18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Anybody else also thinking of getting out of 45 ACP?

357 and 38 special are literally the same caliber, just as 9mm and 380 acp are.
So, what was your complain than in the first place? Whatever your "freedom units" are, a .380acp is still (and exactly) a 9mm kurz/short.
Considering the fact that 9mm Luger was in use before Browning designed the .380acp, it may be entirely possible he took a hint from a 9mm Luger blueprint.

But, nevermind. I get the "freedom unit" lingo when people load "bullets" into their firearms.
 
No plans to get out of .45ACP. I love my 1911's my S&W Model 22 and 1917. I do regret not buying CZ97 back in 1998 when I tried it out. I loved it in SA, but the DA reach was for miles and at the time, and a few times since, I couldn't justify picking one up when I had 1911's in the safe. I had an old Browning BDA in .45ACP I should have kept but the sights were rough on those. Should have gotten the P220.
 
So, what was your complain than in the first place? Whatever your "freedom units" are, a .380acp is still (and exactly) a 9mm kurz/short.
Considering the fact that 9mm Luger was in use before Browning designed the .380acp, it may be entirely possible he took a hint from a 9mm Luger blueprint.

But, nevermind. I get the "freedom unit" lingo when people load "bullets" into their firearms.
Your nitpicking via pointing out that 380 ACP and 9mm are the same caliber, while I was specifically excluding the 9mm caliber from my list yet still included 380 ACP in it, is technically correct. I extrapolated on your nitpicking game in that I additionally included the same caliber in the list twice, 38 special and 357 magnum. You failed to catch on to this when I pointed it out, in that you did not understand that these two cartridges share the exact same caliber.

As for freedom unit, that was a joke in reference to your preference for using the German "kurz" over and over, instead of simply referring to it as 380 ACP. This is America, not Deutschland. I understand that 9mm and 380 ACP are the same caliber, and have for many decades.

Hit Factor correctly pointed out the topic, "cartridge" vs "caliber".

Anyways, have a great weekend. Hit the range.
 
Nope. I shoot .45 for less cpr than 9mm these days. I have a 5gal bucket of brass, hundreds of lbs of lead, bags of powdercoat, and an old toaster over. And for SD, I like throwing ashtrays.
 
Your nitpicking via pointing out that 380 ACP and 9mm are the same caliber, while I was specifically excluding the 9mm caliber from my list yet still included 380 ACP in it, is technically correct. I extrapolated on your nitpicking game in that I additionally included the same caliber in the list twice, 38 special and 357 magnum. You failed to catch on to this when I pointed it out, in that you did not understand that these two cartridges share the exact same caliber.

As for freedom unit, that was a joke in reference to your preference for using the German "kurz" over and over, instead of simply referring to it as 380 ACP. This is America, not Deutschland. I understand that 9mm and 380 ACP are the same caliber, and have for many decades.

Hit Factor correctly pointed out the topic, "cartridge" vs "caliber".

Anyways, have a great weekend. Hit the range.
Sorry your "freedom units" are so uptight. I merely meant to mention that .308 ACP is also called 9mm kurz. It is not a "preference" of mine. I don't even shoot the damn round. The fact that the Walther PPK is one of the world's most famous small hang guns isn't my fault either. Bother "calibers" can be shot interchangeably, which cannot be said about .38 spl & .357 magnum. Even though they are the same caliber.

Wish you the best, Mr. Freedom-Units.
 
If you are wanting out of 45ACP. Please do so as soon as possible, so that the market for 45ACP ammo becomes more readily available for the rest of us.
 
I'm just getting into 45 ACP lol

I want my home defense pistol to be a 45.

Got my first 1911 and loving practicing with it. Once I get better with it I hope to have another that has a rail on it.
 
.45 ACP is my caliber of choice for a self-defense hand gun. Ideal for open carry.
I can't say that I ever had to use one in a self-defense situation, but the argument of having substantially more stopping power is not lost on me.
with the right shot placement, 9mm is deadly. No question. But, simple stopping power is not a reliable argument.
This, this and did I mention this... If .45 was the same cost of 9mm more people would choose it do to it's stopping power and great for a CCW. Sure gel test 9 penetrate the same 12", but take that round and compare it to a .45 on steel and see the difference. Sure 9 has capacity and a lower recoil, but if your first round impact take the same time .45 would be my round of choice. 10MM is also a great choice especially for a woods gun loaded with a 200grn truncated hard cast pill boogying @ 1400 fps is also a freight train that's gonna have some serious knock down power. A quick 10mm slide, barrel and mag on a G21 gives you options that makes this platform a keeper.
 
Last edited:
This, this and did I mention this... If .45 was the same cost of 9mm more people would choose it do to it's stopping power and great for a CCW. Sure gel test 9 penetrate the same 12", but take that round and compare it to a .45 on steel and see the difference. Sure 9 has capacity and a lower recoil, but if your first round impact take the same time .45 would be my round of choice. 10MM is also a great choice especially for a woods gun loaded with a 200grn truncated hard cast pill boogying @ 1400 fps is also a freight train that's gonna have some serious knock down power. A quick 10mm slide, barrel and mag on a G21 gives you options that makes this platform a keeper.

I will disagree with that... Majority sucks even with 9mm... How do you think they'd handle 45ACP, much less 10mm... :p
 
This, this and did I mention this... If .45 was the same cost of 9mm more people would choose it do to it's stopping power and great for a CCW. Sure gel test 9 penetrate the same 12", but take that round and compare it to a .45 on steel and see the difference. Sure 9 has capacity and a lower recoil, but if your first round impact take the same time .45 would be my round of choice. 10MM is also a great choice especially for a woods gun loaded with a 200grn truncated hard cast pill boogying @ 1400 fps is also a freight train that's gonna have some serious knock down power. A quick 10mm slide, barrel and mag on a G21 gives you options that makes this platform a keeper.
The capacity and weight alone make 9mm a winner

I like my 1911 but there's no real ballistic superiority with modern 9mm being so good
 
I will disagree with that... Majority sucks even with 9mm... How do you think they'd handle 45ACP, much less 10mm... :p
True, but most people think they're good just owning a firearm, but then get humbled at the range, class, etc. Before a relative took her CCW course her target look like she was shot with several rounds of buck @ 10 yards. After a few minutes of couching I got her to be able to group in the 10 ring consistently.
 
The capacity and weight alone make 9mm a winner

I like my 1911 but there's no real ballistic superiority with modern 9mm being so good
For me I'd rather have a 230grn hardcast vs a 147grn hardcast bullet for hunting/hiking/camping. For a quick run to the gas station, with a compact/sub compact CCW that has a 6-7 round capacity .45 for me. If you're going to the mall, costco, movie theater or other place where mass shooters like to prey upon people, a double stack 9 all day long.
 
Back
Top Bottom