds at a time, I'm paying too much in taxes, even though 1k rounds normally adds 50 bucks in tax. At least my 1911s are clean.
 
Got a 9mm about three years ago been shooting it a lot but last year got the 45 out got reloading and shooting it more often. And it definitely hits the steel hard.
 
Anybody else in the same boat?

"Getting out of" a caliber? Mmmm... nah. I think the only calibers I ever "got out of" was 7.63 x 25 because I sold both Broomhandles, and and 7.62 Nagant because the revolver is a piece of şħíț. I probably still have a box of ammo, but I don't like shooting the gun. Otherwise, I just keep guns forever. And I still like most of my .45's.
 
I vote Keep it for the historical significance. I didn’t care for 45 much until I started learning about the history of John Moses Browning and the evolution of the slide operated semi auto handgun. It’s pure genius, and to think they invented something early 1900s that is the basis for modern handguns is crazy.

so I keep my 1911s, despite shooting mostly 9mm, mainly because of the history and the significance of their role to get us to where we are today
 
Just being honest, I always considered 45 "my round" or caliber and 9mm being more of a women's round. (hold on before the flames)
Used to think Glocks were thee ugliest plain janes I've ever laid eyes on....(funny how things change with a little experience)

Moving now to current times....I love my 1911's in 45' but they rarely come out to play. 9mm is a softer shoot and less pricey for the ammo (big factors for aging hands and wallet)
9mm gets almost all the love, and I now see the simplicity of a Glock as genius with regard to the reliability of the design.
I do own a 21SF but my 19's and 17's see the most range time. The HD P4 is a pleasure to handle....and compared to a Wilson Combat professional in 45...way less recoil with increased manageability. Wilson makes a hell of a firearm but it comes with a pretty good "kick" when fired
I guess that makes me a woman's gun lover? (my wife shoots better than me anyway) Hahaha
 
Last edited:
I got out of 45 ACP years ago because as a reloader having to separate brass with small vs large pistol primers was a total nightmare. After that it just became a matter of modern 9mm ballistics and capacity are better defensive solutions for me. There's also the matter of new guns tend to only be in 9mm.

Oh yeah, and cost, whether I'm buying new ammo or reloading 9mm is simply cheaper.
 
Nah. I’m keeping all of mine. I have 7 total along with around 1500 rounds that haven’t been shot it a while. Several of them are borderline collector status. As far as shooting they’ve been taking a back seat to my 2011s recently. But they are great for forcing me to improve my grip and presentation.
 
.45 ACP speaks truth. I will always have 1 or 2.
9mm is fine for lighter applications such as CCW, training or just plinking.

.45 ACP is an All-American round. I like to keep it American.

I still have 1 1911, Officer size and an N-Frame revolver in .45 ACP
Just bought a 9mm pistol because I have so much ammo stashed.
I actually was thinking about getting a PCC in 9mm. But, ... this puppy ain't going nowhere.

Kimber-Carry-II-(2).png
 
Last edited:
Sold my CZ 97B couple of months ago, was very sweet and soft shooting gun. CGW 1911 style bushing and CGW SAO conversion made it best 1911 I ever shot. Miss it sometimes, but it wasn't getting any range time
A 97b was the best 1911 you ever shot? Huh? I think you meant best 45. The 97b is a completely different design. I ditched my 97b exactly because I prefered shooting 1911s.
 
Man shooting .45 especially in a 1911 feels so natural on the hand. Even 9mm and 10mm feel excellent but in .45 its perfection. Bless Mr JMB!
 
Back
Top Bottom